Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand it had two SIMDs disabled, so that would eliminate the RV740.

However since you mention the bus impact from the GPU size of a 28nm RV740, what about a 96-bit bus? Hypothetically asking due to your post.

Is there a reason it cant be the RV730? That's always been my first guess.

Because that's not what was in the kit. Though I bet if it were underclocked (as we found out) enough, the performance would be close to the RV730.

EDIT: Using Wikipedia numbers a 4830 is clocked at 575. From there let's use Alstrong's 400Mhz for the underclock.

The RV730XT is 480 GFLOPs with a pixel fillrate of 6GP/s and a texture fillrate of 24GT/s.

The 400Mhz 4830 is 512 GFLOPs with a pixel fillrate of 6.4GP/s and a texture fillrate of 12.8GT/s.

So the biggest difference I see is that the underclocked 4830 has almost half the texture fillrate of the RV730XT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I was told it was essentially a 4830 (an RV770 with two disabled SIMDs). And as you can see being underclocked to a certain point puts it on par with the RV730. So performance-wise you would be pretty much correct in your assessment of what was in the kit. But that's not the GPU that was in the kit.

It just always seemed odd to me why Nintendo would go with a bigger GPU (IE RV740 or 770) and underclock it or anything like that. Why not go with the small GPU in the first place (I guess thermals, but...)?

I mean, going with an 800m+ transistor GPU (on the order of 3X Xenos/RSX) and not having it perform much better than Xenos/RSX just doesnt seem really possible, or moreso desirable. It's like throwing away money. I find it odd if it really ends up being the case.

I suppose a lot of things are odd though, heck if it's so low performance why not do an SOC, base the GPU on something more modern, on and on...perhaps they have other considerations but if certain things pan out Nintendo's rep as the worst engineers ever is cemented in my mind, this will be a new low.

All ASSUMING Wii U ends up only PS360 class and uses an crippled RV740 GPU coupled with low performance RAM, or something weird and seemingly terribly inefficient like that.

Maybe using an crippled RV740 just ends up cheaper than any other low performance option or something, because yields are good and it's old, despite the large amount of silicon. But if you're using something with up to 800 SP's, you ought to dominate PS360. Shoot I'm using an HD4890 (800 SP's) and it's still quite the capable PC card, runs BF3 1080P mostly Ultra at ~30 FPS (campaign anyway, hear MP is more demanding). What an 800 SP part could do in a closed box would be quite amazing.

Basically this sums up my feelings perfectly:

The reports of the WiiU being underpowered doesn't really work considering just how much power a 4830 mobility has over the current gen, even if it were clocked as low. There's little to reason to suggest that it's low power, unless the developer who made the comment was only expecting more (for whatever reason).

The dev even claimed they would have to cut back PS360 games to run on Wii U. So it's definitely not your latter concern (expecting more).

I would think, if we throw out BG's info, it'd be more like an RV730, clocked low. Then you start to get into PS360 performance.

The other option is maybe the GPU isn't bad, but the slow RAM just cripples it?

I think there's plenty of evidence this thing is pretty weak, and not much beside GAF fanboy thread hoping and innuendo, that it's strong.

Weak evidence: No uprising of devs saying it's powerful, really (if you correct me, please provide a link). Killer Freaks at E3, looks terrible, the other Wii U E3 demos, definitely not impressive, on PS360 level, 720P no AA.

Considering what Wii ended up being, I wouldn't be surprised to see the final box have a GPU with 160 SPs. I do expect Nintendo to maintain their usual secretive nature regarding the actual specs.

Yeah my other thought is something custom based off of R700 series, if it's PS360 level only.

All this constrained of course by the 01.net rumors that it's R700 based.

bgassassin said:
Because I was told it was essentially a 4830 (an RV770 with two disabled SIMDs)
Just out of curiosity, were you told simply 4830 or that it was rv770 with two disabled SIMDs? The point I'm trying to make is that there's a major difference between a 4830 and a mobility 4830 as far as manufacturing goes. The latter is based on rv740, which although identical in hardware spec to the rv770 with two disabled SIMDs, is built on 40nm and is a 137mm^2 chip. The desktop part is basically a binned version of the 55nm flagship chip, which is 256mm^2.
It just always seemed odd to me why Nintendo would go with a bigger GPU (IE RV740 or 770) and underclock it or anything like that. Why not go with the small GPU in the first place (I guess thermals, but...)?

A certain die size would be needed for particular memory bus sizes, and we have to make room for the eDRAM I/O, but that's probably not the main concern for the early devkit. Radeon 4670 is probably fine, but that's 55nm. On 40nm, the 5670 was shrunk to ~104mm^2. It's getting tight for a 128-bit bus.

So that does indeed leave TDP cooling issues. Having more of the physical hardware there may just give them some breathing room for playing with the clocks whilst attempting to simulate what they expect for the size of the final customized chip. Who knows? We don't know what they want specifically other than catching up technologically (unified shader part).

Banking on a future die reduction for a new process is extremely risky, especially given that they have no control whatsoever on when and how much the process is going to cost them. Microsoft may have done that with the extremely accelerated schedule for 2005, but Nintendo doesn't strike me as having similar thought processes or even being so desperate.

I mean, going with an 800m+ transistor GPU (on the order of 3X Xenos/RSX) and not having it perform much better than Xenos/RSX just doesnt seem really possible, or moreso desirable. It's like throwing away money. I find it odd if it really ends up being the case.
Well, it really isn't hard to come up with something faster than Xenos, bandwidth notwithstanding (in a PC environment). A Radeon 4650 or 5550 ought to beat it just by virtue of having more shading power, everything else being the same on paper (also clocked slightly higher than Xenos), and of course there's support for more recent developments in the Direct3D specs. But, these two would be in the same league as current gen.

As for rv740, even if it were <500MHz, it's still got a huge advantage in ALUs (>2.5x raw hardware). ROP and TMU-wise, it has double the units, so in the end it's close to twice the paper specs in those two regards. Overall, that's probably the closest you'll get to taking an off-the-shelf PC chip and ending up with "2x" 360.

I suppose a lot of things are odd though, heck if it's so low performance why not do an SOC,
As small as a tricore PPC may be on 45nm, it'd be a not so insignificant piece of real-estate for an SoC for such a small console, if you know what I mean. Moving to 32nm (SOI or bulk) would also sort of limit manufacturing options. TSMC doesn't have 32nm SOI for instance. Global Foundries seems to be having some sort of issue, but I'm not entirely clear on the situation. I'll have to check when I have the time, but my impression wasn't so favourable in light of how AMD is progressing with Fusion.

Maybe using an crippled RV740 just ends up cheaper than any other low performance option or something, because yields are good and it's old, despite the large amount of silicon. But if you're using something with up to 800 SP's, you ought to dominate PS360.
I already discuss it above, but rv740 is a 640 ALU part with 4RBEs (16 ROPs) and can filter 32 texels per clock. And we can see how easily that can beat Xenos on paper, even with lower clocks.

The dev even claimed they would have to cut back PS360 games to run on Wii U. So it's definitely not your latter concern (expecting more).
Well, we do have to consider that perhaps the devkit in question doesn't have eDRAM. The bloke doesn't even mention that part of the spec. If that's the case, then the "slow ass DDR3" is responsible for all the framebuffer stuff too - even if it's DDR3-1800, a 128-bit bus would only allow for 28.8GB/s for the entire system (note that he doesn't imply a NUMA configuration either).

It'd be easy to see why one might scale back PS360 games.

-----------

Anyways, it's more fuel for fires. Just waiting for something actually concrete. :/

I suppose a lot of things are odd though, heck if it's so low performance why not do an SOC, base the GPU on something more modern, on and on...perhaps they have other considerations but if certain things pan out Nintendo's rep as the worst engineers ever is cemented in my mind, this will be a new low.

All ASSUMING Wii U ends up only PS360 class and uses an crippled RV740 GPU coupled with low performance RAM, or something weird and seemingly terribly inefficient like that.

Maybe using an crippled RV740 just ends up cheaper than any other low performance option or something, because yields are good and it's old, despite the large amount of silicon. But if you're using something with up to 800 SP's, you ought to dominate PS360. Shoot I'm using an HD4890 (800 SP's) and it's still quite the capable PC card, runs BF3 1080P mostly Ultra at ~30 FPS (campaign anyway, hear MP is more demanding). What an 800 SP part could do in a closed box would be quite amazing.

Basically this sums up my feelings perfectly:

I would think, if we throw out BG's info, it'd be more like an RV730, clocked low. Then you start to get into PS360 performance.

The other option is maybe the GPU isn't bad, but the slow RAM just cripples it?

I think there's plenty of evidence this thing is pretty weak, and not much beside GAF fanboy thread hoping and innuendo, that it's strong.

Weak evidence: No uprising of devs saying it's powerful, really (if you correct me, please provide a link). Killer Freaks at E3, looks terrible, the other Wii U E3 demos, definitely not impressive, on PS360 level, 720P no AA.

Oh so you have no problem considering throwing out my info despite it actually coming from someone in the know, and at the same time you have no problem latching onto other things especially from what sounds like someone not even verified. Yeah, ok. You're more biased than you think I am. Just look at this post. Nintendo has the worst engineering rep? That's one of the most asinine things I've ever seen typed by a person. I think it's clear who the biased one is just from that comment alone.

Anyway it was most likely clocked that way for stability. Lherre said himself that every time they tried to push the kit it would freeze and that the GPU was the problem. After all that is a 55nm part in a small case.

The Killer Freaks demo was the PS360 build. If you go back and watch the demo the game still has the Xbox 360 context button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, were you told simply 4830 or that it was rv770 with two disabled SIMDs? The point I'm trying to make is that there's a major difference between a 4830 and a mobility 4830 as far as manufacturing goes. The latter is based on rv740, which although identical in hardware spec to the rv770 with two disabled SIMDs, is built on 40nm and is a 137mm^2 chip. The desktop part is basically a binned version of the 55nm flagship chip, which is 256mm^2.

I said it was essentially a 4830 because it had two disabled SIMDs. I never said it was a 4830 though that's pretty much the same thing.

Oh so you have no problem considering throwing out my info despite it actually coming from someone in the know, and at the same time you have no problem latching onto other things especially from what sounds like someone not even verified. Yeah, ok. You're more biased than you think I am. Just look at this post. Nintendo has the worst engineering rep? That's one of the most asinine things I've ever seen typed by a person. I think it's clear who the biased one is just from that comment alone.

Anyway it was most likely clocked that way for stability. Lherre said himself that every time they tried to push the kit it would freeze and that the GPU was the problem. After all that is a 55nm part in a small case.

The Killer Freaks demo was the PS360 build. If you go back and watch the demo the game still has the Xbox 360 context button.

I wasn't discrediting your info because it came from you or anything, just tossing stuff against the wall so to speak. It's just a lot of conjecture at this point so you notice a lot of "IF this is true" and "IF that is true".

IF the Wii U is as low power as arkam said, THEN it's hard to imagine any 640 SP part in there. That's all. So one of you is probably wrong...

Interesting info on Killer Freaks then.

I wasn't discrediting your info because it came from you or anything, just tossing stuff against the wall so to speak. It's just a lot of conjecture at this point so you notice a lot of "IF this is true" and "IF that is true".

IF the Wii U is as low power as arkam said, THEN it's hard to imagine any 640 SP part in there. That's all. So one of you is probably wrong...

Interesting info on Killer Freaks then.

But that's the thing. Earlier in this thread by your own admittance you have a tough time accepting positive news on Wii U. Wsippel makes a "positive" post and it's obvious he knows someone and you say you're skeptical, but then a poster comes out of nowhere with no validation saying it weaker than PS360 and you are ready to give credence to it without question. Just like Alstrong made a point about it, another poster said it could because their game depends heavily on Xenon's VMX128. Think about it. At worst we've heard since around E3 that Wii U is "50% more power" or "2x as powerful". Now one person comes out of nowhere and says it weaker and that's all of a sudden correct or even valid? You like to latch on to lherre's comments when they go against Nintendo...

Hmm, given lherre had talked about earlier revisions of Wii U kits basically being broken and difficult to get anything running on (supposedly one of the reason it was difficult to gauge it's performance), interesting to hear if true.

but arkam's post also contradicts lherre when it comes to the memory in the dev kit. Like I said in that thread. Either he's not being honest or he doesn't have the latest updates.

As for Killer Freaks, here is an example of what I was talking about. I'm sure the button to reload looks familiar.

KF360.jpg

I think they were focused on getting the game running on Wii U hardware and implementing the controls in time for E3 over anything else.

Wsippel makes a "positive" post and it's obvious he knows someone and you say you're skeptical, but then a poster comes out of nowhere with no validation saying it weaker than PS360 and you are ready to give credence to it without question.

Yeah, I'm biased toward expecting Wii U to be a "disappointment". Not trying to hide that.

Although, I expect Wii U to be 30% more powerful than PS360, or even with PS360. So if that turns up, that's not disappointing to me, but it certainly would be to you. I would be disappointed only if it's only even with PS360. If it's 30% better, I would almost be surprised at this point. I've actually become more pessimistic.

Wsippel was just a random poster, and IIRC his info was all shown false later (I dont even remember what he said). Arkam at least SEEMED to be a developer (he posted about Nintendos cert practices and such as that, as you know).

For lherre's RAM info, it was basically 1-1.5GB imo, so Arkam's 1GB fits fine.

I'm not saying arkam's info is gospel nor yours. But yes, I'm biased to those pointing to a low spec Wii U, just as you're biased to the high side. Sorry but the pure fervor of that GAF thread has created a lot of false info amongst itself imo, with people trading a lot of wanton speculation now as fact because enough other people in the thread said it based on shadowy whispers.

As for the killer freaks pic, that doesnt look exactly like an X360 X button. It could be, but it looks a little off, and do we presume Wii U might also have a blue X button?

Not saying it is or isnt X360 version, just thats not ironclad evidence.

:p

Now see, for some reason I trust this. See BG, it's not all my biases, I evaluate things rationally.

LOL. Yeah because 30+% falls in line with that.

But going back to why I harped on your bias. I'm pointing that out because it means you can't form a proper, acceptable view. If you believe I've been focusing on the high end, then you haven't been reading my posts. Since last year I have been saying no more than 1.5GB of memory when others were saying 2GB. When it comes to the GPU we've gotten at least three rumors that pointed to an RV770 in the Wii U dev kit. The one with the GPU having two disabled SIMDs. IGN's where they said they were told it's comparable to a 4850. And the Japanese site where it was said the GPU was beyond 1TFLOP, but not a 4890. The 4870 is the only other R700 that exceeds 1TFLOP at stock. So if you noticed I've focused more on 640 ALUs, and as you can see that's far from high end. At the same time nothing has pointed to it being an RV730.

As for lherre this is what he told us about the memory in the dev kit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32744593#post32744593

I can't speak about all the questions/details here but devkits have double memory amount than future retail hardware (is "usual" with the devkits because they need extra memory for debug purposes), the thing with this is that like memory amount is in an open range now (not closed) they have the "better" choice right now (I mean in the range the higher amount in the devkits). For example, if Wii U memory range is 4-5 gb, the kits have 10 gb instead 8 gb. So as I said before that memory can't be less than 1 gb, the kits have at least 2 gb :p (is higher of course because this is the lower value of the range).
So I guess the third thing is that arkam has a kit and just doesn't know what he's talking about.

And as for KF, I know you aren't trying to make that argument are you? There's only one controller with a blue X. If you're even trying to attach that with the Wii U controller then you really invalidate any points you try to make on Wii U as that's basic info people like us who discuss consoles should know.

Pre-release 360 dev kits used R420/R480 and then later had R580. WiiU surely is not going to have an RV770 inside or anything else from the PC world.

Since it will undoubtedly have eDRAM, equipping the devkits with a 4830 with 256-bit GDDR5 would make sense in order to get closer emulating that eDRAM. I imagine it also has similar-to-final GPU performance. 4770/5770 can't get near that bandwidth. Cypress and Barts are probably way beyond the final hardware spec so don't make sense.

Why on earth are people so hellbent on thinking it has to be RV7xx-generation?
I'm at leas expecting Evergreen/NI DX11-level chip, something along the lines of Turks and Juniper perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back