Why do people like the movie Crash?

nintenho

Veteran
Woohoo, first thread.

You show all of the worst possible brainfarts of humanity and say that it was soooo controversial!!!!! Am I the only person who hates this movie with a passion?

nintenho said:
Woohoo, first thread.

You show all of the worst possible brainfarts of humanity and say that it was soooo controversial!!!!! Am I the only person who hates this movie with a passion?

Assuming you are talking about the recent film and not the Cronenberg one I couldn't agree with you more.

I suppose the film is supposed to make you think deeply about the nature of racism and human nature. All it made me think was that I wanted to punch Paul Haggis the writer/director in the face repeatedly.

The whole film was so contrived it was ridiculous and I'll admit I laughed out loud when we are led to believe that the locksmith's daughter has been shot, supposedly the tragic denouement. It was so ludicrously engineered yet still so obvious as was what happened to the idealistic young cop. Everything that occurred was telegraphed practically from the start and the film unrolled in front of my eyes like a train wreck.

Truly words cannot describe how much I hated this film and I'm amazed so many people rated it highly. Possibly my least favourite film of all time.

The Cronenberg one, on the other hand was just rubbish. ;)

Mariner said:
Assuming you are talking about the recent film and not the Cronenberg one I couldn't agree with you more.

I suppose the film is supposed to make you think deeply about the nature of racism and human nature. All it made me think was that I wanted to punch Paul Haggis the writer/director in the face repeatedly.

The whole film was so contrived it was ridiculous and I'll admit I laughed out loud when we are led to believe that the locksmith's daughter has been shot, supposedly the tragic denouement. It was so ludicrously engineered yet still so obvious as was what happened to the idealistic young cop. Everything that occurred was telegraphed practically from the start and the film unrolled in front of my eyes like a train wreck.

Truly words cannot describe how much I hated this film and I'm amazed so many people rated it highly. Possibly my least favourite film of all time.

The Cronenberg one, on the other hand was just rubbish. ;)
I agree with you, but if you just want to mess around with the heads of people that like the movie, tell them "Personally, I think it's extremely amoral and selfish to measure tact with relativity" and then strut away knowing they feel like an idiot. The movie's so bad, that the only silver lining is it's fans.

kk.. i have to stick up for a movie again.

i saw the flick some months ago, and i never heard about it and it also didnt come with any recomendations, so i had no expectations to be missed ;-)

... and except that one may guess parts (big parts) of the storyline beforehand, the movie was well directed, acted, and cut together.

about the "racism" that was displayed in the movie, xcept for the police molester scene, everything else was only with the thought of protecting oneself.
-beeing caotious of (black) gangsters
-not wanting the key of ones house in a criminal hands, and when the worker is a hispanic, then the probability simply seemed to high that it would.

and if it is about protecting oneself, we see that in america people know nearly no limits.
Even if innocents get hurt in the process. I mean, it is the politics of your current reelected governement.
(who dissagrees with this observation??)

but there was simply no HATE racism in the movie (if i just forgot, tell me please), as there simpy is very little hate racism nowadays. Faith/Believe/Religion are another subject.

nice movie anyway

edit: "and if it is about protecting oneself" an ones interest

Last edited by a moderator:
booomups said:
kk.. i have to stick up for a movie again.

i saw the flick some months ago, and i never heard about it and it also didnt come with any recomendations, so i had no expectations to be missed ;-)

... and except that one may guess parts (big parts) of the storyline beforehand, the movie was well directed, acted, and cut together.

about the "racism" that was displayed in the movie, xcept for the police molester scene, everything else was only with the thought of protecting oneself.
-beeing caotious of (black) gangsters
-not wanting the key of ones house in a criminal hands, and when the worker is a hispanic, then the probability simply seemed to high that it would.

and if it is about protecting oneself, we see that in america people know nearly no limits.
Even if innocents get hurt in the process. I mean, it is the politics of your current reelected governement.
(who dissagrees with this observation??)

but there was simply no HATE racism in the movie (if i just forgot, tell me please), as there simpy is very little hate racism nowadays. Faith/Believe/Religion are another subject.

nice movie anyway

edit: "and if it is about protecting oneself" an ones interest
The problem is how the movie says that racism takes place. Don't racists know what they're doing is wrong. The movie has to fit all those characters in and never really gets into the psyche of any of them. If you look at a movie like To Kill A Mockingbird or Rasin In The Sun, the movie shows how people become racist over time.

well... maybe i said that wrong....

but i dont see much racism at all in the movie..... just some predjudges.
the same like some people still think that some women cant do some work as good as some other guy. Or they think that with employing a woman has a 60/40 chance of not beeing as good as the average guy who asks for the job.

that doesnt mean he doesnt give the job to woman if he is sure she can do the job.

so..... looking at it i think that the male/femal issue is simply a little bit more advanced/solved than the race issue.

doesnt mean that in the 50s-90s man and woman couldnt live and work and love together.
and thats what the movie seemed to tell.

anyway..... ill check out the recomendations you gave i hope i can enjoy them.

booomups said:
well... maybe i said that wrong....

but i dont see much racism at all in the movie..... just some predjudges.
the same like some people still think that some women cant do some work as good as some other guy. Or they think that with employing a woman has a 60/40 chance of not beeing as good as the average guy who asks for the job.

that doesnt mean he doesnt give the job to woman if he is sure she can do the job.

so..... looking at it i think that the male/femal issue is simply a little bit more advanced/solved than the race issue.

doesnt mean that in the 50s-90s man and woman couldnt live and work and love together.
and thats what the movie seemed to tell.

anyway..... ill check out the recomendations you gave i hope i can enjoy them.
Yeah, but when a writer writes about how people have prejudices (OMG), then it just comes off extremely pretentious by being so one-dimensionally "selfless". I hope this doesn't sound too vague.

nono... i understand now..... you get to think that the writer is a knowitall, who just splashes some characters with predjudices in the story, knowing that people get to feel and think:

"how stupid can this character be to have such predjudices, I would never do that."
and then thinking how good a person one oneself is ;-)

what i think is interesting is simply this difference between saying:

these are bad people, we have to be cautios!
these might be bad people, we should be cautios.

he is a hispanic, he will sell the key to some robbers.
he is a hispanic, i can imagen him selling the key to some robbers and i d just feel more secure if someone else would do the lock.

here we have 2 different degrees of prejudices and to me none of them seem like racism that should be punished.

booomups said:
what i think is interesting is simply this difference between saying:

these are bad people, we have to be cautios!
these might be bad people, we should be cautios.

he is a hispanic, he will sell the key to some robbers.
he is a hispanic, i can imagen him selling the key to some robbers and i d just feel more secure if someone else would do the lock.

here we have 2 different degrees of prejudices and to me none of them seem like racism that should be punished.
Convenience is based on believability, not the other way around.

booomups said:
care to explain? please.
Ok, I wasn't being serious enough when I posted that. I'm saying that there is no point in making a movie where the characters just see everything the way they want to.

I tried to see why people thought this movie was good. Roger Ebert chose it as his favorite movie of 2005 and in his review he says that the dialogue is so well written because the characters sound like a stereotypical black, white, latino, etc. and what I was thinking is that if all of the inhibitions of the characters come from awknowledging what race they are, that would work FOR racism and so I figured that people only like this movie because they considered it a small sacrifice to make.

hmm... so.... accepting that woman generally have less ability to develope strong/big/fast muscles as men and a less developed 3d thinking makes the olympics a sexist event?

ok.. not a perfect example, because they generally do have less of this ability and that wont change so fast.

"awknowledging what race they are, that would work FOR racism"

this is simply a hard way to put it, but also seems true to me.

so.... all those sport event are sexist, and that i have military duty and women here dont, is even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
booomups said:
hmm... so.... accepting that woman generally have less ability to develope strong/big/fast muscles as men and a less developed 3d thinking makes the olympics a sexist event?

ok.. not a perfect example, because they generally do have less of this ability and that wont change so fast.

"awknowledging what race they are, that would work FOR racism"

this is simply a hard way to put it, but also seems true to me.

so.... all those sport event are sexist, and that i have military duty and women here dont, is even worse.
......o rly? (I can't think of anything else to say)

Back