Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked through the IBM press release again, and I'm now almost certain that we're looking at an SoC and the eDRAM won't be L3 cache:

The way they describe the purpose of the eDRAM doesn't scream L3 cache to me. Were it cache, they'd probably have written just that. "Feeding data" sounds like a memory pool to me. And the press release calls it a "silicon package", which could very well mean an APU, in which case that memory pool would almost certainly be shared between CPU and GPU.

The devil lies in the details. BW to edram in 360 wasn't much more than the bw to dram.

It all boils down to how much off die bw nintendo is able to provide. If it's not much more, then there's not much point in using edram in the first place.

I think a 2,5x bump on frequency is the absolute maximum we could ask for going by the latest rumors.

Maybe, but a lot can happen in a year. I also think the casing will be noticeably bigger than the prototype.

I think they'll put as much punch they can fit in a $299 package without selling at a loss. That's probably why kits are running hot.

Cpu:

4 core 2.9ghz

Gpu:

729mhz

3x multiplier clockspeed of Broadway and Hollywood for 100% BC.

You heard it here first.

Drop the bomb Iwata.

;)

So it would be close to the supposed specs the project Cafe* presented a few months ago?

This appears to 32nm cpu and gpu SoC like?

I bet something similar for with gpu 640/800 SIMD/stream processors.

Sorry just opinion here ....Nintendo seems to be going in circles, they seem kind of lost ... It seems that Nintendo realized that the specs of the console is not impressed developers, there is the fact that the tablet controller does not like to present an enough or satisfatory explanation for its applicability (only one per console!).

leaked-project-cafe-specs.jpg

So it would be close to the supposed specs the project Cafe* presented a few months ago?

This appears to 32nm cpu and gpu SoC like?

I bet something similar for with gpu 640/800 SIMD/stream processors.

Sorry just opinion here ....Nintendo seems to be going in circles, they seem kind of lost ... It seems that Nintendo realized that the specs of the console is not impressed developers, there is the fact that the tablet controller does not like to present an enough or satisfatory explanation for its applicability (only one per console!).

leaked-project-cafe-specs.jpg

Unless this edram is on die and usable for any purpose, it's a big let down.

Unless this edram is on die and usable for any purpose, it's a big let down.

This is as fake as it can be!

From the harddisk to 8cm disk compatibility, nothing seems to fit (maybe the video output formats do)

1400 GFLOPS GPU? Sure!
3,5 GHz quad core Power6 in a package 1/3 bigger than the Wii? Sure!
XDR2 RAM? Sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is as fake as it can be!

From the harddisk to 8cm disk compatibility, nothing seems to fit (maybe the video output formats do)

1400 GFLOPS GPU? Sure!
3,5 GHz quad core Power6 in a package 1/3 bigger than the Wii? Sure!
XDR2 RAM? Sure!

The funniest thing about that was the idea that those specs would be a let down :LOL:

Also just FYI its 40% bigger to be exact.

Thx for nitpicking.

You're welcome, just try to get it right next time ;)

Not the slightest, I was referring to the clock rates. And as we already learned (well, in case we can believe the rumors from B3D users) it probably won't have much in common with Power 7 either.

He wasn't referring to your post, he was talking about the post above yours, as was the first sentence in my post above.

The funniest thing about that was the idea that those specs would be a let down :LOL:

Also just FYI its 40% bigger to be exact.

Could you share information or idea what are the current specs(early sdk stage) or what will become a Wii U?

Dont need not be exact ... just a hint ... something like : Xenon= 1,Wii U cpu = 3 times,C1/R500/Xenos= 1 shader processing gpu,Wii gpu = 1.5 or 2 times shader processing sustained/effective, Xbox RAM/VRAM = 1, Wii U = 3 times VRAM/RAM etc.

He wasn't referring to your post, he was talking about the post above yours, as was the first sentence in my post above.

So you should have posted the first sentence above my quote or quote rpg.314. I am not offending you, just try to get it right next time ;)

And now - hush hush - BTT :smile:

Could you share information or idea what are the current specs(early sdk stage) or what will become a Wii U?

My rough guess:
Xenon 1 - WiiU CPU 1.x
Xenos 1 - WiiU GPU 2
Xb360 RAM 1 - WiiU RAM 3
Xb360 eDRAM 1 - WiiU eDRAM 3.x

evil speculation :
it's a 780G :) (call that a 880G or 980G to make you feel comfortable)
WiiU demos were fake. it's the old AMD IGP, that explains the R7xx architecture, and there's a convenient hypertransport link to the IBM GPU.

really I believe the Wii GPU could be a 780G derivate, with chipset functions (storage, usb, misc).
has 320 or 400SP, 512MB ddr3 64bit as a sideport. that is slow but deal with that.

CPU is a powerpc A2 derivate with big slab of edram, and again 512MB 64bit ddr3.
a HT 3.1 link, 32bit wide (is that too much?) gives 25.6GB/s bi-directional between the CPU (or rather its edram) and the GPU.
the edram serves as framebuffer to the GPU, and a cache from the ddr3 to CPU and GPU.

networking that talks to the controller pads possibly is integrated into the A2 (or PHY on-package), as long with harwdare for encrypting and video compression.

evil speculation :
it's a 780G :) (call that a 880G or 980G to make you feel comfortable)
WiiU demos were fake. it's the old AMD IGP, that explains the R7xx architecture, and there's a convenient hypertransport link to the IBM GPU.

780G was a RV610 (HD2400) + northbridge. 880/980G is the same but with a RV615.
There was never a RV7xx with 40 shaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back