Why did CRYTEK use nvidia CG compiler for an ATi demo?

DOGMA1138

Regular
it`s like so damn rude you open the dir of an ATi demo and you see Nvidia corp on the files, WTF?! couldnt they converted the shaders to HLSL or something?
CSC.jpg

They don't use the cg compiler. Just because it's there doesn't mean it's used

so for what reason they just added all the files wich are needed for compiling CG lang shaders in DX and OGL...

it's part of the engine i guess. I'm not sure how much they still use cg these days, pretty sure they use/used it to develop the opengl shaders of the engine and may also used it for some nvidia shader path in d3d

all crytek shaders are wirten in CG so they have to use it, but they convert it on the spot to some thing that will compile well on ATi hardware...
but i don`t understand why couldn`t they "go the extra mile" and convert the shaders up front.

Err, what's the problem here? What difference does it make that the developers (possibly) used a NVIDIA set of tools to write the shaders with?

Assuming the demo works the same as Far Cry the game, they compile the shaders for D3D with the fxc.exe (from DX SDK) there and for OpenGL with cgc.exe. Why they chose to include those is beyond me though.

I think HLSL compiler was used, I got warnning in the log file saying some shaders about the ocean can not be properly compiled by fxc.exe, and because of this, the water looks like crap on my 6800. :?

DOGMA1138 said:
actualy i heard that the drivers forced PP on some shaders in the demo, could it be?

No, that can't be. Compilation errors have nothing to do with the precision of shaders.

but is it just compiling error or image corruption due to pp on complex shaders?
i got some comp errors in my log file to, but no visable artifacts of any sort...

Back