Windows Media Player 11 freezes on some vids

PARANOiA

Veteran
Heya,

I'm using WMP11 at the moment, and for some reason it locks up when I play some XVID and DIVX video files. The strange thing is I can use MPC and it doesn't lock up at all.

Any hints?

Quite likely you have a broken codec somewhere. Download a codec pack and install that.

Heya,

I'm using WMP11 at the moment, and for some reason it locks up when I play some XVID and DIVX video files. The strange thing is I can use MPC and it doesn't lock up at all.

Any hints?

Yeah I get owned too with HD files using DXVA, reverting back to WMP10 solves the problem.

Hmm, lets see, M$ software doesn't work right but free non M$ software does work right...
-> Use MPC, leave WMP closed and be happy :p

Media player classic is the best. It does it all, and everything else as well. Did I mention that it is free?

By DXVA do you mean PureVideo?
If yes, you just need to add the filters under:
View>>Options>>External filters...
mpcrr5.jpg

If you have some DVD player softwares installed (such as WinDVD) you can put their MPEG-2 decoder (which should support DXVA) filters in the MPC filter list and MPC will use them. Similarly, MPC can play WMV9/WVC1 files with DXVA support.

WMP 11 uses a very strange way to play files (IIRC it uses a wrapper filter to wrap a DirectShow graph, very weird), so sometimes it doesn't work when MPC works well (MPC uses DirectShow directly). For example, WMP 11 doesn't display anamorphic 16:9 WMV files with correct aspect ratio (WMP10 doesn't have this bug).

If you have some DVD player softwares installed (such as WinDVD) you can put their MPEG-2 decoder (which should support DXVA) filters in the MPC filter list and MPC will use them. Similarly, MPC can play WMV9/WVC1 files with DXVA support.

WMP 11 uses a very strange way to play files (IIRC it uses a wrapper filter to wrap a DirectShow graph, very weird), so sometimes it doesn't work when MPC works well (MPC uses DirectShow directly). For example, WMP 11 doesn't display anamorphic 16:9 WMV files with correct aspect ratio (WMP10 doesn't have this bug).

I can't even use WMP 11; it breaks DXVA for me altogether, reverting back to WMP 10 fixes it. I'll try using CyberLink filters tomorrow, thanks for the advice.

Ehh, no. There's options missing that I like, it also has never run well on any of my Windows based machines. Works great for Linux, but I can't stand it in Windows.

Really? I dont run Linux at all. What are wrong with your Windows Machines? :LOL:

It plays DVD, RVMB, WMV, DIVX, AVI, ASF, XVID. I know cos I have tried all those, it probably plays other formats that I havent mentioned.

What options are you missing as well? Wait, Nevermind, use what works for you lol. Works fine for me. :p

Really? I dont run Linux at all. What are wrong with your Windows Machines? :LOL:

It plays DVD, RVMB, WMV, DIVX, AVI, ASF, XVID. I know cos I have tried all those, it probably plays other formats that I havent mentioned.

What options are you missing as well? Wait, Nevermind, use what works for you lol. Works fine for me. :p

Its not a problem of what it plays, it played all of my media. It was the fact that I get super blocky images when skipping through parts of large video files, it would slow down for no reason, etc etc. That was across two formats (same hardware though). I might try it out on my new installation, we'll see.

VLC is not bad but it's all software decoding, so it's relatively slow compared to accelerated decoders like MPEG-2 or VC-1. And VLC don't skip well... if something is too slow to decode, it just keeps dropping frames without displaying anything.

VLC is not bad but it's all software decoding, so it's relatively slow compared to accelerated decoders like MPEG-2 or VC-1. And VLC don't skip well... if something is too slow to decode, it just keeps dropping frames without displaying anything.

Yep! I only ran into this problem with the Windows version and not the Linux (Ubuntu), not sure why but that's how it was.

Back