Which engine do you think is the most advanced nowadays? I'd say....

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Cyan, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

....Dunia (from Far Cry 2) for multiple reasons.

The game looks amazing, it has a huge draw distance, insanely large landscapes and it features some cool technology like this:

* Ambient Occlusion
    * Pixel Perfect Destructible Environments
    * Dynamic Fire Propagation
    * Dynamic Weather System
    * Real-Time Day/Night Cycles
    * Dynamic Music System
    * Non-scripted enemy A.I.
    * RealTree (Real-Time Foliage Re-growth.)
    * Dynamic AI Moral
    * Weapon Malfunctions and Damage
    * Parallax Mapping
    * Soft Shadows
    * HDR Lighting System
    * Dynamic Ambient Lighting
    * Radiositic Lighting or Indirect Lighting
    * Natural Weather Vegitation Reactions
    * Compatibility with Philips' amBX's environmental immersion system.

As you can see here the vegetation moves in the foreground and the background with the wind on a spiny savanna.

Simulation of real time vegetation growth:

Pixel perfect destructible environments:

Some cool (and very interesting) texture shader details:

Advanced Indirect Lighting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything gets deteriorated with time:

Africa is beautiful, isn't it?

It doesn't build spaceships, though, but it's impressive nonetheless. I'm very surprised by the fact that this game is running on consoles at a decent framerate, actually.

Cheers

#1 Cyan, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I'd like to know how much of this we see on consoles, but yes, this is very impressive indeed, have to say.

3. Terarrim

Newcomer

How about Killzone 2's engine some pretty advanced stuff going on there (or we talking about licensed engines?).

4. Bohdy

Regular

Is Dunia based on CryEngine 2?

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Nope, its barely based on the first cryengine. They've said it uses about 3% of the code.

6. Brimstone

Brimstone B3D Shockwave Rider
    Veteran

[gt]38387[/gt]

The Dunia engine is definatley one of the best.

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Dunia engine really shines. I would though say CryEngine2 due to what it does and what you can do in the editor (techwise). The tweaked engine used in Stalker: Clear Sky is up there in the toplist to.

#7 Neb, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  8. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

It will be interesting to compare what Dunia does, at what performance cost, compared to CryEngine2's features/performance. While "junk under the hood" is relevant to how advanced an engine is, how well it performs with said features is a good indication of how well designed ("advanced") it is as well.

Of course I think most people are calling the renderer the "engine" when most of what constitutes an engine is all the stuff outside the renderer. Heck, a lot of engines have had graphical abilities that titles didn't employ in games.

As for FC2, the graphics look good and the open concept is nice, as is the fact they are shipping with a user editor. That said the theme/story seem pretty weak and uninteresting from what they have shown which is too sad. Some neat ideas, but gunplay looks boring.

9. Fu3lFr3nzy

Regular

Shouldnt this thread be in the console technology section?

Its definitely an impressive engine, and what makes it more impressive is the fact that its running on the two HD consoles as we speak, something which the CryEngine2 is having "problems" with.

Sure, Crytek have stated that their console optimizations are going nicely (medium/high quality despite the small memory) but we havent seen any actual console footage yet so its hard to draw a conclusion.

I personally prefer tropical islands to african deserts, so my loyalty stays with Crytek :razz:

10. aselto

Regular

11. jandlecack

Banned

12. aselto

Regular

I confused Crytek with Ubi and thought he was talking about FC2, while he was of course talking about CryEngine 2. Sorry about that, I'll be more careful in future!

13. Turok

Regular

What exactly makes an engine the most advanced? The one most efficiently coded or the one with a bazillion lines of code? I guess its still the Dunia engine.

14. Jedi2016

Veteran

In regards to Dunia, I'm apprehensive until I've seen firsthand what it can do. It may be that the engine isn't all it's cracked up to be, and that a lot of the unique features may not be as prevalent or as fleshed-out as the developers would lead you to believe. As an example, I saw a video of FC2 a couple days ago, and the "real dynamic wind affecting the trees" looked like a simple morph or displacement effect rather than the tree simply bending as it should.

15. jandlecack

Banned

One of the most amazing features of Dunia sadly will not be part of games...that is real time vegetation growth.

They demo'd this in FC2 and it is amazing. But a feature like that cannot come to fruition as the effect isn't noticeable enough unless growing from smallest to largest in fastforward. That won't be seen during gameplay so it's a "behind the scenes" thing.

16. tabs

Veteran

They could highlight the passage of time with an ingame cutscene, but yeah, you're unlikely to have vegetation growing around you as you frag.

17. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

True but some previews are stating that there is a noticable and large difference between PC version (supposely has all the features enabled) and console versions. I wonder how many features are there in the 'medium'ish' settings.

18. Fox5

Veteran

Code percentage is generally a poor way of quantifying code. That 3% could be completely trivial, or some of the most complex parts of the engine.

19. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Indeed. As active user of different forums etc for too many years, I've noticed the very same. There's only 1 exception I can come up with - Call of Duty 2.
    With that, most people actually did realize it's still based on Quake3 engine even though the renderer has nothing to do with Q3's renderer.

That, and Duke Nukem Forever, but it doesn't count, I don't think even 3DRealms knows anymore what engine base they have lying under their own code :lol:

20. catisfit

Regular

True.

I really like the resource management in Naughty Dog's engine, the process management in Insomniac's engine, the event system in UE...