Windows Mobile 7 phones start leaking

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Dell lightnng is the first to leak.

04-21-10lightp.jpg

xmvlac.jpg

4.1 inch screen is amazing and its a slider.

Also note that eventhough the slides are date 3/30/2010 they are probably a lot older than that. All the apps on the screen are place holders (Bing iPhone app and Zune HD interface), they called it Windows Mobile 7 (it's Windows Phone 7), It supposedly has a micro-sd slot:MS has already announced that WP7 won't support expansion cards and finally Flash and Silverlight won't be supported in the browser at launch contrary to what is said in one of the slides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder whether there will be Windows Phones with HDMI outputs like HTC Evo 4G? If zune HD can be connected to HDTV and even playback 720p streams on it I hope that something like that will be possible on those WP7 devices.
If not, I'm going to buy android device with HDMI output even though I prefer WP7 looks but if I'm to choose functionality over looks I take functionality.

I wonder whether there will be Windows Phones with HDMI outputs like HTC Evo 4G? If zune HD can be connected to HDTV and even playback 720p streams on it I hope that something like that will be possible on those WP7 devices.
If not, I'm going to buy android device with HDMI output even though I prefer WP7 looks but if I'm to choose functionality over looks I take functionality.

The zune hd needs a dock. So I'm sure it will be teh same with the win mo 7 phones.

Probaby quite a telling sign of the times is that along with this WM7 phone, Dell will be releasing 4 models with Android.

Considering that andriod is already released and has been avalible for what a year now while winmo7 wont be avalible till sept the earliest doesn't really tell us anything but that.

The question is how many win mo 7 phones dell will put out next year vs how many andriod phones.

The other flip side is that apple has already shown that you don't need dozens of diffrent phone models to sell a platform

Probaby quite a telling sign of the times is that along with this WM7 phone, Dell will be releasing 4 models with Android.

That's a decision made by Microsoft. They no longer want OEMs to build tons of different SKUs/models of Windows Phones. They prefer to have one big seller instead of 15 not-so-hot handsets. You'll see the same thing with HTC. They won't have tons of WP7 handsets (actualy, only one is in the works for this year)

Two reasons:
1) WP7 is simply brand new. Or will be.
2) 3 of the 4 Android phones are midrange. And you can't make a midrange WP7 phone, at least for a while. Microsoft's hardware guidelines won't allow it. E.g. HVGA displays and non-Snapdragon SoC are not supported yet.

Two reasons:
2) 3 of the 4 Android phones are midrange. And you can't make a midrange WP7 phone, at least for a while. Microsoft's hardware guidelines won't allow it. E.g. HVGA displays and non-Snapdragon SoC are not supported yet.

Aye if you look back at andriods release it took a long time to get traction with the amount of phones released.

Also in some cases you have andriod phones competing with andriod phones.

Apple has the right idea , 1 phone a year that way you don't have to worry about 2 months later a better phone than yours pops out. I know many friends with driods that are pissed about the htc super sonic and incredable coming out so soon after droid.

Two reasons:

Pity, would like to see an OMAP4x WP7 device at some stage.

Aye if you look back at andriods release it took a long time to get traction with the amount of phones released.

Also in some cases you have andriod phones competing with andriod phones.

Apple has the right idea , 1 phone a year that way you don't have to worry about 2 months later a better phone than yours pops out. I know many friends with driods that are pissed about the htc super sonic and incredable coming out so soon after droid.

Getting mad over new models is just stupid. Apple doesnt have the right idea. Apple has the right idea for their own business, not for their users.

The moment you buy a new phone I assume you buy it because you feel like that model gives you want you want. So it does what you want meaning you made a good purchase. Why get mad if something new comes out? Your phone still does everything you initially bought if for. The new model maybe just does it better. I dont see why you should do something like a yearly upgrade. Does it really matter if you phone gets ''outdated'' after 3, 6 or 12 months? The result is still the same right? I bet they dont complain how AMD keeps releasing new videocards.

Getting mad over new models is just stupid. Apple doesnt have the right idea. Apple has the right idea for their own business, not for their users.

The moment you buy a new phone I assume you buy it because you feel like that model gives you want you want. So it does what you want meaning you made a good purchase. Why get mad if something new comes out? Your phone still does everything you initially bought if for. The new model maybe just does it better. I dont see why you should do something like a yearly upgrade. Does it really matter if you phone gets ''outdated'' after 3, 6 or 12 months? The result is still the same right? I bet they dont complain how AMD keeps releasing new videocards.

when there are programs that don't work on your 3-6 month old phone there would be a problem don't you think ?

Even back when win mo was big it would get 1 to 2 phone releases a year per carrier. Normaly it be the full touch or the touch with a keyboard.

Issue with the apple model would purely be that your phone contract is going to be significantly longer than the upgrade period. You'd feel stuck with last years model when the last one comes out. IMO this is not actually an issue, not now anyway. Perhaps with the original iPhone when people didn't know a new one was going to come out that quickly, but now it should be expected.

Issue with the apple model would purely be that your phone contract is going to be significantly longer than the upgrade period. You'd feel stuck with last years model when the last one comes out. IMO this is not actually an issue, not now anyway. Perhaps with the original iPhone when people didn't know a new one was going to come out that quickly, but now it should be expected.

My sprint plan allows for a $150 phone credit each year . SO i basicly get a new phone every 12 months.

Is good stuff

when there are programs that don't work on your 3-6 month old phone there would be a problem don't you think ?

Even back when win mo was big it would get 1 to 2 phone releases a year per carrier. Normaly it be the full touch or the touch with a keyboard.

No. You buy a phone on what it does now, not based on what it might or might not do 6 months from now.

No. You buy a phone on what it does now, not based on what it might or might not do 6 months from now.

That's frankly quite a narrow vision.

Think Touch Diamond vs iPhone 3G (2008).

The TD did more stuff than the 3G initially, but the addition of just apps totally flipped the whole landscape. It's not like buying a computer where the ecosystem is always proven and everything is a near-constant.

So? I actually have a TD and it still runs all apps and I can still run pretty much everything that comes out on it. Yes games wont work probably but I dont care about games on my phone anyway. You dont need something like a phone model lasting 1 year for that.

In the end, it really makes no different. See it like this: You got a phone and new models on a regulair basis. What will happen is this. Apps will come out. Probably 99% will work just fine for atleast 1 or 2 years. Sure it might run faster on the newer models, but it will still work fine on your. Only exception being games but who buys a phone based on games?

The other case would be where you have 1 model each year. In that year 100% of the apps will work. After that 1 year you will get apps that will only work with the new model.

So at the end of the day you end up with pretty much the exact same situation. For me, that 1% or less apps that might not run on my phone after 3 to 6 months is such a low amount I couldnt care less. I rather have the advantage of always being able to buy the best specs out there unlike having to wait 1 year for a new model. The other big disadvantage of that is price. 1 model a year means you can keep prices high. With regulair newer and better models the price of the older, but still capable of running pretty much everything, models will get lower.

Just compare the iPhone with other phones. Buying a iPhone is like getting ripped off but being happy about it.

Back