Will Tom's, Anand, and other sites carry the 3DMark story?

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by OICAspork, May 24, 2003.

?

Do you think most major hardware sites will run with the 3DMark story?

1. Yes, I think most of, if not all the major sites will cover this story

100.0%
  2. Tom's will cover it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Anand will cover it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kyle will eat crow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kyle will do his best to pretend this was never revealed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NVidia will manage to sweep this under the rug in regards to major sites and publications

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MrGaribaldi

Regular

A Norwegian hardware site (Hardware.no) has posted this...

Here's a translation for those of you who can't read Norwegian (the majority I'd guess):

A quite balanced story imo, though still not taking in the possibility that Nvidia could be cheating in other programs/the importance placed upon 3dmark...

---
    The forum is of mixed feelings, with some people "valiantly" defending Nvidia, some attacking 3dmark/synthetic benchmarks, and some (if not most) condemning Nvidia for cheating...
    ---

There was one thing pointed out in their forum, which strikes me as reasonable, though not likely to happen....

He said things was looking bleak for nvidia, but would wait with final judgement until other sources (not ET or B3D) could confirm FM's findings....

So if FM were to release a "special" version of 3dmark03 (with free flying camera) to more hardware sites, more people will take this seriously...

I'm not saying they should release this to everyone, but maybe give it to those sites who request it... Of course, they'd have to let the sites know that they could send such a request...

And to stop it from being released into the wild, they could maybe do something like this:
    * Limited functions, (More or less the standard free version of 3dmark, but with the exception of not being able to publish results to the orb, and having the freeflying camera)
    * The hardware sites would have to sign an agreement that they'd only use the special version for driver testing, and not release it into the wild.
    * Hardcode the name of the hardware site into the program so any version suddenly showing up in the wild shouldn't be too hard to trace back to the original site..

Would something like this be feasible?

2. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

no_way, I think B3D have said (tip o' the hat to the Queen's English ;) ) 43.51 shows (many of) the same opimizations. It should be obvious which drivers are optimized just by their scores compared to the original FX drivers, the 42.63. Note that scores jumped dramatically in the 42.68/9 drivers.

3. Nagorak

Regular

Uhh...this reminds me of some unsupported claims made by a certain world leader in real life... Based on your track record, I think maybe you should be defending Nvidia. :roll:

4. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

Can we keep politics out of this? This issue has enough mindless support as it is. :p

5. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Joe DeFuria wonders about which reality you're speaking of...

6. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

There is more than one reality? :shock:

7. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Remember, that the reality you see is colored by the tinted shades of your perception........ :wink: