www.techingames.net - A Game Feature Tracker and Comparison Database

No problemo. :)

Kind of wonder if a spreadsheet format would work easier. :p

For quick checking of certain information, certainly. But if you go to a specific feature in the feature database and you click on that, you should get an overview for all games entered so far for that feature now already. In the future I can look towards a way for entering data that way too of course.

For now I've created an edit-info badge giving information who added, edited, and verified information. If you want, AlNets, I can give you admin rights in the site so you can stamp your approval on some of the data right there. ;)

And whoops, I also published my broken view details experiment. :p But it does make for a better overview ...

Ok, tested and adding devs works again (the json audit had an issue, which I fixed by changing the json settings - done that earlier, but hadn't actually then used the settings parameter ... >_>). Also front page is now a bit easier to read. Some nicer looking things here and there. Still lots to do!

Thanks, Davros. There were a few records created in my testenvironment with a user that didn't exist in production. I've fixed that everywhere now.

As a small update, I've fixed the graphs now, issues look nicer, with images where available, and reputation overview in the (currently still very basic) user control panel is more readable, with links to what reputation was earned for.

Worked on some data-entry efficiencies. You can now create one version, and then copy that version to all other platforms in that generation. This will create a copy of the version, and copy all features to that new version if they don't exist already. If that generation is the 8th generation, it will automatically create a PC version as well, BUT ignore everything under the Graphics tree. This will save a good deal of work with data-entry. I'll look at creating more of such efficiency improvements now that the general features are slowly getting there.

I've also added an option to format values, e.g. 30 fps, 45 GB

So, I've been working on the layout for a bit, adding tabs and changing colors to match the dark theme for beyond3d and neogaf a little bit (nice coincidence that they are similar ;) )

:)

Are you changing the box details to a shade of grey (instead of white)?

Any thoughts on grouping the "New" items by platform and then by newest? Just feels a bit chaotic with the mash-up of colours.

Actually, the box details are transparent, so they are very light green for MS Platforms, very light blue on Sony platforms, etc. ;) But I'll see if making them a touch less transparent looks better now (EDIT: Done)

And yeah, some kind of grouping would probably be nice, but I'm not sure yet how.

Last edited:
Added a tab called Examples to the feature overview page, that brings all feature related information that was linked to a feature value for a specific game version together under one tab:

photomode_feature_examples.png

I had the luminous idea at work that it would be a good idea to link the Neogaf official threads to the games in the database. I'be never thought the search interface on gag was too efficient at finding them, and this way they can be retrieved much faster. And they contain great info on the games' features as well. Already added a bunch of the currently active ones.

Also wondered if it was possible to use a site's favicon as a nice little graphic to put in front of a link and sure enough that was a piece of cake, so that'should there too. Also added anew auto embed feature for YouTube so you can just paste the regular YouTube link and gave the embedded videos a bit more space.

Added leaderboards ... :)

And the top user is
me!

On a serious note people it would be nice if some of you could join and help us.
It takes max 5 minutes to add a game and even adding one game a week would be a meaningful contribution.
Me and Arwin can't do it all alone, especially Arwin that is only human ;)

Last edited:
Made some additions - adding Notes and support for TextArea features (so basically, can add something like description of the plot ;) or add some note details.

I actually don't want you to ... I have this idea that we could define genres in terms of features that a game has.

Genre definitions are always awkward as some titles don't fit a box conveniently and/or straddle conventional genres. The idea of genre features makes some sense. eg. Borderlands would have ticks for FPS, and 'loot and level' (which many would call RPG but which I'd recommend against). One would probably have to try to draw up a set of qualities and try out a load of titles to see if it'd work in the long run though.

Back