Wireless network Help

Jimothy12

Newcomer
Hi everyone,
I have a delima. I have recently purchased a very old house. I have Comcast cable internet coming in on my main level. There I have it connected to a wireless routor. My problem is, only one bedroom on the third level can pick up this wireless signal. Is there something (a bridge?) I can place in this bedroom which will wirelessly relay the signal to the rest of the bedrooms?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

you could have another router ;) (or more accurately, a wifi access point. which is one thing a router does). I never did such a setup but it should work I think. another thing you can have is network over the electrical outlets but it's expensive and will be terrible if your house electricity wiring and stuff is bad.

Good idea about the network over electrical however the house is old and the wiring is like a 2nd grader did it. So I dont know if that will work.

Will a Wifi access point pick up a wireless signal then broadcast it further? If so, is one brand better than another?

Thanks again

First, try channel 11. That seems to suffer from the least interference, and it's the only way that I can get decent signal throughout my house.

Blazkowicz_ said:
you could have another router ;) (or more accurately, a wifi access point. which is one thing a router does). I never did such a setup but it should work I think. another thing you can have is network over the electrical outlets but it's expensive and will be terrible if your house electricity wiring and stuff is bad.
It won't work by default IMHO.
For example in order to use such configuration with Linksys WRT54 , you need to flash custom firmware (like DDR-WRT) in one of the routers.

chavvdarrr said:
It won't work by default IMHO.
For example in order to use such configuration with Linksys WRT54 , you need to flash custom firmware (like DDR-WRT) in one of the routers.
Do you? I thought it had WDS support built-in (at least, I think that's what WDS does. Can't remember right now).

The Baron said:
Do you? I thought it had WDS support built-in (at least, I think that's what WDS does. Can't remember right now).
I'm not 100% sure for current models&firmware, 1 year ago that was the situation - flashing 1 router with DDR firmware, allowed "lazy WDS", for "real WDS" both had to be re-flashed.

Back