WM10 no fullscreen?

Sxotty

Legend
So I was watching a clip from comedy central, and I was using wm9 but it had errors, so I dl'ed wm10 and could no longer put it in full screen. Is that some new setting? The reason I never use quicktime is b/c you cannot use fullscreen, which is crap, if I am sitting on my couch I want the stupid thing fullscreen even if it is low resolution.

Anyway what is the deal? Is there a work around? Should I uninstall WM10 and try to get the codecs only or some other way to get it back to usual?

anyway thxs for any tips.

You didn't mention what you tried or what the error was, so I have to assume you just couldn't find the "Full screen" button. You can always (watch them change this now...) use the keyboard shortcut ALT+ENTER to toggle in and out of fullscreen mode. You can also find this option under "view" options in the menu (right-click the top app boundary and choose "view" in the pop-up menu). Furthermore, putting WMP 10 into full screen mode will temporarily leave the application borders at top and bottom. These slide in and out of view if you move your mouse cursor. If you leave the cursor over these bars they will not slide off the screen, so center your mouse to have them get lost.

Here is a picture which shows the "full screen" widget control for your mouse-clicking pleasures (circled in red as mouse cursor does not show up using printscrn):

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, thanks, but yes I use alt enter.

You could also right click and go zoom-->full screen, neither worked.

I was watching the http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831?htv=12&htv=12 link here. When I used WM9 I got an error half way thru (but I could use alt+enter to get full screen) so I went to my other computer that has wm10 and I could not longer get it full screen, it plays embedded in a web page, but I could still always get full screen before, maybe it is some weird fluke, I dunnno, if no one else is experienceing this then...

BTW I used both firefox and internet explorer to see if it was one of them, but it was the same either way.

ifilms server was having issues, but I would not imagine that would cause the lack of ability to go to full screen.

Anyway I appreciate your input even if it did not solve the issue. I guess I will just have to fiddle later.

Heh. I know a lot of people had problems figuring out the interface to WMP10 so I thought maybe you were having the same issue (and my telepathy is at an all-time low).

I just tried the iFilm link and it doesn't play full screen. The commercials do. This is probably just a case of DRM disallowing full screen so that content cannot easily be recorded to other media or displayed on large screens for public viewing. At least you are not alone with the "no full screen" problem.

UPDATE: Some clips seem to allow full screen viewing. The "Kennedy: Your Mama" clips plays fine in full screen glory. It may be that certain sources do not allow it some do. In any case, this can be controlled by WM 10 content management (which is ALL about control).

I apologize for the lengthy "newbie" response I first made. I didn't know if you were playing a stream or a downloaded clip.

Wireframe, I appreciate the attempt at help though.

The point is that the clip DID play fullscreen in WM9 (till it crashed about 50% thru).

That leads me to believe there is some way to get it to work in an alternate program with the same codec, or something.

Anyway I just figured some illustrious individual on this board had figured it out. If this becomes common, I think that someone might actually fix it a la quicktime alternative...

I couldn't get it to go fullscreen, but it doesn't crash with WMP9 here.

EDIT:
Actually, after I tried it again, it runs in fullscreen mode. Just double-clicked it. Hmmm...

EDIT2:
I never installed WMP10 and use ACE's codec pack, if that's of any help to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the iFilm clip again (and what a great clip to watch multiple times) and now it WORKS in fullscreen mode (WMP10)! Something screwy must be going on with that stream.

I recommend you try it again. I get the feeling someone has been messing around with the stream or the server. Nothing is wrong on your end.

Ok I will try it when I get back from work. Thx.

So does this mean that there has always been the ability for WM to forbid fullscreen you think? Or was it possibly just an error?

It would be reasonable to think that there is a way to forbid fullscreen, though I don't know really.

It's happened for me that WMP has gone screwy, particulary when upgrading from an older version on a OS install that has been afflicted to some degree of "winrot" (ie: not been reinstalled for 1.5+ years). At least once, the problems I had with WMP was that it simply refused to go into fullscreen mode no matter what. No movie would do it.

Last time this happened for me was when upgrading from WMP8 to 9 quite a while ago, but as I guess most changes between versions are purely cosmetic, the underlying problem might still exist even today.

Sure, I'm two weeks late, but I've always been able to make it fullscreen. I can't do it with alt-enter, right-click on the video -> zoom -> full screen works and double clicking on the video works sometimes too.

Back