Windows 8.1 Black Screen

I am so frustrated right now...I have the weirdest issue I have seen yet. New computer build:

Asus Z87 Pro
Team Extreme DDR3 2400 Ram (2 x 8 GB)
i5 4670 CPU
Asus 270x GPU
Samsung 256 GB EVO SSD
Windows 8.1 64 bit OS

So after a nice clean install of an OEM 8.1 64 bit disc on a spanking new SSD, my computer goes black screen if I do ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING in the desktop.

Open the control panel...black screen
Open the browser...black screen
Load a disc for GPU drivers...black screen

Then to get it back to the desktop, I have to put the 8.1 disc back in and it eventually comes up with the repair utility after like 3-4 failed boots with the round windows 8.1 load icon trying to form a circle.

I then choose the "refresh" function and it eventually gets me back to the app page where I enter into the desktop to meet uber fail again via black screen.

Updated BIOS from 1405 to 1707 with EZ Flash...same issue
RAM recognized as 1333MHz on "auto default" settings...same issue
RAM manually input as 2400MHz with 10-12-12-31 timings and 1.65v...same issue
Changed monitors...same issue
Switched from DVI to HDMI...same issue

So I don't know what the issue is:

1. Corrupt O/S? Is this even possible? Should I do a clean format? If so, doesn't that degrade my SSD?
2. Bad SSD? Dropping the OS when it has to do a task?
3. Display driver? I CANNOT load latest driver...or ANY driver...because comp will black screen when it has to perform a task. How can I load a display driver onto a comp that won't let me?
4. Bad CPU? Would it even boot?
5. Bad GPU? Would it even boot?
6. I heard about a mouse/keyboard bug with 8 or 8.1....is this black screen consistent with that?

When I get home tonight I will change DIMMS, reset CPU, reset GPU, check SATA cables, and any other obvious issues.

Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated!!

Tried a safe mode boot, to see what drivers could cause issues?

Stays in SafeMode no problem. Every which way I try to load new Catlyst drivers...I get an error message:

Cat driver from CD...failed
Cat driver suite from website...failed
Cat driver Beta from website...failed

Just tried a system restore instead of "refresh" or "reset".

Cat driver finally installed from CD! Only took 50 reboots, 10 refreshes, 4 resets, 2 system restores, and 6 hours...LOL.

BUT...in the middle of the Windows Update...26 downloads...I got a black screen...AGAIN!!

I'd have to guess bad card as a first stab at it...do you have another graphics card you can swap in to test?

Going to try another system restore to that same point and use the latest cat drivers from USB stick instead. IF they successfully load, I will create a restore point after that BEFORE using Windows Update.

I think there are 2 issues...display driver and Windows Update

Windows Update Problem

1. Initial Boot "Installing Devices" with Windows Update on Auto froze...black screen
2. After this past successful install of display drivers from CD during manual Windows Update (Update set to off in load screen) ...black screen
3. In "PC Settings" where Windows Update is, I get a perpetual loading circle hang.
4. Under "Update History" I see 3 "Update for Windows 8.1" that say "Pending Restart" even though comp HAS been restarted

Just tried 2 things.

Flash ASUS 270x BIOS using ATIWinFlash...didn't recognize .rar BIOS from ASUS website...looking for .rom??

During seemingly successful download of latest Cat drivers from USB, the point where screen changes resolutions after display driver installs...black screen again.

W...T...F on 8.1 BETA BS

I'd have to guess bad card as a first stab at it...do you have another graphics card you can swap in to test?

The card was working AFTER the successful downloading of Cat drivers from CD (September date)...stable no issues. It went black screen again during Windows Update...just to be clear.

So I don't know what the issue is:
Sorry to hear you're having problems! My spontaneous guess?

Bad GPU, PSU or bad RAM, seeing as how you're getting so many errors from different sources. Probably not the CPU, since it manages to boot the system.

You got intel graphics in that CPU of yours? If you do, pull the GPU board, see if anything changes. If not, try running with the default VGA driver, see what happens.

Also, are your DIMMs seated properly? Pull 'em and stick back in, make sure all the lock-thingys on the sides snap into place like they're supposed to. Are you overclocking your RAM (even if RAM is specced at 2400 the CPU isn't certified for that speed - downclock to something safe and manageable, like 1066, 1333 etc). Run memtest86, check for errors. Let it run overnight at least, not all errors crop up immediately. Lots of wonky behavior can come from bad RAM.

PSUs are one of the most common sources of problems in PCs. If nothing else helps, try another PSU and see if it changes. If nothing you've done so far has fixed your issues (including replacing SSD/using HDD as system disk etc) your mobo could be bad. That's so much fun, having to dismantle your entire computer to replace... ;)

Is the Intel GPU disabled in the bios? Is windows set to NOT update video drivers?

Confirmed display driver issue.

Got into Desktop again with System Restore

1. Opened "Windows Update"
2. Chose everything EXCEPT display drivers
3. Windows Update finally loaded updates
4. First successful reboot

Currently updating MOBO drivers

How do you create a System Restore point in 8.1???? I really want to save my work in case my next step...installing newest display driver...goes poorly.

On Asus website for 270x it is calling for a GPU BIOS update. I cannot get it to work with ATIWinFlash...as it is expecting a .rom file but the Asus BIOS update is .rar. Any suggestions there?

Allowing windows update to update video drivers is uniformly a BAD thing. If you search it, you can disable this part of windows update.

I had issues with a Dell XPS box I owned a whole buncha years ago now back in the vista days with Nvidia SLI chipset, where windows update would download bad/the wrong mobo drivers that caused a bluescreen on bootup. Whoo, what fun THAT was!

It wasn't just once it did this either, it happened again quite some time later after I'd performed an OS re-install, and those same bad drivers were still getting downloaded and installed by default... Microsoft, can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em. :p

Confirmed display driver issue.

Got into Desktop again with System Restore

1. Opened "Windows Update"
2. Chose everything EXCEPT display drivers
3. Windows Update finally loaded updates
4. First successful reboot

Currently updating MOBO drivers

How do you create a System Restore point in 8.1???? I really want to save my work in case my next step...installing newest display driver...goes poorly.

On Asus website for 270x it is calling for a GPU BIOS update. I cannot get it to work with ATIWinFlash...as it is expecting a .rom file but the Asus BIOS update is .rar. Any suggestions there?

If you have an external drive and want to create a system image, like in Windows 7, then go to Control Panel - System and Security - File History. On that screen, at the very bottom of the bottom left hand corner, you will see "System Image Backup". Click on that. I pinned "File History" to my Start Menu. That can be done from Control Panel if you enable "All Control Panel Items" by clicking on the chevron next to "Control Panel" in the Address Bar. Then right click on File History and select "Pin to Start".

Yeah....sooooo

Just got off the phone with Asus...no clue what the issue is.

All Windows Update...done
MB bios update...done
GPU bios update....done
Chipset/LAN/etc mobo drivers...done

So it comes down to the graphics driver

ASUS website drivers...fail
AMD website drivers...fail
Installation CD drivers that came with card...SUCCESS

So I created a restore point here and then tried to load latest drivers from AMD site

FAIL

So in sum, I have a card that only works with old drivers. Should I RMA it? Or can I safely assume it is an issue with the new drivers and keep the card?

Did you clean the old drivers completely (DDU) or install on top?

There was nothing to delete...the card wasn't even recognized in Device Manager. I will try and hunt down any and all AMD drivers tomorrow after a clean restore point and try latest drivers again. Kinda disappointed in Catalyst to be honest...

DDU?

There was nothing to delete...the card wasn't even recognized in Device Manager. I will try and hunt down any and all AMD drivers tomorrow after a clean restore point and try latest drivers again. Kinda disappointed in Catalyst to be honest...

DDU?
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Driver Uninstaller (DDU) / Cleaner made for Display Drivers.(NVIDIA/AMD)

Display Driver Uninstaller is a driver removal utility that can help you completely uninstall AMD/NVIDIA graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind (including registry keys, folders and files, driver store).

The AMD/NVIDIA video drivers can normally be uninstalled from the Windows Control panel, this driver uninstaller program was designed to be used in cases where the standard driver uninstall fails, or anyway when you need to thoroughly delete NVIDIA and ATI video card drivers.

The current effect after you use this driver removal tool will be similar as if its the first time you install a new driver just like a fresh, clean install of Windows. As with any tool of this kind, we recommend creating a new system restore point before using it, so that you can revert your system at any time if you run into problems.

This tool act similar to what Driver sweeper do + the extra mentioned above.

If you have problem installing older driver or newer one, give it a try as there are some reports that it fix thoses problems.

RECOMMENDED USAGE :

- I personally recommend that you disconnect the internet while doing this because sometimes after the uninstall, windows update may be re-installing a driver on its own without authorization...

-The tool can be used in Normal mode but for absolute stability when using DDU, Safe-mode is always the best.

- I would like to gather feedback from you guys. Tell me if it was success or not.
make a backup or a system restore (but it should normally be pretty safe).

-For people with driver problem, if this tool gave you any success into fixing some issues your are currently experiencing, please share your result.

Keep note that NVIDIA/AMD did not have anything to do with this, I do not work at or for NVIDIA/AMD and they should not be held responsible for anything that may go wrong with this application.

NOTE: .NET framework 3.5 or higher.

Windows XP up to 8.1 is supported X86/X64 (not sure for WinXP x64)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back