Windows Vista RC2 (Build 5744.16384.061003-1945) available for DL

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
Directly from Microsoft
32bit direct download:
http://download.windowsvista.com/dl....061003-1945_x86fre_client-LRMCFRE_EN_DVD.iso
32bit using Akamai download manager:
http://download.windowsvista.com/pr....061003-1945_x86fre_client-lrmcfre_en_dvd.iso
64bit direct download:
http://download.windowsvista.com/dl...061003-1945_x64fre_client-lrmcxfre_en_dvd.iso
64bit using Akamai download manager:
http://download.windowsvista.com/pr...061003-1945_x64fre_client-lrmcxfre_en_dvd.iso

And the site itself:
http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc2/en/download.htm

Checksums:
32-Bit
MD5 hash: 83cee5f1642d094670147c5350c57762
SHA1 hash: 067CA4F94D001DE6276F08F76EF0780592B64BFD
64-Bit
MD5 hash: 23b213d7342b2e957b3db1d98c0ee3e6
SHA1 hash: 5D8C4BCEE51F6912801800E534F6DB5A22F654AE

edit: Do note, that the Vista site itself is still in "RC1 mode" and might never start to point to RC2 stuff instead, as the RC2 page suggests you might not get the same level of support for it as you get for RC1

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh great. I just upgraded to RC1 a couple of days ago.
Wasn't expecting it myself lol. But this is the last public/connect build before RTM. Guess this gives software, gaming, nvda/ati devs time to make things right. (January right?)

What download speeds are people getting with these, im barley getting 160KB\sec. Its almost painful watching it download at that speed.

What download speeds are people getting with these, im barley getting 160KB\sec. Its almost painful watching it download at that speed.

I'm atm in "refugee" at my parents after breaking up with my girl, living here 'till I find myself a new place.
Now, I'm behind 1MBit down DSL, and downloading both clients at the same time, so don't come talking to me about painful :LOL:

Just installed the DownThemAll extension for firefox and now im getting 1.7MB\s download, much better :p

Kaotik, sorry to hear that........................................ 1 meg really sucks :LOL:

Well, this is just wonderful. I am trying to download both the x86 and x64 verisions, but there are problems. First, my RC1 Vista install BSODed for no apparent reason, but the download manager restarted both downloads no problem. I let it run until the x86 completed (it's 1GB smaller), whereupon the file was corrupt. So I restarted both downloads (5GBs down the drain), and this time the x86 finished correctly. However, at about 93% of the x64 download I opened WMP11 and upon closing it, it did something... I don't know what, but the dl manager said that the network connection had been interrupted. I let it continue the download thinking that such an error couldn't corrupt the file, but sure enough when it was done thing was toast. So now, 10GBs later, I'm starting the x64 download again, but this time downloading directly using FireFox. I imagine it's much more reliable.

Do you have an Nvidia card? MS really dropped the ball with RC1 and shipped a buggy Nvidia driver that BSODs the install. Lovely.

RC2 finally fixes that at least.

Well I still got a freeze and had to manually reset to complete install with this build. Otherwise its running fine. The Nvidia drivers in this build (x86) are much newer than the ones you can download and Aero seems much less sticky on my test system's FX5500, which was a pleasent surprise. I'm still waiting on at least feature complete X-Fi & ATi drivers before I install on my main rig.

Downloaded x64 version, installed it as home basic, kinda nifty looking, but nothing exciting, more windows stuff to turn off, yay, cpu usage is higher playing step into liquid (dual core 47% vs xp 40%). Slower in general but to be expected with a beta os and drivers not optimized for it fully yet. 10GB windows folder on ntfs, that's impressive, lol Ac3filter and sound in general not quite there yet, settings that wouldn't stick properly, networking with other computers no easier, managed to locate a way to add a shared folder on another drive, both with same workgroup name but that didn't work, probably windows on the other end not being vista, even more stuff to wade through.

They have an OS that is pretty close to XP with some good changes under the hood from moving drivers into user space and all, so they say, but still had to reboot several times, changing workgroup name being one of them. Had a few windows lock and remain white for a while, thought that kind of thing was supposed to be fixed. Kinda nifty icons showing up on the start menu, the gadget bar is pretty nifty but unlikely that I will ever use it. Overly done shadows on windows, windows look like something from linux or macos. Tried changing appearance to something I would go wow over, couldn't find anything.

I just downloaded it, but I am hesitant to install it. I was wondering if you can roll back to XP should Vista RC 2 cause some serious driver problems as I do not want to install Vista only to find out it does not support a device on my computer and then be forced to reinstall XP from scratch.

I just downloaded it, but I am hesitant to install it. I was wondering if you can roll back to XP should Vista RC 2 cause some serious driver problems as I do not want to install Vista only to find out it does not support a device on my computer and then be forced to reinstall XP from scratch.

There is no rollback. You need to dual-boot.

There is a Vista upgrade advisor tool that kindof tells you if all of your hardware is supported or not. The thing with this beta, as with all betas is that you shouldn`t download it if you`re not into tinkering and putzing around with stuff. It won`t work as neato-clean as XP, and drivers on the video and audio part are...how should i put this...not up to snuff imo.

I'm getting right around 600kb/s 700 tops. I'm pretty excited about this, I've been holding off on Vista and this will be my first time trying it. However, I totally forget how to burn ISO's and I'm pretty sure I don't even have a burning program on my computer. Any suggestions?

Does anybody know if it is possible to dual boot with a copy of 32bit XP Media Center and 64bit Vista. I was planing on installing Vista on a new 20GB partition I created and letting it handle the dual boot, but I am unsure if there will be compatibility issues between XP 32bit and Vista 64bit.

Should be possible. I'd use something like Partition Magic to create the partitions before you try installing though. You need to install Vista onto a primary partition IIRC.

For Imgburn, you start the program, open the .iso file, choose the burner and then click burn.

Back