Why does Silent Hill 4 look worse than Silent Hill 3?

PSman

Banned
I just played both SH3 and SH4 yesterday, and I personally find SH3 to be much more impressive looking because of the characters model, texture, and lighting. I'm very disappointed with SH4, the game look too bland, and the in-game animations is just horrible. Does anyone here know why SH4 look worse than SH3?, seeing how talented Konami is, I was expecting SH4 to be even better looking than SH3

PSman said:
I just played both SH3 and SH4 yesterday, and I personally find SH3 to be much more impressive looking because of the characters model, texture, and lighting. I'm very disappointed with SH4, the game look too bland, and the in-game animations is just horrible. Does anyone here know why SH4 look worse than SH3?, seeing how talented Konami is, I was expecting SH4 to be even better looking than SH3
I felt the same thing.

I know for sure that they started work on SH4 before SH3. I believe different teams worked on each game, and also the fact that SH4 was different and bigger probably consumed time and effort that otherwise would have been put in the graphics

originaly SH4 was not supposed to be a silent hill game, it was supposed to be an original game, but they decided to call it silent hill, maybe to sell more of it.

Silent Hill 3

Karamazov said:
originaly SH4 was not supposed to be a silent hill game, it was supposed to be an original game, but they decided to call it silent hill, maybe to sell more of it.

I think it is because silent hill 3 has 100% optimize for 1 console but silent hill 4 is not optimize because it is for 2 consoles. This is my guess only.

ihamoitc2005 said:
I think it is because silent hill 3 has 100% optimize for 1 console but silent hill 4 is not optimize because it is for 2 consoles. This is my guess only.

If true this would be a text book reason to have certain games exclusive to certain consoles. At least one year timed base exclusive.

ihamoitc2005 said:

That could actually be quite true. A game built from the groud up for PS2 will always look better (on PS2) than multiplatform games. We've seen this throughout the 6 years PS2 existed.
In addition, i think SH4 was developed by another studio, different from the SH2 and SH3 one.

SH4 is a blot on SH series, it is the worst game in the series. Maybe if they had made it an FPS game, it would have been more interesting.

Deepak said:
SH4 is a blot on SH series, it is the worst game in the series. Maybe if they had made it an FPS game, it would have been more interesting.
FPS silent hill game???
That would have been a huge risk

london-boy said:
Reminds me of Doom3...

Fear comes to mind first for me as Fear has maybe more common elements with Silent Hill than Doom. I think Silent Hill fps could be great, horror theme works well with fps-games if done right, Condemned and Fear are good examples, Doom3 not so much.

london-boy said:
That could actually be quite true. A game built from the groud up for PS2 will always look better (on PS2) than multiplatform games. We've seen this throughout the 6 years PS2 existed.
In addition, i think SH4 was developed by another studio, different from the SH2 and SH3 one.

Yup, the game was originally codenamed Room 302 but Konami decided to give it to Team Silent Hill. All they did was add the story elements (Walter Sullivan).

The art direction was okay, pretty good, but the gameplay was tedious. Contsantly running away from the invincible ghost, not enough sword of obediences...

Some of the sound assests were screwed up, like everytime you hit those large amazon women type creatures... They actually burp!

Story element I liked, but gameplay was tedious, then there was the backtracking...

drpepper said:
The art direction was okay, pretty good, but the gameplay was tedious. Contsantly running away from the invincible ghost, not enough sword of obediences...

I think they did well for having very few swords of obediences. Makes the game more claustrophobic. Give too many ammo and weapons and its a piece of cake. Because of that the ghosts were the most difficult most threatening enemies I found in a Silent Hill game. Which is a good thing.

Some of the sound assests were screwed up, like everytime you hit those large amazon women type creatures... They actually burp!
:LOL: indeed that was stupid. An the animation as well.

Nesh said:
:LOL: indeed that was stupid. An the animation as well.

When I first played it, I thought the code referenced the wrong sound byte because it was so out of place. I still believe it to this day.

Yeah, it has its flaws, graphics beening less then that of the thrid being almost as disspointing as the burping mosnters. But aside from its flaws, it is one of the most creepy and unique games I have ever played.

Back