Will Sony and/or Microsoft mimick the revolution controller?

Will Microsoft and/or Sony implement a Nintendo revolution kind of a controller?

• Sony will, MS won't

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • MS will, Sony won't

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Yes, they both will

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • They might... but probably won't get that kind of game support

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • No, Nintendo will have that kind of controller exclusively

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • Other (there's always other!)

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Total voters
eek! I just submitted this and there was already a reply? So people can reply already while I'm still making the poll options, eeenteresting!

is it even legal to just copy it like that though? Wouldn't Nintendo have the controller patented?

Mendel said:
is it even legal to just copy it like that though? Wouldn't Nintendo have the controller patented?

They couldn't use the exact same thing, but I am certain their are other approaches to achieving a similar effect.

Sony has pretty good potential with the eyetoy 2, so I dont think they will try to copy Nintendo.
I doubt microsoft will either, just wouldnt seem like them. If that made any sense.

Well sony probably gonna have something like in the Lots of ducks demo, but that ain't exactly mimicking nintendo since sony showed it first. :p

Bad_Boy said:
I doubt microsoft will either, just wouldnt seem like them.
O RLY?
Like they didn't copy the Gamecube controller for example?
Or windows itself, for that matter.

The number of things stolen by microsoft from other creators is only outnumbered by the stars in the heavens.

weaksauce said:
Well sony probably gonna have something like in the Lots of ducks demo, but that ain't exactly mimicking nintendo since sony showed it first.

Yup. Several months before Nintendo revealed their controller.

I remember someone on a forum posting a Microsoft research project that was basically the revolution controller with only one button.

If MS/Sony do copy it it'll only to attract cross platform games.

I'd have to vote "yes" since you didn't specify a timeframe. ;)

The technologies and concepts are not truly unique or unimaginable, and I'd certainly expect to see games trying new things like that and requiring their own specialized controllers to do so. Nintendo's accomplishment (and risk) will be in making it the focal point of their upcoming system, rather than merely a potentially popular add-on like the EyeToy or dance pads.

I expect developers even more to create games for ANY system to tap into that market should it prove successful, and some who've been working on projects that are "close" will probably be trying to beat Nintendo to market just so they don't get accused of directly ripping them off. ;)

Guden Oden said:
O RLY?
Like they didn't copy the Gamecube controller for example?
Or windows itself, for that matter.

The number of things stolen by microsoft from other creators is only outnumbered by the stars in the heavens.
Well controller design is one thing, but copying the revolution controller concept is much more than looks and design, its the gameplay concept that I dont think microsoft would use. I could be wrong though, its just my opinion.

If anyone tries to compete with Nintendo's controller it'll be Sony.

I don't think they'd blatantly make a tv remote style controller, but I could see them adding some type of gyro thingy to the PS3 controller to give their controller something similar without completely changing how their controller handles.

but I could see them adding some type of gyro thingy to the PS3 controller to give their controller something similar without completely changing how their controller handles.

Who else makes gyroscopes suitable to be used in controllers other then Gyration? (serious question, I have no idea myself).

I doubt MS or Sony will release something very similiar to the Rev controller, but I see a fair number of third party companys doing so (like the one posted above). I don't see them haveing the same production values as the Official rev controller though. Haveing said that I forsee both companys includeing some sort of tilt sensor in their controllers at some point in the future, after all I'm sure both MS and Sony have spoken about such a thing before the Rev controller was revealed.

As for the eye toy, I think it has as much in common with the rev controller as it does a dance mat. Infact it probably has more chance of mimmicking a dance mat.

PS3 will really need something that can substitute a mouse better than an analog stick, revmote being only one reason.
There are many types of games and applications that are very dependent on a mouse, for comfortable unincumbered use.

Yeah... I saw "something" under development a few weeks ago. The mouse as we know it today will acquire new capability this year or early next (in store). I think it's applicable to gaming too :D I'm actually quite excited by it. Not sure how much they are going to sell it for though (Sorry, it's not by Sony, MS or Nintendo)

Back