Will Live Arcade Fizzle out or will it find Mainstream succes?

The arcade feature will be stronger and stronger.. I don´t see it fizzle out.
We haven´t seen anything yet.. there are several annoucments yet to be made. There was a list of at least 30 teams working on XboxArcade content, the likes of Konami, Sega and SNK are doing stuff for it that we haven´t seen yet..

so we are pretty much seeing the tip of the iceberg here..

kyleb said:
I'm having trouble accepting Live Arcade right now, I'd like to own Geometry Wars but I don't feel like giving MS $6.25 for a game that sells for $5.
You'll pay $400 for the box but it's the extra $1.25 bothers you?

One things for sure, when the game libraries start expanding they're going to have to greatly improve the structure, layout and search options for Arcade. As it stands right now, I can't even quickly check if there's been any new games, have to manually go through each category, well when you start getting 40+ games in a category, that's just not gonna work.

They also need a good review/feedback system, so that the really standout games can get highlighted.

guden, I think you'll probably see that type of advertising when the 360 reaches that $150-200 sweet spot, no point in trying to sell it at much more than that, most people already have PC's that can do the same, so the price has to be cheap.

Yeah, I'm not too happy about Microsoft keeping my change either. Let me make interest on that $1.25, not them :p

scooby_dooby said:
One things for sure, when the game libraries start expanding they're going to have to greatly improve the structure, layout and search options for Arcade. As it stands right now, I can't even quickly check if there's been any new games, have to manually go through each category, well when you start getting 40+ games in a category, that's just not gonna work.

They also need a good review/feedback system, so that the really standout games can get highlighted.

guden, I think you'll probably see that type of advertising when the 360 reaches that $150-200 sweet spot, no point in trying to sell it at much more than that, most people already have PC's that can do the same, so the price has to be cheap.

Just the simple act of being able to do anything else while downloading in the background would be a MAJOR design improvement.. its just downloading for goodness sake...

Sethamin said:
You'll pay $400 for the box but it's the extra $1.25 bothers you?
It is the proprietary currency system that has been convoluted to line MS's pockets that bothers me. That doesn't seem worth a penny to me, let alone a buck and a quarter, while on the other hand I enjoy spending my money on quality gaming products.

kyleb said:
It is the proprietary currency system that has been convoluted to line MS's pockets that bothers me. That doesn't seem worth a penny to me, let alone a buck and a quarter, while on the other hand I enjoy spending my money on quality gaming products.

I agree! I wish there's a way to transfer MS credit between accounts. Then we can really start seeing a community in action.

TrungGap said:
I agree! I wish there's a way to transfer MS credit between accounts. Then we can really start seeing a community in action.
Bingo, and I'm sure you aren't the first to make that observation. In fact, that's sort of what I expected the first time I booted up Live and took a peek around. I hadn't read anything at all about the credits or how things worked... just saw that there were some MS credit thingys and that most stuff cost some of them. I assumed that there would be some system that people could create content for others to purchase... a credit bartering type of system.

Doesn't look like that is going to happen in the near future, but I hope MS takes another look at its advantages. I could see these being used for so many different things, up to and including their use during actual gameplay (RPG's come to mind first... how cool would it be for somone in a game to want to buy a potion, skill, or whatever that you had earned through online gameplay, for which you they use MS credits to make the purchase, which you can then turn around and spend in the marketplace for skins/themes, arcade games, etc., or use yourself during gameplay).

I mean, if they really want an interactive community, a system of bartering will help get it there quicker than any technology they could throw at the problem. Give people the ability to actually earn something (to be used only in the Live space, of course), and people will figure out novel ways to use that freedom.

I'm quite sure I remember reading a *long* time ago (a good amount of time before the console was released) that a system like that (user created content for sale) was planned, but required the developer to support it. It may simply be they hadn't finalised the mechanics of it till late in development.
I remember reading examples like buying a paint job for your car in forza 2, or a t-shirt for your character in tony-hawk (each for, say, 10c)...

I listened to his podcast/blogcast the other day and it got me excited about Arcade, although I do own 14 of the games, so I suppose you could say I was even more excited.

Reading the comments from the joystiq article, I was wondering. Looking at the Rev and their presumed download service...I look at that and think, "well thats great, but its all back-catalog" am I wrong in that assertion? Because while I may really like a lot of retro games, what I am looking for is something new as well, this is what Arcade gives me that I don't hear/see from anyone else.

Back