Wireless Access Point for Windows?

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Is there any way to turn XP into a wireless access point with decent security? Ad hoc can only do WEP and a limited WPA-None that might as well be WEP. Can't believe that there seems to be no way to do this.

Have been looking for this as well, but didn't find a solution. :(

(Have a notebook with only one LAN port that I wanted to run as server and wireless router)

good question.
I for one am in a rural area, no encryption at all, my neighbors being a few hundreds meters away.
but if like me you're only using two crap USB wifi keys for net sharing, at least you can somewhat count on their limited range and hope you don't have some close (geographically wise) geeky neighbor that tries to break into your WEP network :)

I'm not sure if I got the question right.
Do you need stand alone WAP or one on pci card ?
I'd suggest you to go and get D-Link product, then to flash it with one of open source firmwares, they add much more functionality (like for example bridging 2 WAPs, although normally you'll need 2 bridges...)

I'm tired of buying crappy routers. I don't even want a WRT54G. I was hoping to just use my wireless NIC as a access point. XP has network bridging that gets the job done fine. I set up ICS to share to a XP network bridge consisting of a wired NIC and the wireless NIC. From what I've found the Ad Hoc mode limits you to 11 Mbps and WEP. It's very fast though, no added weird router latency from half-ass cheap and buggy internal hardware.

Considering it will only be used by visiting friends, that's going to be good enough for me I guess. I was just hoping for a full-blown access point mode or software for Win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back