Wii for $170?

$170? I want one I want one I want one I want one!!!!!!!!!

If it comes in at $170 then I'll be all over (Though I already was). Hmm, a cheap used projector and Wii = pwnage?

Meybe we will know the reason why he think so later in the interview.

The console at 170$ and (AAA) games at 35$ (like in the console about 2/3 of the price sugested initialy), would make me really happy (personally I cant see how will they sell so many games at full price and I also think this is not a price to a real mainstream/mass market product).

Personally I think there is some very good reasons to put it at a low price, if they can meet demand (seems like there will be ~5,5M consoles till the end of the year).

1- They probably want a fast growing market base so they can prove to the devs that it is a worthy investiment and keep getting more suport so it dont die like GC.

2- There is a lot of games for the console (IIRC there is ~27 for launch day, even competing with Zelda/Mario/...), there must be enought consoles out there so they can sell (#of user, money for games per user, time per user, diferent tastes... all of them get better the more consoles there is out there).

3- Hit the mainstream/mass market and do what they proposed to do (which would bring them proffit).

4- Get 360/PS3 users more easly.

5- We saw in the past (consoles, by extrapolation) and today in the foruns that many didnt react well to Wii at more than 200$.

Last edited by a moderator:
psp was around 185euro in japan at launch (and still..) released over here for 249euro (21% tax included) you can interpolate from that..

you cant expect Nintendo to price their home console just 25 more then their DS .

249 with one free game included. if not i buy you a beer

aren't they launching with a new zelda and mario. With such a lineup, I don't believe they have to cater to the "will buy at 170 won't at 199 crowd" to sell out.

Enterbrain also says Wii at 170$

http://gamefront.de/

Enterbrain (Famitsu) erstellt Absatzprognose für Wii/PS3

31.08.06 - Hirokazu Hamamura, Präsident des Enterbrain Verlags (u.a. Famitsu), hat auf der CEDEC 2006 in Tokyo eine Absatzprognose für Wii und PlayStation3 in Japan aufgestellt.

Über Wii sagt Hamamura laut der Famitsu, dass er mit einem Preis von höchstens Yen 20.000 (Euro 133 / USD 170) rechnet. In dem Fall schätzt er, dass sich Wii in den nächsten fünf Jahren 10 Mio. Mal verkaufen wird. Damit würde Wii vor dem Gamecube liegen, der sich bis heute nur 4 Mio. Mal in Japan verkauft hat.

Für die PlayStation3 sagt Hamamura einen langsamen Verkaufsstart voraus. Zwar würden sich die ersten 500.000 Konsolen rasch verkaufen, danach würde das Geschäft aber nur noch schleppend weiterlaufen.

In fünf Jahren soll Sony 9 Mio. bis 10 Mio. PS3 in Japan verkauft haben. Das entspricht in etwa der Hälfte dessen, was Sony von der PS2 im selben Zeitraum verkauft hat (s. Bild). Auf lange Sicht könnten es einmal 15 Mio. PS3 in zehn Jahren sein.

Blu-ray würde der PS3 keinen solchen Vorteil bringen, wie es damals bei der PS2 mit DVD der Fall gewesen war. Als wichtigste Spiele der PS3 nennt Hamamura das Rollenspiel Final Fantasy XIII von Square Enix und das Actionspiel Metal Gear Solid 4 von Konami, die frühestens 2007 erscheinen werden.

Für die Xbox 360 sieht er in Japan keine Erfolgs-Chancen. Als einen schwierigen Markt nennt Hamamura neben Japan auch Deutschland, während die Xbox 360 in den USA und Großbritannien sehr gut laufen würde.

Google Translation

Enterbrain (Famitsu) provides sales forecast for Wii/PS3 31.08.06 - Hirokazu Hamamura, president of the Enterbrain of publishing house (among other things Famitsu), set up a sales forecast for Wii and PlayStation3 in Japan on the CEDEC 2006 in Tokyo. About Wii Hamamura says according to the Famitsu that he calculates with a price of at the most Yen 20,000 (euro 133/USD 170). In the case he estimates that Wii will sell itself to million time in the next five years 10. Thus Wii before the Gamecube would lie, which sold itself to today only 4 to million time in Japan. For the PlayStation3 Hamamura forecasts a slow sales start. The first 500,000 consoles would sell themselves rapidly, afterwards the business would keep running however only sluggishly. In five years Sony is to have sold to 9 millions to 10 millions PS3 in Japan. That corresponds to its that Sony of the PS2 in the same period sold in approximately half (S. picture). In the long term there could once 15 millions PS3 in ten years. Blu ray the PS3 would not bring such advantage, as it had been with the PS2 with DVD the case at that time. As most important plays of the PS3 Hamamura calls XIII of Square Enix and the Actionspiel Metal Gear solvent 4 of Konami, which will appear at the earliest 2007 the game of roles Final Fantasy. For the Xbox 360 he does not see chances of success in Japan. As a difficult market Hamamura beside Japan calls also Germany, while the Xbox 360 would run in the USA and Great Britain very well. CLICK PICTURE (sales forecast PS2 - PS3, picture: Famitsu)

Can someone make a real translation? I couldnt understand a bit! Lol.

So Wii at $170 likely?

I got that Wii will be at $170 and this Hirokazu Hamamura fellow seems to think Wii will sell like hotcakes and the PS3 will be slow going, if I'm translating it wrongly.

Can someone make a real translation? I couldnt understand a bit! Lol

Your wish is my command. Complete translation.

Hirokazu Hamamura, president of the Enterbrain publishing company, forcast the sales number för Wii and Playstation 3 during the CEDEC 2006 in Tokyo.

Concerning Wii Hamamura said according to Famitsu that he is anticipating a price of 20.000 Yen (Euro 133 / USDD 170) at most. In that case he is estimating Wii would sell 10 million units over the next 5 years. That would place Wii in front of the Gamecube which sold 4 million units until today in Japan.

For the Playstation 3 Hamamura predicts a slow sales start. Although the initial 500.000 units would be sold out quickly, sales would continue sluggishly afterwards.

In the next 5 years Sony would have sold 9 to 10 million PS3 in Japan. That constitutes half of PS2’s sales in the respective time-frame. In the long run PS3 sales could reach 15 million in 10 years.
Blu-Ray would not give PS3 as big of an advantage as DVD technology did for PS2. Hamamura calls the RPG Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix) and the action game Metal Gear Solid 4 (Konami), both due 2007 the earliest, the most important games for PS3.

For Xbox 360 he sees no chances of success. Apart from Japan Germany would also be a difficult market; in contrast the Xbox 360 enjoys good sales in the USA and the U.K.

EDIT: fixed typo, sorry it was 3 o'clock in the morning :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back