Why do GT games look so freakin good?

Big Difference

How big a difference is 720p to 1080p?

For PC games you can ask can you see the difference between 1366x768 vs 1600x1200. That is much less difference than between 720P and 1080P.

Difference between 720P and 1080P is almost exactly as much difference between 480P and 720P.

480P->720P: 226%
720P->1080P: 225%

For PC games you can ask can you see the difference between 1366x768 vs 1600x1200. That is much less difference than between 720P and 1080P.

Difference between 720P and 1080P is almost exactly as much difference between 480P and 720P.

480P->720P: 226%
720P->1080P: 225%

I'm sorry, I know the pixel resolutions and hence can work out the differences, I wasn't sure how to translate, lets say, 1 inch in the 3D world to the number of pixels on the screen.

I guess what i'm asking is would the stitching on the dashboard disappear due to the resolution being too low?

Distance

I'm sorry, I know the pixel resolutions and hence can work out the differences, I wasn't sure how to translate, lets say, 1 inch in the 3D world to the number of pixels on the screen.

I guess what i'm asking is would the stitching on the dashboard disappear due to the resolution being too low?

This depends on the distance from the screen. Human eye can only make so much detail. Gaming we sit closer so extra resolution makes much bigger difference than watching a movie.

I will like to see your shots. But what is important is that those shots are taken in moving vehicles.

Thats a ridiculous claim, if you have ever played PGR3 you would know motion blur would prevent any shots of environments to look good

(and no it doesn't have that Rally thing feature)

anyways, no time to take shots today. maybe tomorrow.

At the end of the day, not everyone appreciates Gran 'Turismo. I don't believe the game is going for the "Fast and the Furious" crowd who looks fancy motion blur, light streaks, big crashes etc. I think its more for the track day crowds. People who like taking their car out to a race track to see how far they can push the car, how different cars feel on the same track, what driving techniques and car tweaks they can do to make it go faster.

I dont think there is 15million track day people in the world.

GT definately has a lot of mainstream appeal IMO.

motion blur

Thats a ridiculous claim, if you have ever played PGR3 you would know motion blur would prevent any shots of environments to look good

(and no it doesn't have that Rally thing feature)

anyways, no time to take shots today. maybe tomorrow.

Motion blur does not affect whole screen my friend. Look at shots I listed from Gamespot. Many are very clear with no motion blur or little and still environments are not so great.

Yeah you're probably right, I've never taken a car to a track but GT is one of my favorite games. The appeal to me is that I can drive some of the exotic cars that I may have only read about without having to spend a fortune or even knowing how to drive a car properly. My view is that you really don't need extra effects in Gran Turismo. Leave the hollywood explosions for other games.

Motion blur does not affect whole screen my friend. Look at shots I listed from Gamespot. Many are very clear with no motion blur or little and still environments are not so great.

Dude...

You listed a bunch of alpha build screenshots, 2-3 actual gameplay shots and a bunch of replay shots, god knows what build...

There is a humongous amount of motion blur in this game, and its completely impossible to make any good environmental shots (unless what your looking at is right infront of you, its usually to the sides) while in motion.

This depends on the distance from the screen. Human eye can only make so much detail. Gaming we sit closer so extra resolution makes much bigger difference than watching a movie.

My question doesn't seem to be coming out the way i want it so I'm going to try and reword it. I know 3D graphics which is to say i know what a polygon is. So bare with me if my understanding of 3D is crap or my question is trival. Say we have some stitching on a piece of leather in a 3D world. Say the thickness of the thread is 2cm. If we placed a camera right on top of the stitching say 3cm above it, the stitching would take up the majority of the pixels on the screen, as we zoom out the stitching takes up less of the screen until we are at a point where its less than a pixel in width and not even rendering.

If the screen has a resolution of 720p, how far away would we be before the stitching is not renderred?

If the screen has a resolution of 720p, how far away would we be before the stitching is not renderred?

I ask this because i remember one of the polyphony mention that they go into such great detail that they even do the stitching on the dashboard. I wonder if there's any technical merit for using 1080p for such a level of detail.

1080p

M

I ask this because i remember one of the polyphony mention that they go into such great detail that they even do the stitching on the dashboard. I wonder if there's any technical merit for using 1080p for such a level of detail.

Yes. Fine details that you cannot see in 720P you can see easily in 1080P. But you can hide not having so much detail with extra contrast, bloom, and motion blur. These are distracting to the eyes so they do not focus on details.

I don't know why people bring 60fps into it, All of the impressive screens and footage is either from the photomode or replays, which are 30fps. 60fps comes at a cost and it's pretty evident that detail in the lighting/reflections/effects is being downgraded to get 60fps in game.

I don't know why people bring 60fps into it, All of the impressive screens and footage is either from the photomode or replays, which are 30fps. 60fps comes at a cost and it's pretty evident that detail in the lighting/reflections/effects is being downgraded to get 60fps in game.
How many 60 fps footage or ingame shots have you seen to draw such a conclusion?
The only gameplay footage I have seen is from GC and it looks great, unfortunately it's also offscreen.

Yeah. It has more to do with a combination of factors. An important part of it obviously is that there are definitely a lot of car enthusiasts out there - car fans appreciate if the details on the car they know and love match the game in every way. But apart from that of course the game has very rewarding driving mechanics as well as very appealing visuals.

Please keep the conversation civil and on topic: That is related to GT, not other games.
Not everyone may like the graphical trade-offs GT makes, and thats fine. But just be constructive in your comments.
Thank you :smile2: :mrgreen:

(This is a preemptive warning, powered by PermaBan(R) PrecogInflictor(TM) 2.0, the leading ban predictive software)

While I disagree, I think most sensible people with your position would say "near photo-realistic". That said, I completely disagree. I think the GT5 environments I have seen don't look anywhere near photorealistic and also lack a lot of detail. Better than another sim on the market, but still lacking in art (partly a track problem) and lacking in asset quality.

The environment in GT5 is very photo-realistic, and the game is still at a very early stage

The GT5 Audi demonstration at Le Mans showed an awesome Le Mans track. It looked great, with beautiful trees.

Odd, the particular image you posted doesn't give me the typical CG-ish vibe often seen in video games and is very naturally integrated with cars. What's wrong with that image except for the mirror the dev confirmed it's WIP?

Obviously the mirrors are like they are for some reason, stable framerate. Otherwise im very sure that they would have been better.
The mirrors are WIP but that doesnt take the rights from me to mention them as they are the worst real-time refelctions on a mirror I have ever seen in a game.
I have noticed that the game has 2D trees ( they look 2D so I guess they are) and sprite vegetation.
Most screenshots are from August 16 ,2007. Some are from 27 July, 2007.
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/949/949777/img_4739001.html
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/949/949777/img_4738999.html
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/949/949777/img_4801744.html
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/949/949777/img_4801784.html
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/949/949777/img_4801840.html
gran-turismo-5.jpg

I am shure they will sort it out for the final, or atleast make it look better. But the difference from replay to ingame is quite big as can be seen in those screenshots. But you know there is an excuse to everything! ;)

I did say the cars and their internal look ace right?

Back