Which engine do you think is the most advanced nowadays? I'd say....

The map editor being shown off on a game console (XB360). It looks very impressive.

[gt]38617[/gt]

Hopefully the editor has (and gets through DLC) a robust gamemode modifier/editor. e.g. What if I want to setup a push or conquest map type? Or some crazy 1v7 gametype using elimination and custom weaponsets for each side? Forge does a good job of this (horrible game browser of course... because there is none!) and unless the core gameplay is amazingly great the ability to modify the rule set adds a lot. Mini-mods even.

One thing the editor needs is entities and AI, and being able to mix-and-match things. I created a passable LOST-esque smoke monster in the Far Cry PC editor by attaching a particle emitter to a AI entity. All in-engine, didn't have to hack it or anything. Haven't tried it in Crysis yet.

The map editor as a whole seems incredible, though. When I played FCI:predator on X360, I fell in love with it's map editor, which was nothing more than a slightly tweaked version of the FCI editor from the original Xbox game. But I still spent hours and hours and hours fiddling around in there (a lot longer than I spent playing the actual game), and I kept wondering what it would be like to use that editor with all the power of the next-gen systems. Looks like Ubisoft has answered my question, and it looks like everything I wanted it to be.

This actually has me a bit torn, though. The FCI:predator map editor worked amazingly well on the console, it's controls and usage was very console-centric. Actually made it rather difficult to transition to the PC editor on Far Cry and Crysis, despite those two being laden with every feature known to man.

Before this video, I figured it would be a no-brainer... I'd get FC2 on the PC. My system should chew it up and spit it out, so it will look and run better than the console versions. But, will the editor work the same way? Will it be more intuitive? Less? Still designed with consoles in mind? If it's anything like FCI:predator, I'm going to spend far more time in the editor than I will playing the game itself. So I may actually end up with the X360 version. I think I'm going to end up waiting to see what users say about the different versions of the editor.

I would imagine the PC version is more sophisticated. They've gone full bore supporting the PC by even adding AMBX support, so you can use the wrist rumbler for force feedback while using the mouse and keyboard.

Some jungle combat footage on console.

[gt]39009[/gt]

You can argue about whether the more advanced build is on consoles because they can keep parity (or close to that) on the much lower end hardware, or on the PC for pushing the polys on really powerful, modern configurations.

There's no way the PC version will look as good as the console version with a 7800GTX, take that from me. Just not happening.

I think what you're actually saying is : "There's no way the PC version on a PC with a 7800GTX will look as good as the console version."
:?:

Yes. "There's no way the PC version will look as good as the console version, with a 7800GTX" Guess that works :p

Well see when it comes out, I gona test it on my 7900GT powered PC and HD4870 powered PC (will be interesting test :smile: ). But judging by other multiplatform games it might even look better at the same time... time will tell.

There's no way the PC version will look as good as the console version with a 7800GTX, take that from me. Just not happening.

I wouldn't be so confident, if the engine scales well, a 7800GTX rig might kick some console ass. Its not like these multiplatform games usually render things in very unorthotox ways, the RSX, Xenos and PC gpu's all read pretty much the exact same code and render because of that.

Its all down to the engine, there are a lot of horrible engines out there scaling wise, but there is nothing really suggesting that the console version would have to be better, aspecially considering that the 7800GTX has some obvious advantages that can be utilized fairly easily. Same level of detail at higher resolutions + aa is definately a possibility.

How much effort Ubisoft has done in terms of scaling is perhaps the most important fact that could answer your theory. A lot of great PC games look terrible at low settings simply because developers are utilizing other techniques that aren't very practical (performance cost vs graphic fidelity) for older GPU types. Most developers don't really care that much about how a game looks in its "low" settings.

Do we know how much of the footage that is shown is the PC version?

The trailers i have seen seem to mix both console footage and pc footage, as some things look really good and others look crappy. Sure hope the console version will be better than the pathetic ports\spinoffs of Far Cry 1 that came for consoles. Far Cry Instinct Predator (X360) was a disgrace considering how good the much older PC title was, if it wheren't for the new water shader, id think most people would have a hard time seperating the two graphically, and one is 3 years older.

Far Cry Instinct Predator (X360) was a disgrace considering how good the much older PC title was, if it wheren't for the new water shader, id think most people would have a hard time seperating the two graphically, and one is 3 years older.
FCI:predator isn't really a good benchmark. It's little more than an upscaled version of the Xbox game, except for the water shader you mentioned. It's graphics in general don't hold much of a candle to anything else on the system.

Do we know how much of the footage that is shown is the PC version?

The trailers i have seen seem to mix both console footagge and pc footage, as some things look really good and others look crappy. Sure hope the console version will be better than the pathetic ports\spinoffs of Far Cry 1 that came for consoles. Far Cry Instinct Predator (X360) was a disgrace considering how good the much older PC title was, if it wheren't for the new water shader, id think most people would have a hard time seperating the two graphically, and one is 3 years older.
Most of the actual footage from the game has been shown in consoles, just take a look at the action button (Y), for instance.:smile:

How about Killzone 2's engine some pretty advanced stuff going on there (or we talking about licensed engines?).
Not necessarily, any pretty interesting -and modern- engine should be fine.

What exactly makes an engine the most advanced? The one most efficiently coded or the one with a bazillion lines of code? I guess its still the Dunia engine.
The one with more unknown features or uncommon terms (that actually work), since Dunia adds new techniques I've never heard about.

It's technically probably doing more, and doing alternate things besides just the common features, such as HDR and AA.
One thing the editor needs is entities and AI, and being able to mix-and-match things. I created a passable LOST-esque smoke monster in the Far Cry PC editor by attaching a particle emitter to a AI entity. All in-engine, didn't have to hack it or anything. Haven't tried it in Crysis yet.

The map editor as a whole seems incredible, though. When I played FCI:predator on X360, I fell in love with it's map editor, which was nothing more than a slightly tweaked version of the FCI editor from the original Xbox game. But I still spent hours and hours and hours fiddling around in there (a lot longer than I spent playing the actual game), and I kept wondering what it would be like to use that editor with all the power of the next-gen systems. Looks like Ubisoft has answered my question, and it looks like everything I wanted it to be.

This actually has me a bit torn, though. The FCI:predator map editor worked amazingly well on the console, it's controls and usage was very console-centric. Actually made it rather difficult to transition to the PC editor on Far Cry and Crysis, despite those two being laden with every feature known to man.

Before this video, I figured it would be a no-brainer... I'd get FC2 on the PC. My system should chew it up and spit it out, so it will look and run better than the console versions. But, will the editor work the same way? Will it be more intuitive? Less? Still designed with consoles in mind? If it's anything like FCI:predator, I'm going to spend far more time in the editor than I will playing the game itself. So I may actually end up with the X360 version. I think I'm going to end up waiting to see what users say about the different versions of the editor.
Console version looks great, as most of the footage has been shown on the PS3 and 360. Please, take a look at Brimstone's videos (thanks for sharing, mate) and see for yourself. Judging by the video trailers and the engine features, this game looks promising to say the least. Quoting text from a 1up preview::oops:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3169550&p=1

What's the game about? When Far Cry developer Crytek signed a deal with Electronic Arts to make Crysis, Ubisoft handed the Far Cry license to an internal development team at its Montreal studio, led by creative director Clint Hocking. As a result, Far Cry 2 looks to be one of the least "fake" shooters around -- instead of focusing on big scripted moments, the developers put their time into establishing a world where everything from the way trees sway in the wind to the way something blows up is accurately simulated in the game's world.

The game also puts a focus on the relationships your character develops over the course of the single-player campaign, allowing you to choose which characters you want to befriend and join on missions. Unlike other games, however, if one of your allies dies in a mission (which may or may not happen, again tying in to the realistic-simulation idea), he or she is dead, and you won't see him or her in the rest of the game.

What's new for Games Convention? Ubisoft's big push for the show was the reveal of the multiplayer map editor, which will be included with the game and allow players to create maps, share them online, let users vote for them, and so on. While I didn't get a chance to test it out, it looks well rounded -- you can add different types of vegetation and land textures, objects that remain suspended in the air, weather effects that make your trees sway more or less violently, lakes, and such. A meter sits on the screen to show how much content you can include without breaking the framerate, and you can jump into your map and run around at any time to see how it looks.

In a five-minute demonstration, I watched one of Ubisoft's designers piece together a sample map, and I was particularly impressed with how well objects blended together. He took a building, rotated it subtly so it was on an irregular angle, and then placed it so half of it was buried underground. The result looked like something that had been sitting in the environment for years.

What's our take? The map editor looks very cool, but personally, I'm more excited about the single-player campaign. If the relationship features come together properly and the simulated world allows for as many combat possibilities as it seems like it will, this could be the kind of game that influences lots of other shooters in the next couple of years.

Well see when it comes out, I gona test it on my 7900GT powered PC and HD4870 powered PC (will be interesting test :smile: ). But judging by other multiplatform games it might even look better at the same time... time will tell.
Hard to say. I think some PC fans who are somewhat out of the loop when it comes to console games have the tendency to undestimate the relative graphical capability of the consoles. Point being, we already see certain upcoming console exclusive titles which use tecniques that allow them to have the potential to look significantly close (on a purely visual basis) to Far Cry 2....

Resolution and AA settings aside, :smile: having the end result of the console versions of FC2 looking quite similar to the PC version is not a far fetched possibility..., specially considering the level graphical fidelity that we console owners are already used to experiencing these days. All the recent videos evidence -which are available for everyone personal scrutiny- that, and just point to a very faithful and high fidelity port on the console renditions.

Time will tell when the game finally releases, I'm fairly confident that the visual differences across the PC and consoles will be slight at best. We'll all see....

Cheers Nebula!:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thats far from a foregone conclusion. A 7800GTX might be long in the tooth by PC stadards but there are still very few games were it can't pull off Medium-High settings at 720p and 25-30fps.

Those are the settings we can expect from the console versions of FC2 so thats the comparison point for 7800GTX performance.

i hope the console versions get shadow jittering because the shadows are way jagged.

I doubt it, they better put that processing power into a lot of other areas that need it. And now that I think about is tehre even any console game using shadow jittering?

Anyways here hoping the 'very high' and 'ultra high' modes on PC will have it.

I doubt it, they better put that processing power into a lot of other areas that need it. And now that I think about is tehre even any console game using shadow jittering?

Anyways here hoping the 'very high' and 'ultra high' modes on PC will have it.
I don't see any "jagged" shadows, on my end. And I've watched a LOT of footage for this game, on every platform. To my eyes, the technique and fidelity of the shadow filtering looks about the same, across all the various platforms.

Back