Would you "work more hours" to afford a PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich

Newcomer
Not sure if this has been posted already but I could not find any reference to it.

Well according to Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi you will. Here are a couple of interesting quotes from an article on Canoe WHAM Gaming:

http://wham.canoe.ca/Tilley/2005/07/03/1116909-sun.html

Securities firm Merrill Lynch revealed this week they figure the PS3 will come out at a retail price of $400 US, which would likely see it sell for closer to $500 in Canuckbucks.

Sony will initially lose $100 US on each console sale, thanks to its roster of pricey components. But increasingly kooky Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi says you'll buy PS3 at any price -- even if you have to get a second job at Burger King to pay for it.

"Our goal for PlayStation 3 is for consumers to think to themselves, 'I will work more hours to buy one,' " Kutaragi told the Japanese magazine Toyo Keizai. "We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

I do not know but somehow I know I will not be forking over that much money for a gaming / whatever else SOny feels the PS3 is machine. Not sure if adding Blue Ray at this stage is the best option especially if it puts the price of the console out into the stratosphere.

I really don't think Sony will make it $399 or whatever price ML estimated it at. There have been similar reports in the past, and Sony has agressively cut down prices to remain competitive.

If Sony were to retail the PS3 at a substantially higher price than the X360, then they have a bigger battle than the one they already have on their hands.

When you take quotes out of context they send the wrong meaning.

Something you value and you think is worth it, means you may invest more time and effort into getting it. I think that's all KK is saying, he wants people to really want the PS3 that bad, he wants them to "feel" that way, hopefully he doesn't force many to have to act that way.

Speng.

No, $300 on bust.

If it truly launches for $400 I'll wait it out. X360 and XBL should keep me plenty busy...plus launch Sony consoles are crap anyways.

Psychogenics said:
Yes I would work alittle harder to get the PS3 if it is priced higher,Why Not it has the technology. :LOL:

I wish it had the technology to run a game like Oblivion, or Morrowind for that matter. :?

OpaOpa said:
I wish it had the technology to run a game like Oblivion, or Morrowind for that matter. :?
Ouch. :LOL:

True statement... but still...

Anyway... I will very likely get myself a Playstation 3... will it be at launch? Probably not but that is entirely up the wheither or not it has some games at launch or within the first 6-12 months that I am going to want. The problem is so far I don't see any in the fiscal year 2006 that I am going to want... there WILL be games at the XBox360's launch that I will want and several more during it's first 6-12 months so I will be purchasing a XBox360. Will I be willing to work EXTRA to afford an more expensive Playstation 3 that is technically inferior to the XBox360? Again depends on the games... but probably not. I expect to end up with a Playstation 3 and a XBox360 regardless... as for Nintendo... hrm... not on the track they are currently on, and that is a darn shame considering I grew up with them. Then again the Nintendo today is completely contrary to the Nintendo of the 1980's and early 1990's.

OpaOpa said:
Psychogenics said:
Yes I would work alittle harder to get the PS3 if it is priced higher,Why Not it has the technology. :LOL:

Isn't that the reason why People have PCs though..... ;)

All he means is that the PS3 will be worth working extra hard to buy one asap. You will want to work overtime to get it (most people don't have $300 disposable income each week). Its already been _confirmed_ that its pricing will be in range with PS2s. 8)

Korrupt said:
The GameMaster said:
OpaOpa said:

How so?

Well... it is a bit difficult to describe why without getting extremely technical. The Playstation 3 certainly CAN handle Elder Scrolls 4 : Oblivion graphically... but...

No... this is a story for another day... it is the forth of July... go outside and enjoy the fireworks.

The GameMaster said:
Korrupt said:
The GameMaster said:
OpaOpa said:

How so?

Well... it is a bit difficult to describe why without getting extremely technical. The Playstation 3 certainly CAN handle Elder Scrolls 4 : Oblivion graphically... but...

No... this is a story for another day... it is the forth of July... go outside and enjoy the fireworks.

I'm not american, spill it! :p

Korrupt said:
The GameMaster said:

I'm not american, spill it! :p

There will be plenty of opportunities in the future for this kind of debate that will sure to let off some fireworks in this and other forums. It is late and I need some sleep after several hours of blowing stuff up... on that note... have a good night all.

Actually I take that back, the PS3 could handle Morrowind with it's 256 megs of general RAM. Oblivion would be impossible.

PS3 will have a HDD, no one ('in the know') claims its less powerful than x360, stop the full-force trolling Opa.

Hey...let's nitpick more comments taken out of context, why don't we? :rolleyes:

This just in, J. Allard really expects a billion people to sign on to Live. :rolleyes: PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back