Which Mobo?

But how soon would mainstream be & mainstream would suggest to me not extremely costly. I would say that's at least 2 years away at best on a GPU. Its great to have the slot available to develop the hardware for it but its not going to be mainstream any time soon.

Wouldn't it seem more practical to use multi cored CPU's for physics? Like Quad cores especially which would be mainstream sooner then a GPU solution wouldn't it?

The processing power is already there to handle physics processing, even in last-gen mid-range cards. It's simply a matter of implementation. Games need to start taking advantage of GPU physics through middleware like Havok FX in order for NV & AMD to sell physics-branded cards.

The processing power is already there to handle physics processing, even in last-gen mid-range cards. It's simply a matter of implementation. Games need to start taking advantage of GPU physics through middleware like Havok FX in order for NV & AMD to sell physics-branded cards.

neato so where can i download the SDK or driver for dedicated graphic card physics? You do realize you just talked about vaporware as if it was available? CPU driven physics are a reality, and will continue to be the dominate form for years to come. I havent seen squat out of GPU dedicated physic cards since they threw some demos together a couple years ago. Even if it is realized you're talking about years before we see full game engines built with GPU driven physics in mind. In otherwords, it doesnt matter.

As i said awhile ago, something like physics really could use an industry standard loaded with APIs *hint hint direct X* then we'd see a lot more devs playing with it. What it doesnt need to be is for a niche market.

neato so where can i download the SDK or driver for dedicated graphic card physics? You do realize you just talked about vaporware as if it was available? CPU driven physics are a reality, and will continue to be the dominate form for years to come. I havent seen squat out of GPU dedicated physic cards since they threw some demos together a couple years ago. Even if it is realized you're talking about years before we see full game engines built with GPU driven physics in mind. In otherwords, it doesnt matter.

See post below yours. A special driver isn't necessary either.

As i said awhile ago, something like physics really could use an industry standard loaded with APIs *hint hint direct X* then we'd see a lot more devs playing with it. What it doesnt need to be is for a niche market.

I don't disagree. A standardized API would certainly help adoption rate of GPU physics tremendously. For now we have middleware like Havok FX.

Back