Windows Vista RC2 (Build 5744.16384.061003-1945) available for DL

Should be possible. I'd use something like Partition Magic to create the partitions before you try installing though. You need to install Vista onto a primary partition IIRC.

For Imgburn, you start the program, open the .iso file, choose the burner and then click burn.

I used Acronis Disk Director which seems to work pretty good. I guess I will have to change the 20gb partition to a primary one because I formated it as a logical partition.

Since windows is showing it as a .rar should I change it to ISO?

If you have everything as .rar and .r## (.r00, .r01, .r02, ... .rXX), then you need to decompress (unRar) it. Rar is a means of compressing and splitting of large files into more managable pieces. I suggest using 7-Zip.

Well I downloaded it from the link provided and I extracted it and all I got was a read me txt file.

How many .r## files do you have and what size are they? Did you select all the files contained within the .rar? (7zip can be a bit quirky, depending on what action you take, if you're browsing inside an archive, it only extracts what's hilighted.) I usually right-click on the file and select Extract-To from the context-menu.

WinRar associates itself with ISO files. If nothing else on the system has associated itself with them and you have file extensions turned off they will appear to be WinRAR files.

I have been playing with the 64 bit version for a couple of days now. Seems pretty solid from what I can tell.

Nvidia drivers seem kind of borked in some games though.

CoH
BF2

I get flickering in CoH, and nothing in BF2.

I have been playing with the 64 bit version for a couple of days now. Seems pretty solid from what I can tell.

Nvidia drivers seem kind of borked in some games though.

CoH
BF2

I get flickering in CoH, and nothing in BF2.

nVidia drivers are indeed pretty pure crap still, in 5728 they apparently didn't even let Vista know it's time close down Glass, when a fullscreen game was started (at least on me, ATI Beta drivers + X1800XL, Glass shutted down properly when ever I started fullscreen game (alt+tabbing showed that glass is off, ofc))

When I grabbed it, I fully saturate my line at 600kb/s. Of course I was using the direct link with DtA extension inside Firefox (on RC1) =)

I grabbed mine off usenet and it fully saturated my 12mbit/sec line.

Downloaded x64 version, installed it as home basic, kinda nifty looking, but nothing exciting, more windows stuff to turn off, yay, cpu usage is higher playing step into liquid (dual core 47% vs xp 40%). Slower in general but to be expected with a beta os and drivers not optimized for it fully yet. 10GB windows folder on ntfs, that's impressive, lol Ac3filter and sound in general not quite there yet, settings that wouldn't stick properly, networking with other computers no easier, managed to locate a way to add a shared folder on another drive, both with same workgroup name but that didn't work, probably windows on the other end not being vista, even more stuff to wade through.

They have an OS that is pretty close to XP with some good changes under the hood from moving drivers into user space and all, so they say, but still had to reboot several times, changing workgroup name being one of them. Had a few windows lock and remain white for a while, thought that kind of thing was supposed to be fixed. Kinda nifty icons showing up on the start menu, the gadget bar is pretty nifty but unlikely that I will ever use it. Overly done shadows on windows, windows look like something from linux or macos. Tried changing appearance to something I would go wow over, couldn't find anything.

You should have just installed Ultimate to check out all the features, also Home Basic doesn't have the fancy 3d rendered UI.

You should have just installed Ultimate to check out all the features, also Home Basic doesn't have the fancy 3d rendered UI.
It's also over seven fucking gigs to install. That seems... uhhh... excessive.

I wanted to see what most people would be looking at when it comes to vista, few will be paying extra $$$ for vista ultimate. :)

Unless you are planning on running Vista on like a 20gb hard drive or something, who cares about how big it is? The final install is over 10Gb, but when common hard drives are 200Gb+, does it really matter? Why not just install the full Ultimate and see whats there.

Just installed 64-bit Vista Ultimate, rather painless and seems to install quite well for a beta. My sound drivers do not work, which is a bummer. I like the visual effects that they have added, especially the transparency around boarders of the windows. No real performance difference between XP and Vista in terms of just browsing the internet and having multiple windows open, although I have yet to test any resource intensive programs. The gadget bar on the side is cool, but a bit intrusive and I do not find the information it offers to be rather useful... well, I guess the temperature thing is cool.

Just out of curiosity, what are the recommend system requirements for Vista Ultimate? I have an HP with 1GB of RAM, a dual core 4200+ AMD Althon 64, 250GB Hard Drive and a Sapphire X800 GTO2 and it seems to run fine for me.

Just out of curiosity, what are the recommend system requirements for Vista Ultimate? I have an HP with 1GB of RAM, a dual core 4200+ AMD Althon 64, 250GB Hard Drive and a Sapphire X800 GTO2 and it seems to run fine for me.

Well Ultimate is just extra content and access to future content but for Vista Premium, which includes the Aero, the requirements are:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
* 1 GB of system memory.
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum), Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
* 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
* DVD-ROM Drive.
* Audio output capability.
* Internet access capability.

I've tried it on a 2.8Ghz P4HT, 1Gb RAM and X1600Pro 512 as well as a Centrino notebook 1Gb RAm w/5650 Go chipset and both run really well apart from the bad ATI drivers on the X1600 chipset.

Back