Windows Vista RC2 (Build 5744.16384.061003-1945) available for DL

Himself - I couldn't see the other changes at first glance either, see my post in the RC1 thread. Then I researched it a bit and now have a good understanding of what they've been doing for the last 5 years. The changes in Vista really are quite sweeping.

Oh, I've read all about what's supposed to be improved and fixed, watched a few presentations about things like the I/O model adding a way to cancel a transaction etc, and yes it's a beta, well release candidate 2, still I will have to use it extensively to see if anything really was fixed. 90% of the info on that link I don't use in xp or care about, all I am interested in is in the kernel and the actual OS stuff, not about windows defender and other stuff they added on. I don't enjoy waiting for the search to filter out some names in a folder, it shouldn't be like a virus scan, etc. Bottom line, I will have to be convinced that the actual operating system at the fundamental level is better in practice rather than theory. I am sceptical that MS is actually doing anything fundamentally differently than before in a way that the end user will care about. They admit that putting drivers and other things in user mode will slow things down, but it's necessary and good, I'll wait and see how good it is or if something else will be a problem instead. First impression is that they are keen on everything being the MS way, and will force you to conform this time around, removing work arounds.

I've been patient with MS already, I'm still waiting to see some real changes instead of going with $$$$ and compatibility.

Very well. I hope you understand why Sugarcoat and I went after you like that though. You were posting with a "I downloaded this to give myself ammunition to make fun of it with" tone. And we're being a run of the mill anti MS pundit. I don't take issue with a decent post about why you're unimpressed with or at least skeptical about Vista, but the "omg lol @ M$" thing was a bit pointless.

It honestly amazes me that people cant look past the cosmetic cover or spend 5 minutes to search or learn. That apparently "I'm paying x amount of money for aero? Vista sucks!" is the trash that comes out of people.

Read it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

It is not XP with a wrapper or a different UI. If people cant see that, thats their friggan problem. Whether or not its worth the money to you is not the issue. People still use win98 and 2k because XP isnt worth the money to them, bringing up cost is completely meaningless. Proclaim you're going to stay with XP for the next 6 years cause from your experiance with a beta it sucks. Thats right, be a rebel, go against the grain, perhaps make an online petition or start a club, just know that most of us really dont care.

:rolleyes:

That link has been thrown in my face countless times. Nothing listed impresses me in the least and the vast majority of those "features" are utterly useless or small updates to what is already in XP. Windows mail is actually worse than Outlook in XP imo.

The biggest update to the os is the graphical interface and DX10. UAC is so horribly implemented I'll never use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
geeez, guys, are you working for Microsoft? In OS dev ? What's so wrong if someone says he is not impressed by RC2 !? :rolleyes:
Eventually he'll like it.
Eventually he won't. Whats good for one can't be good for everyone

UAC is so horribly implemented I'll never use it.
If you're a sane user you don't use your computer with an Admin account, and so UAC allow you to auto log as Admin whenever you click an install exe, which is rather nice.
So UAC isn't a burden at all in that case, now, if you're a sys admin, I'd understand your will to slaughter all those lamers @ MS who created that stupid crap.
(Yeah, it's one of those days I'm pissed off by MS shit...)

For those that have been following the development of Longhorn in the least the past 5 years you should know what a far cry Vista is from what was originally promised and shown four plus years ago. They screwed up along the way and decided the os was a mess that had to be rewritten from scratch; so they took XP, improved it and slapped on a new UI. Original ideas were delayed, then scrapped one by one to what we have now.

For the final topping they make 5+ versions (there will be many more business editions as yet unannounced) to jack prices up, make DX10 Vista only as well as a number of games as an "incentive" for people to 'upgrade', add a new DRM service embedded into the os that cannot be stopped, add their new "Software Protection Platform" that will waste bandwidth and create an extra layer of possible problems (aka false positives and other errors as has happened recently with "WGA") to invade privacy, assume the buyer is a criminal, check if the os is "valid" every 180 days and lock it out if not (so those who do not have an internet connection are SOL) while hackers laugh in their face and finally slap a sticker on it proclaiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread that everyone must have in order to be up to date and secure in addition to having support for future M$ software.

So, XP....or a slightly updated XP with a new UI and a bunch of extra boloney added on. That's the way I see it at least, if you don't then we can agree to disagree.

Until the OS has been launched and had time to mature, i think its quite unfair to think of it as simply a new UI and an addition of DRM, and that Microsoft is releasing it just to vacuum up peoples money. People really like to make things sound alot more horrible then they may actually be, certainly includes you ANova. Point being, like many things in the computer industry, your opinion is void until proven true, and until then, Vista deserves the benefit of the doubt. But personally, by your standard and simplistic of description of Vista, its a wonder you arent still using Win95.

I did have to chuckle at your comment about it being BS that Microsoft is equipping vista with more anti-piracy features, so personally i cant take your comments about this particular thing too seriously when you're already against paying for a legit copy of the OS. Cant show much more hate for a peice of software then expecting or feeling as if its your right to get it free in my opinion ;).

Does anybody know if running the Vista system recovery tool will alter the boot loader so that it no longer gives you the choice to boot into XP? I do not want to lose my XP partition but would like to fix Vista so I can continue to play around with it.

Until the OS has been launched and had time to mature, i think its quite unfair to think of it as simply a new UI and an addition of DRM, and that Microsoft is releasing it just to vacuum up peoples money. People really like to make things sound alot more horrible then they may actually be, certainly includes you ANova. Point being, like many things in the computer industry, your opinion is void until proven true, and until then, Vista deserves the benefit of the doubt. But personally, by your standard and simplistic of description of Vista, its a wonder you arent still using Win95.

All well and true except for the fact that it is at the RC2 stage, meaning it is feature complete. What you see currently is what you'll get aside from some new sounds and possible UI tweaks, it is hitting RTM next month you know. I think it is fair to judge it now, maybe not from a stability standpoint but certainly in features.

I did have to chuckle at your comment about it being BS that Microsoft is equipping vista with more anti-piracy features, so personally i cant take your comments about this particular thing too seriously when you're already against paying for a legit copy of the OS. Cant show much more hate for a peice of software then expecting or feeling as if its your right to get it free in my opinion ;).

I never said anything of the sort. I said it is too expensive, prices are increasing afterall. Why should I pay more for something that is essentially a small update packed with more annoying anti-piracy crap that does nothing but hurt the paying consumer? Do you really think hackers won't find a way around this? How much do you want to bet the OS will show up on the usual sites shortly after or possibly even before the os is released void of all of the activation and checking. But according to you I should be happy about MS adding more and more junk to make sure I payed right?

While I don't agree that it's a small upgrade in any sense, I agree that it's too expensive. Furthermore, I do not believe that it's worth upgrading to simply because XP works very well.

However, with a new computer, you should really pick Vista over any XP option since Vista is actually better than XP. There's a great deal of under-the-hood changes in Vista that geeks would be excited about but most people will see the graphics and think that's all there is. Now if you get a Mac or use Linux, so much the better ;)

For the average person, that's enough to make them love Vista. For the people who actually understand, Vista will be consider pretty good. For those who only know half of anything, they'll dismiss it as a graphics upgrade without really knowing.

The sad part is that a lot of the things they'd be bashing MS for are actually addressed in Vista.

Until the OS has been launched and had time to mature, i think its quite unfair to think of it as simply a new UI and an addition of DRM, and that Microsoft is releasing it just to vacuum up peoples money.

if Microsoft isn't a money vacuum.. why is it so that if I buy a Dell I pay something like 40 euros, for windows, but for a PC I build on my own with a mix of used and cheap new parts, I'd have to pay 100 euros for it.. and why is it so that you have to pay again for the same version of windows if your motherboard dies or you upgrade it, or pay 300 euros instead for the same windows but without that objectionable restriction called "OEM".
With the added DRM, OEM licenses might be much more strictly enforced, and that's evil. We're supposed to buy Windows at the price of a full PC? because, you know, "something wrong could happen to your OEM licence" ?

yes, microsoft vacuums up people's money, the same way oil-rich dictatorships and drug warlords do.

For the average person, that's enough to make them love Vista. For the people who actually understand, Vista will be consider pretty good. For those who only know half of anything, they'll dismiss it as a graphics upgrade without really knowing.

The sad part is that a lot of the things they'd be bashing MS for are actually addressed in Vista.

I understand perfectly well. I've gone over all the improvements and additions, most of which don't mean anything to me and many of them are just security enhancements which never affected me to begin with. If you use a hardware firewall, a decent browser such as Opera plus common sense that means 99% less viruses and malware without even the need for updates. Having said that, yes Vista is an improvement overall but the added DRM, activation and limited use combined with the increase in price turns me off completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand perfectly well. I've gone over all the improvements and additions, most of which don't mean anything to me and many of them are just security enhancements which never affected me to begin with. If you use a hardware firewall, a decent browser such as Opera plus common sense that means 99% less viruses and malware without even the need for updates. Having said that, yes Vista is an improvement overall but the added DRM, activation and limited use combined with the increase in price turns me off completely.

You either add DRM to what record companies etc RIAA and whatever want, or you don't play HDCP protected medias, you don't use stuff like Urge and other online music download stores etc etc
I doubt MS just added it to be mean or something.
And activation things, they are just trying to make sure their OS gets pirated as little as possible, it does annoy the legit users, but it's either that or helluva lot more pirated Windowses out there

And activation things, they are just trying to make sure their OS gets pirated as little as possible, it does annoy the legit users, but it's either that or helluva lot more pirated Windowses out there

I don't agree with this. If MS lowered prices (even if only a little), allowed you to install multiple copies and got rid of the activation I would bet alot of those who pirate would buy it instead. Adding more of this makes me want to pirate it.

If you're a sane user you don't use your computer with an Admin account, and so UAC allow you to auto log as Admin whenever you click an install exe, which is rather nice.
So UAC isn't a burden at all in that case, now, if you're a sys admin, I'd understand your will to slaughter all those lamers @ MS who created that stupid crap.
(Yeah, it's one of those days I'm pissed off by MS shit...)
Why, because the internet is a scary place with tons of malware :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :?:
Stop using IE and outlook and you'll never have a problem.
Maybe when I lose a ton of data I'll consider being a humble user, but untill then I'm a big badass admin :cool:

I don't agree with this. If MS lowered prices (even if only a little), allowed you to install multiple copies and got rid of the activation I would bet alot of those who pirate would buy it instead. Adding more of this makes me want to pirate it.

The price is the main reason why I will not be getting Vista. Its simply far to expensive for the version I'd want to get it. Its 1/3 of the cost of my entire system. I'll personaly be sticking to XP for at least another year, it days everything I need right now.

The price is the main reason why I will not be getting Vista. Its simply far to expensive for the version I'd want to get it. Its 1/3 of the cost of my entire system. I'll personaly be sticking to XP for at least another year, it days everything I need right now.
You actually pay for windows?
:LOL:

Back