Who here will be using their PS3 as a Super Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
randycat99 said:
I agree- all BenQ topics should be locked at post #1. :p They create unnecessary inflammation.

I haven't done anything which would warrant that. It is you who came in here accusing me of creating flamebait due to the fact that you believe that I am just making all this "PS3 is a supercomputer" marketing. o_O

Once again. Go type "PS3 Supercomputer" into google and see what happens.

If you don't have anything to say regarding the topic of this thread then you needent feel the need to post in it.

I'm curious as to the sorts of applications ( as a supercomputer ) that people may find uses for at home.

BenQ said:
Why don't you go and type "PS3 Supercomputer" into Google, and see what happens ;)

EXACTLY!!! You need to take a step out of the media hype circus, and take a few deep breathes, as well. You are losing your objectivity. Honestly, this is constructive advice to you. We do not subject ourselves to such gratuitous bombardment, nor should you imply that we are so easily compromised by such bombardment. :D

randycat99 said:
BenQ said:
Why don't you go and type "PS3 Supercomputer" into Google, and see what happens ;)

EXACTLY!!! You need to take a step out of the media hype circus, and take a few deep breathes, as well. You are losing your objectivity. Honestly, this is constructive advice to you. We do not subject ourselves to such gratuitous bombardment, nor should you imply that we are so easily compromised by such bombardment. :D

So, your saying that the PS3 isn't a super computer, isn't marketed as a super computer and any such reference to the PS3 being a super computer is merely the result of media hype? ( Or created solely by me, as you have already infered )

Is that right?

_leech_ said:
BenQ said:
I'm curious as to the sorts of applications ( as a supercomputer ) that people may find uses for at home.

The same "applications" Sony's been showing since E3: games.
they've yet to show an actual game just tech demos and videos :) (ducks and runs away)

BenQ said:
So, your saying that the PS3 isn't a super computer, isn't marketed as a super computer and any such reference to the PS3 being a super computer is merely the result of media hype? ( Or created solely by me, as you have already infered )

Is that right?

I'm saying no one cares of the utterances of "PS3" and "supercomputer" in the same breath, to the extent you are suggesting. All that is left is the "media hype" to stir people like you up- be it positive or negative emotional response. You want me to type in a cute little phrase into Google? Google simply delivers what you want it to deliver (type in "faked moon landing", too...does any of this prove anything?). Same thing as if someone types in "BenQ" into the B3D search field to see the sequence of topics posted over a short period of time. Is it an "agenda" or just "media hype"? Hmmm...paradoxical!

randycat99 said:
BenQ said:

Is that right?

I'm saying no one cares of the utterances of "PS3" and "supercomputer" in the same breath, to the extent you are suggesting. All that is left is the "media hype" to stir people like you up- be it positive or negative emotional response. You want me to type in a cute little phrase into Google? Google simply delivers what you want it to deliver. Same thing as if someone types in "BenQ" into the B3D search field to see the sequence of topics posted over a short period of time. Is it an "agenda" or just "media hype"? Hmmm...paradoxical!

Well then it's a good thing I met you. I'll be sure to come and ask you next time I need to know what "everyone" thinks. It's quite a gift you have :p

Although it would seem that your gift is a little rusty these days as there are already people in this thread who have decided that they will be using their PS3 as a "Supercomputer."

If you don't want to use your PS3 as a supercomputer I guess it's just your loss. :D

leech why would u send me to articles called

PS Meeting 2005: PS3 Tech Demos

or where they say

You can take a look at the early demo

And just to make sure there's no question on the matter, the trailer begins with the following: "The following is comprised entirely of in-game footage." It seems that Factor 5 has been listening.

The new demo looked very much like a game
'

None of these are games because no one was played them . Full auto is a game because it was played at e3 . These are all just tech demos on video tape

I thought Sony has intended for it to be possible to link up PS3s?

Is this what you meant to discuss BenQ?

Personally, I just can't imagine how data could be transferred quickly enough from system to system and some sort of distributed computing...well it sounds slow...but what do I know...(for the curious...not much :D)

scificube said:
I thought Sony has intended for it to be possible to link up PS3s?

Is this what you meant to discuss BenQ?

Personally, I just can't imagine how data could be transferred quickly enough from system to system and some sort of distributed computing...well it sounds slow...but what do I know...(for the curious...not much :D)

Well that's really why I made this thread. The Ps3 may not be marketed as a "Gaming console." But ironically, that's the only thing that I'm SURE I can do with it.

There's ALOT of talk about other uses for the PS3 though. I toohave heard about the Ps3 being able to link up with other PS3 over a broad band network and "share their processing power." Don't quite know how that's supposed to work.

......Anyone know?

I have also heard KK talking about Terabyte network drives, because any size of HDD they put in the PS3 "would never be enough"......which begs the question - what exactly is the Ps3 capable of that I would find myself accessing my own online terabyte drive..... what would I do with it? It seems to me that with the internet the way it is, an online drive would only be useful for small things like storing a photo album ect.... that's a pretty big photo album.

I'm hoping there are people who know of what sorts of uses the Ps3 has outside of console gaming.

jvd said:
they've yet to show an actual game just tech demos and videos :) (ducks and runs away)

Is that a bad thing or a prudent move ? Sony has a later launch date. Showing incomplete games 8-9 months before launch (like MS did) will just feed the competitor and trolls, especially when compared to MS's more ready system today. Most of the people I talked to hated the "Ring of Light" MTV presentation (where people played an early but not-so-nice-looking version of Perfect Dark Zero). To be fair, we should wait for TGS for more comments. There should be more concrete surprises or disappointments then.

scificube said:
Personally, I just can't imagine how data could be transferred quickly enough from system to system and some sort of distributed computing...well it sounds slow...but what do I know...(for the curious...not much )

Right, the data transfer latency is an issue that requires careful application design to side-step (if possible). I used to use this: http://www.csm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html in the 90s. I'm pretty sure you can google many papers on distributed computing. So I will keep quiet now.

Ken Kuturagi lives in an ideal world at times, but it doesn't mean he is wrong. He hypes the machine he fathered for obvious reasons. Anyone who is a main designer around a piece of hardware will say in interviews how great it is. One has to separate the interviews from media hype in that a lot of times things are misconstrued.

PS3 will have loads of performance, that I am not doubting. And once the libraries and tools are there for developers and programmers to get the most out of it then I am sure it will shine. With that said, it will take some time.

BTW, BenQ, trolling your own thread doesn't mean you can get away with it. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back