Who here will be using their PS3 as a Super Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenQ

Newcomer
Sony has been marketing their PS3 as a "Super Computer" for a long time now. It's supposed to be able to run an OS ( dual OS's ), browse the internet, basically do everything a normal PC can right?

But how well would this really work in practice? Anyone here planning on selling their PC and using their new PS3 as a super computer?

How well would the Cell perform under general PC conditions? I imagine that software could run quite well if designed for the Cell's in order archicture, but how well would general applications ( designed for OOO CPU's ) really run?

And what if someone figures out a way to run Windows on their PS3? Are we ging to see the PS3 playing PC games too?

PS3 as a "Super Computer" - Viable option and an alternative to our home PC's or marketing hype?

Well, by the time I get a PS3 I'll be living in a new place. By it's design my PC and TV will more than likely be far away. Seeing as I probably spend more time in general in the living room (where the TV will be) it'd be nice to just turn on the PS3 and go straight to the net to do a google or something, check my email, whatever. It's a nice convenience. Will I be using photoshop on it? No. Considering my monitor is better than my tv and all, but I could see myself using my PS3 for all the generic tasks associated with computers.

wasnt the ps2 touted as a "super computer" as well?
id have to side with marketing hype (although i do believe it can browse the internet and other normal average joe pc tasks, but i dont see why anyone would label it as a "super computer" because of it since cell phones nowadays can do it as well)

Hahaha. Linux can't even get off the ground and into the mainstream, and that uses the same physical interface. I highly doubt PS3 will be replacing PC's any time soon, other than for gaming.

The PS3 is in no way a supercomputer. Sony may be hyping it as such and mainly due to the high FLOPS rating it has. Never the less, that doesn't make it a supercomputer.

When we start seeing computers based off of a CELL processor that has a beefy main CPU and with a couple GB's of RAM then we may start seeing it as a supercomputer.

At the same time it would seem that it could be an alternative option to a regular PC that is also extremely far away from being a supercomputer. A PC going for the same price $300 or $400 might be a better solution for general browsing and internet activities than even PS3 is.

the PS4 which will come out early in the next decade with a couple of REAL teraflops of computing power and a couple of gigabytes of memory will be the first 'super computer' console. at least super computer by today's standards. ;)

> "The PS3 is in no way a supercomputer. Sony may be hyping it as such and mainly due to the high FLOPS rating it has. Never the less, that doesn't make it a supercomputer."

I guess it all depends how you define a supercompter. The PS3 is certainly a HUGE leap in computing power for the average person, that it capabilities will certainly be 'super' impressive. But it's certainly not going to make people run scientific programs on it, as it still is primary a games device, but also more computer like than any console in the past.

I think you call it, based on it's primary function, so "game console", but game console also gives the impression, that all it is, when the PS3 is shaping up to be so much more.

I don't think people are going to run around calling their PS3 a supercomputer, because I think the average person believes a supercomputer is something that sits in a room somewhere in a university or corporation that runs scientific programs.

I can't help but read these thread titles and think: 'old headline wrapped in the form of weighted question = flamebait.' ;)

Still, to answer the question straight up; sure, I'll be giving the Linux on PS3 thing a shot, and trying to wring as much functionality out of it as I can initially, if only for the novelty factor. But no, at present I have no plans of replacing my PC with it. Would be nice and impressive if it were possible though!

xbdestroya said:
I can't help but read these thread titles and think: 'old headline wrapped in the form of weighted question = famebait.' ;)

No kiddin'!...not to mention BenQ seems to have been behind what 5-6 of these sorts of topics for the past week?

randycat99 said:
xbdestroya said:
I can't help but read these thread titles and think: 'old headline wrapped in the form of weighted question = famebait.' ;)

No kiddin'!...not to mention BenQ seems to have been behind what 5-6 of these sorts of topics for the past week?

Your both wrong. There's nothing about my thread that is flamebait in any way.

Sony IS marketing the PS3 as a supercomputer. Infact their marketing it MORE as a supercomputer than they are as a gaming console.

I know that most people still see it as a gaming console, but there may be people who do infact see it as a supercomputer.

I'm even curious as to the PS3's abilities in a gneral PC enviroonment, or if people can think of a more exotic use for it, this would be the thread to talk about it in. Infact I see your comments around here, "XBOXDESTROYER", as far more slanted than any of my own. ;)

As a supercomputer, I don't think I'll have any need to run any Earth simulations anytime soon. But as a "super" computer, heck why the hell not?! Even if PS3 costs 400.00 bucks, that would just buy me the latest graphics card on the market if I were to build a brand new PC .. then toss in CPUs, mobos, and a BR drive and I would qualify it as a super deal on a powerful PC.

xbdestroya said:

Isn't it clear by now that's what BenQ has been up to? Posting obvious anti-Sony flamebait shrouded in mock-serious debate to clad himself in plausible deniability against accusations of trolling.

BenQ said:
Sony IS marketing the PS3 as a supercomputer. Infact their marketing it MORE as a supercomputer than they are as a gaming console.

You're totally right, remember that part at E3 when they showed off MySQL benchmarks? Wow, impressive.

Wait a minute... :?

BenQ said:
Sony has been marketing their PS3 as a "Super Computer" for a long time now. It's supposed to be able to run an OS ( dual OS's ), browse the internet, basically do everything a normal PC can right?
You use a supercomputer to browse the internet? :oops: :LOL:

BenQ said:
Don't alter the original message... it's marketed as "a supercomputer for computer entertainment" (from the E3 conference). We know there are supercomputers built for scientific simulation and so on. But for entertainment? I've never seen "a supercomputer for computer entertainment", especially in my home.

So the tally so far seems to indicate that nobody here is hearing any sort of "PS3 is a supercomputer" marketing, except for BenQ! :) I think we've seen this phenomenon before- the one where the one who claims to be the most skeptical of a claim ends up being the most receptive to its presence.

BenQ said:
Infact I see your comments around here, "XBOXDESTROYER", as far more slanted than any of my own. ;)

Really? Because I don't see that. I'd love for you to pull up some 'slanted' opinions of mine - you can go ahead and provide a link to any post you like.

Don't hide behind my name - it's not what I would choose if I could do it again, but I use the same name across all forums in order to maintain a consistent persona; I'm not one for multiple aliases. I think if you read my posts you'll find it has nothing to do with fanboyism, and I don't believe I've ever randomly knocked MS or it's XBox either.

The name was chosen in a fit of pique towards some ignorance on the part of some Xbox fanboys one day when I joined my first Internet forum in order to debate a certain topic, and I've regretted the name choice ever since. Still as I mentioned, I keep the same identity throughout the Internet. So lesson learned: 'Don't pick a bad forum handle' goes right up there with 'don't get a girl pregnant,' 'don't steal,' and 'don't do drugs.'

That being said - I think you'll be hard pressed to find any 'fanboyish' posts on my part BenQ.

Personaly I just see a bunch of pots calling a kettle black and hopefully a mod locks this thread .

randycat99 said:
So the tally so far seems to indicate that nobody here is hearing any sort of "PS3 is a supercomputer" marketing, except for BenQ! :) I think we've seen this phenomenon before- the one where the one who claims to be the most skeptical of a claim ends up being the most receptive to its presence.

You don't think that the PS3 is being marketed as a "Supercomputer"? You believe I'm just making it all up?

Do we live on the same planet? :oops:

Why don't you go and type "PS3 Supercomputer" into Google, and see what happens ;)

BenQ said:

I think Sony is hyping it as a super-computer (for PR). But Sony is _marketing_ PS 3 as an entertainment platform. There is a big difference.

Ken's "PS3 = computer" references are mostly just interviews in Japanese trade magazines so far. So I think it's more for the enthusiasts (rather than mainstream).

Until we see "PS3 = teh *super*computer" in Famitsu or similar magazines... plus super-computing home applications on EB, game-crazy, walmart shelves, we can then revisit this topic. At least, that's how I see it 8^)

As for using PS 3 for other purposes, yap ! I can imagine using it for specific applications other than just games... like keeping my family photos, voice/video mail, home theater, VCR or even home automation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back