Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to as well, but if he does have a kit then either they aren't getting their firmware updates, he doesn't know what he's talking about, or the issues they have are programmer related. Or some combination of those. But yeah his viewpoint doesn't line up with anything we've heard including the "50% more powerful" statement around E3.

He also said 360 and WiiU were similar in power difference to PSP and 3DS respectively. Then he says WiiU is weaker than 360, quite clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Now he's gone missing for days since a mod asked him to send him some proof of his credentials.

Their handheld philosophy is different from their console philosophy. They have always used older tech in their handhelds, but their consoles have usually been quite powerful for their time, with the Wii being the only outlier.

Logic that Wii is just blip and does not indicate what the company is now very flawed and wishful thinking by enthusiasts

Firstly it was the first console fully under Iwata so any strategies prior to that are hardly relevant. Secondly it was the homeconsole that brought the most profits by far.

Wii U is clearly just another extension of the Wii strategy. Affordable console with healthy profit margin. Even if it is more up to date than Wii graphics will not be the biggest selling point at all..

Logic that Wii is just blip and does not indicate what the company is now very flawed and wishful thinking by enthusiasts

Firstly it was the first console fully under Iwata so any strategies prior to that are hardly relevant. Secondly it was the homeconsole that brought the most profits by far.

Wii U is clearly just another extension of the Wii strategy. Affordable console with healthy profit margin. Even if it is more up to date than Wii graphics will not be the biggest selling point at all..

Would you mind if I borrowed your crystal ball? I could use the numbers for this week's Powerball. $350 million would buy a lot of games.

Until proven otherwise, the Wii is indeed a blip. Assuming it's not at this point before we have real specs is wishful thinking on your part. Look, I'm not saying I expect dual 7990's or some crap like that, but thinking it's less powerful than the 360 is just as stupid.

This isn't a Wii-like situation for them this time. They have made it clear they want third parties on board this gen. If they want that, they have to go with a modern architecture. If they are going with a modern architecture, it stands to reason that it has to be more powerful than the current consoles. As I said earlier, to make a modern GPU with such little power would be as expensive, if not more, than making a moderately powered one. Plus, it would put them in nearly the same situation as the current gen with third parties. You may want them to be that stupid, but they aren't.

I try to as well, but if he does have a kit then either they aren't getting their firmware updates, he doesn't know what he's talking about, or the issues they have are programmer related. Or some combination of those. But yeah his viewpoint doesn't line up with anything we've heard including the "50% more powerful" statement around E3.

As Teasy noted, he hasn't returned since he was asked to prove he really is a developer. Maybe he really is who he says he is, but he's the only one who has said it's less powerful than the current systems. The most negative thing said by a developer was when Brian Martel from Gearbox called it a "stop-gap in between this generation and the next generation", implying that it's more powerful than the current systems. So, like you said, his claims don't add up.

Except that's not the case. Iwata has already laid out their strategy with Wii U. He has said numerous times that they want to get third party support and have a capable online.

He has said they are considering taking a loss with Wii U so I don't know how that signals them wanting a healthy profit margin.

The only thing you are right about is that Wii U is an extension of the Wii and that graphics will not be the biggest selling point.

It's pretty obvious that just trying to repeat the Wii would in no way guarantee them even close to as much success so there's no wishful thinking there, just common sense.

Except that's not the case. Iwata has already laid out their strategy with Wii U. He has said numerous times that they want to get third party support and have a capable online.

Problem with the online is what he wants and what they have said they are going to do to achieve it seem to be at odds.

As Teasy noted, he hasn't returned since he was asked to prove he really is a developer. Maybe he really is who he says he is, but he's the only one who has said it's less powerful than the current systems. The most negative thing said by a developer was when Brian Martel from Gearbox called it a "stop-gap in between this generation and the next generation", implying that it's more powerful than the current systems. So, like you said, his claims don't add up.

Well, in fairness to arkam, he seemed pretty skittish about the whole thing, as I would be.

He probably doesnt want to prove he's a dev. He probably just wants to disappear into the woodwork. Proving he's a dev could only get deeper into NDA troubles.

Again not saying he is, just that that issue is easily understandable, and honestly is the behavior you might expect of a real dev who may have shot his mouth off a little too much initially.

Well, in fairness to arkam, he seemed pretty skittish about the whole thing, as I would be.

He probably doesnt want to prove he's a dev. He probably just wants to disappear into the woodwork. Proving he's a dev could only get deeper into NDA troubles.

Again not saying he is, just that that issue is easily understandable, and honestly is the behavior you might expect of a real dev who may have shot his mouth off a little too much initially.

That's a fair point. But it still does not explain how his claims do not match up with what other devs have said.

If they cripple online again, they better hope the controller does wonders, cause that would likely kill hardcore support.

Crippled is entirely subjective. I just don't think allowing publishers to do what they want (that's what I read into their flexible online experience comments) or counting on them to offer a cohesive online experience is going to work. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but they are essentially starting from scratch and the publishers aren't going to be interested in offering a cohesive experience without significant regulation.

Crippled is entirely subjective. I just don't think allowing publishers to do what they want (that's what I read into their flexible online experience comments) or counting on them to offer a cohesive online experience is going to work. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but they are essentially starting from scratch and the publishers aren't going to be interested in offering a cohesive experience without significant regulation.

From what I gathered that's not completely the case. Here is an old post I made consolidating the news bits they said.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29416808&postcount=2659

Then at the recent investor's meeting Iwata officially confirmed individual user accounts for Wii U that are not tied to the hardware.

Wsippel was just a random poster, and IIRC his info was all shown false later (I dont even remember what he said). Arkam at least SEEMED to be a developer (he posted about Nintendos cert practices and such as that, as you know).
How does that even work?

Rangers didn't say anything contradictory in that quote. It's possible to recall a post being said to be false, but not recall the details of the post.

Rangers didn't say anything contradictory in that quote. It's possible to recall a post being said to be false, but not recall the details of the post.
I guess. Still, if he remembered the details (or looked them up), he'd notice that he most certainly didn't remember correctly about them being proven false. So the whole post was completely baseless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back