Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus - 200 GB - ATA-100 - 8MB cache - 7200RPM

• other

• Total voters

Thowllly

Regular
I'm going to buy myself a new 200GB hdd, but for some reason can't decide which to choose, so I thought maybe you could help me. Please vote for the one you would recommend, and if you want, tell my why you would choose it. Or if you wouldn't buy any of the listed, tell me which hdd you would choose for yourself.

I would choose the Maxtor for myself only because it's ATA133 however I don't know if the difference is significant in realworld performance.

For a (possibly) different answer, look here:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewforum.php?f=7

Personally, of your list I'd probably go for the Seagate, on the grounds that it's one of the quieter drives around. Noise is more important to me than speed (they're all fast *enough*), so ... well that's my opinion. But then I'm wierd (I underclock my processor!).

I had a couple of WD and Maxtor HD's. They all perform about the same, but Maxtor is damn loud in comparison. For me, WD is #1.

I like the Seagate Barracudas. They are slightly slower than the fastest drives, but they are way, way quieter than anything else. It doesn't make much difference if your PC already sounds like a prop-driven WW2 fighter, but if you value quiet PCs, Seagate are the way to go.

Yeah i understand the noise guys, my Samsung SATA 160GB sometimes scares me........ it goes from brbrrbrrrrr to BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh? Samsung drives are the quietest around, AFAIK. The 120GB one I have in this computer is inaudible. :?

Perhaps you have a faulty drive?

Mariner said:
Eh? Samsung drives are the quietest around, AFAIK. The 120GB one I have in this computer is inaudible. :?

Perhaps you have a faulty drive?

.... Works ok.. not sure...

Well, it is very quiet most of the time, but when i put it to stress it does get a bit loud....

Not a bad choice, I'm sure. It's a little bit slower, but I wonder how much it really matters as it's just 10-15% anyway. I have 2x160G 7200.7s in my main comp. and they're whisper quiet... even after over a year of use.

I've had IBM and WD drives, and always when I got'em I thought they were very quiet, but after 6months-1year after new they started to get really whiny. Therefore I don't trust noise-tests online, they obviously test brand-new units, and you just don't know how noisy they'll get in their lifetime.

I went with the WD just because I have that model in the sATA flavor currently in my rig and I like it.

(Plus it was cheap many moons ago at $137 at a local computer show and I just happened to have the cash burning a hole in my pocket....my wife still doesn't know I have it. ;) )

london-boy said:
Yeah i understand the noise guys, my Samsung SATA 160GB sometimes scares me........ it goes from brbrrbrrrrr to BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:oops: I have a Samsung SATA 'cos it's the quietest you can get. Properly suspended it's absolutely inaudible. Having said that, any drive that's screwed directly to the case will be audible when seeking.

nutball said:
london-boy said:

:oops: I have a Samsung SATA 'cos it's the quietest you can get. Properly suspended it's absolutely inaudible. Having said that, any drive that's screwed directly to the case will be audible when seeking.

How do i "suspend" it? Telekinesis?

(Sorry that was one BAD joke)

london-boy said:

:LOL: If you really wanna know, go to the SPCR forums I linked to. Knicker elastic is one popular option, suspend the 3.5" in a 5.25" drive bay using knicker elastic so the vibrations aren't transmitted into the case. Personally, I ain't letting female underwear anywhere near my box.

nutball said:
london-boy said:

:LOL: If you really wanna know, go to the SPCR forums I linked to. Knicker elastic is one popular option, suspend the 3.5" in a 5.25" drive bay using knicker elastic so the vibrations aren't transmitted into the case. Personally, I ain't letting female underwear anywhere near my box.

See, i've always said it that this market is sexist. I have NO female underwear and i'm not touching any.

Why "knicker" elastic anyway? Is that different from "normal" elastic? Seriously.... Does it have to stand more.... Pressure??? :devilish:

london-boy said:
Why "knicker" elastic anyway? Is that different from "normal" elastic? Seriously.... Does it have to stand more.... Pressure??? :devilish:

Well you wouldn't want to go round cutting up your own underwear now would you? :) Having a quiet box is *not* worth walking around all day with ya pants round ya ankles.

I'd buy nothing other than Hitachi. Their performance = top-notch, the mechanics = superb, general quality = excellent.

I have both a Barracuda 7200.7 and a Deskstar 7k250, the noise level between them is pretty much inaudible, but the Hitachi is one FVCK of a lot faster, and it has the disc head-ramps that lift the R/W heads off the discs at power-off (or when powersaving, if that is enabled). Excellent harddrive, couldn't be happier. :)

nutball said:
london-boy said:

Well you wouldn't want to go round cutting up your own underwear now would you? :) Having a quiet box is *not* worth walking around all day with ya pants round ya ankles.

... Cause that would be.... wrong.............?

Guden Oden said:
...it has the disc head-ramps that lift the R/W heads off the discs at power-off...

How is that different from conventional, automatic head parking? I thought the actuators worked against (park) spring tension in all modern HDDs?

Back