Wither Warner?

No offense but as I have pretty much zero at stake, it's A-OK for me to focus on whatever window I wish. :) Were I betting on one side or the other, than I'd be foolish not to take a longer term looksee.

Sorry I meant to have that come across as a jest. :p

Thanks for the #s. At a $99 price point, just how many HD DVD players do you expect to move a month?

It's hard to say as the only data we have is one day's worth of sales. However they moved 90,000 units (could have been more too if they didn't sell out) in one day; I'd imagine they do pretty well if that was extended to a whole month.

I'll defer to your deeper experience on this subject as I have zero knowledge of BR players out there. I know that Onecall is selling two BR players as we speak for $299 but I have zero clue as to their version #. On the subject matter of BR players, are versions locked? That is, is it impossible for a 1.1 player to be upgraded to 2.0?

And what exactly does 2.0 get you anyhow? Do discs not work on older machines or is that a distinct possibility of some sort?

Here's the difference between specifications. The current $300 Blu-ray player is only profile 1.0. It's essentially impossible to upgrade a 1.0 player to 1.1 and the same goes for 1.1->2.0 (save the PS3) because of the different hardware requirements in each profile.

Still waiting on that unicorn price quote...

I don't have all day here. I've got another guy offering me a killer deal on some nice swampland in Arizona as well.

Woah.... what has this thread become ?

BDA will do whatever necessary to maintain the lead, including rolling out low cost standalone Blu-ray players, cheaper PS3 + upgraded firmware, etc.

HD DVD will do whatever necessary to try to not die (Whatever float their boat).

Currently, it is clear that more consumers buy and rent Blu-ray movies in US and rest of the world. In 2008, HD DVD forum will have to try harder if they want to succeed.

Do they still have the Yacko, Wacko, and Dot locked up in the water tower? :|

EDITED BITS: For those poor unfortunate souls who don't get it

I probably wouldn't have done so otherwise, but the BOGO HD DVD offer Amazon is running got me to jump in and pickup Warner's first 4 Harry Potter movies. At just $10 a movie, I had to bite. It would be nicer if those HD DVD discs were Combo DVD discs.

I certainly hope Warner does not jump to BR-exclusive.

Back