X360 HD-DVD drive on Vista confirmed.

How about XP support? Hmm, for some reason I doubt it. Probably firmware has restrictions purposly to keep those with XP from using it.

For data reading it is moderately plausible.

For everything else (data recording/archiving is a no-go, of course) it will have little appeal, as to watch a HD-DVD movie HDCP-enabled graphics cards and displays will be a requirement (unless ICT-restricted resolutions qualify as "HD").

For data reading it is moderately plausible.

For everything else (data recording/archiving is a no-go, of course) it will have little appeal, as to watch a HD-DVD movie HDCP-enabled graphics cards and displays will be a requirement (unless ICT-restricted resolutions qualify as "HD").

No ICT flags till 2010+

I'm getting one for a HTPC to play around with. Should be fun :)

According to Amir on avsforum (VP and MS Consumer Media Division) the drive will be recognized as an optical drive in XP but stopped short of talking about further software/driver support. Basically, wait for a 3rd party.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's not a burner I dont see much value. What am I missing?

I'm sure no software will ship on the format for years.

Watching movies on PC is not a fun experience so that's out.

I guess, if you aren't planning to buy a 360 this would work as a cheap HDDVD? I dont know. Good to see it though.
________
Live sex

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's not a burner I dont see much value. What am I missing?

I'm sure no software will ship on the format for years.

Watching movies on PC is not a fun experience so that's out.

I guess, if you aren't planning to buy a 360 this would work as a cheap HDDVD? I dont know. Good to see it though.

There's a fairly decent sized niche for HTPC's (and growing). This would be perfect for them. Intervideo and someone else already have HD DVD software support for the Toshiba HD DVD laptop. I'll be curious to play with it once I get it.

I've found that generally the people who have the best entertainment center setups have a PC that acts as the controlling center for it all. Plus with video cards bring in ever growing video enhancement features having a PC for your HD-DVD player could be a very good and economical idea.

Back