Which was your first game?

Either Pong or the one with the black line and white line where you try and surround each other back in the early 70s.
could it be Snake? Pong was so appealing I think because it reminds people of a smash of tennis. The Pong style game that I enjoy the most is the Arkanoid type

haven't managed to play Zyll -got to the initial screen but didnt know how to choose Solitaire

You have to use Fn keys that were ordered on the left like the original IBM PC/XT keyards. So "Solitaire" would be F1, "Cooperative" would be F3, "Competitive" would be F5 & "<Saved Game>" would be F10. It was game meant for the IBM PC/XT & not really for the PCjr. The PCjr didn't even have dedicated Fn keys on it's keyboard. LOL

pcxtkeyb.gif

Shamus is more palatable, but darn is it hard. The walls and enemies must have the heat of a thousand suns 'cos they kill you if you just touch them.

Very hard & few lives. You really needed a joystick to play it. Probably easier with a D-pad or thumbstick.

Both games you really need to make your own maps of all the rooms & how they connected. It was hard to remember each one. Who knew one day I would do mapping for a living. ;)

Tommy McClain

Uh..... probably the Tomy Racing Turbo. >_>

Idk. I’m sure I was playing on some computer with two 5.25” floppy drives and a yellow monochrome monitor before I was 6.

I’ll go with LOOM, which my brother bought for our Mac LC. The cassette tape must be somewhere in the house still.

One of the Pong variants that some guys dad brought back from singapore or hong kong or japan (somewhere in asia, back when the cost of flying from nz to australia in economy cost about what it costs today to fly first class nz to london 'no exageration btw' ),
A couple of years ago I was watching a DVD of a NZ tv show from circa 1975, the show included all the original TVs ad, anyways one was advertising flights from auckland to sydney at a super low price of NZ$800 ($8158 in todays money) todat they cost about $150, i.e. just over 1% of what they cost a few decades ago. Even cheaper in europe I suspect, eg this year I flew return barcelona->malta, barcelona->gran canaria for a lot less than 100 euros total, hell train tickets are more expensive

I searched for the PDP-11 and .... its looks, are like those of a science fiction novel or movie.
The PDP-11 was a series of 16-bit computers from Digital Equipment (DEC), the precursors of the VAX-11 32-bit systems. We also had a VAX 11/780 and access to Bigger Iron, but not as privately.
This is how the PDP-11 could look, it was a modular system, so different builds had different external appearance.
microandmem.jpg

As for Moria.., I can guess it is a Lord of the Rings game, but it looks like it is an adventure of sorts.
It was an ASCII graphics dungeon crawler. There were a bunch of variants on early UNIX systems Nethack/Moria/Rogue/Angband. All had you gradually fighting/sneaking your way down a dungeon as a "@", and you lived in mortal fear of "D":s (greater dragons). When I later saw Diablo being introduced I thought and still feel, that it was a graphical skin over these ASCII dungeon crawlers. (For the young whippersnappers out there, at the time computer terminals typically didn't have any addressable bitmapped graphics - they could output fixed position characters on lines, say 80 characters on 24 lines. So inventive programmers used the characters to build a graphical impression. What I played looked exactly like this, note the "@" in the bottom right room. That's the literal "player character" ;-) :

rogue.png

Is this Dark Castle?

It does look ok to me.

return_to_dark_castle-311009-1261334959.jpeg
That's the colour version which looked really nice! I played the B&W precursor on the original Macs. This image looks like it may come from a Mac II. The colour Macs were awesome, they supported 24-bit colour from a 48-bit palette from the very beginning(!!!). (This was at the time of VGA graphics on PC.) Bill Atkinson, who programmed QuickDraw on the Macs, later went full time into digital imaging/photography. Fantastic programmer and person.

Bitmapped graphics vs. Vector terminals is a story for another time. :)

If I remember correctly I think Fifa 98 for the SNES was the first game I paid for myself. I remember going to the local toy store and not really being sure about what I wanted and for whatever reason I picked Fifa even though I'm not into football that much. My younger brother bought Prehistorik Man the same day. Probably a better buy but I remember not getting very far in that one. Kinda hard and no save system as far as I can remember.

First PC game I bought? Not sure, maybe Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

could it be Snake? Pong was so appealing I think because it reminds people of a smash of tennis. The Pong style game that I enjoy the most is the Arkanoid type
Yeah, Snake! Thanks.

First game I owned was a pong rip-off, then a Breakout game, then the motocross one where you jump the bikes. Those were all before the Atari 2600 came out and I got it. :)

Gods I'm old, but watching video games from the inception has truly been a treat in my life. They still delight and fascinate me, and they're still advancing just as much as ever! :D

Uh..... probably the Tomy Racing Turbo. >_>

Idk. I’m sure I was playing on some computer with two 5.25” floppy drives and a yellow monochrome monitor before I was 6.

I’ll go with LOOM, which my brother bought for our Mac LC. The cassette tape must be somewhere in the house still.
Tomy Racing Turbo? That's quite unique, isn't it? I'd swear I've seen one of those somewhere when I was a child but memories are vague. Loom also sounds familiar to me, probably mentioned in a PC magazine, but more as a DOS game.

If I remember correctly I think Fifa 98 for the SNES was the first game I paid for myself. I remember going to the local toy store and not really being sure about what I wanted and for whatever reason I picked Fifa even though I'm not into football that much. My younger brother bought Prehistorik Man the same day. Probably a better buy but I remember not getting very far in that one. Kinda hard and no save system as far as I can remember.

First PC game I bought? Not sure, maybe Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.
FIFA was great on the Megadrive when it came out, a superb game for the time. But then the sequels weren't as good, imho. PES was better every year. In fact FIFA was more the kind of game where you could just fierce shot outside of the area and make incredible goals, but I found it incredibly unrealistic and boring.

PES on the other hand, was a much better soccer game, imo.

Legacy of Kain: Soull Reaver is one of the games I missed and wanted to have at a (much) later date, got it on GoG but the stumps as hands and the odd feet and general art style didn't do much for me so I left the game unfinished. I got Vampire the Masquerade Redemption for the PC -one of my favourite games ever- when it came out, which was a similar date compared to Legacy of Kain, and I played it a lot so I missed Legacy of Kain even if I'd probably have liked it more.

Tomy Racing Turbo? That's quite unique, isn't it? I'd swear I've seen one of those somewhere when I was a child but memories are vague. Loom also sounds familiar to me, probably mentioned in a PC magazine, but more as a DOS game.

I take it back! That was my first video game too

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it may have been the original Worms on PC or some platform DOS game. My family also owned a GameBoy at the time, so it may also have been a game one on of these. Either way, it was enough to spark my interest :).

This was the first one I've owned. I think. Mine had a different name, though. It was called Super Galaxy II. It was the exact same game. I loved it. Fairly sophisticated for its time. Certainly a step up from the popular game and watch titles.

Back