Which Console

I got the PS3.
Why?
FPS --> Killzone 2.
RPG --> White Knight Chronicle/FF XIII (at the time, it was still exclusive).
Racing --> GT5 (no questions asked, beats everything else by a mile).

Amazing, you bought a PS3 because of three games, of which none is available, bar for a GT5 demo?

My answer to the OP: get a 360 now, play through the huge backlog of quality games, and get a PS3 in about a year when it will be cheaper and will hopefully have double the number of must-have exclusives it has now.

Lots of stuff for your girlfriend on both platforms, especially the downloadable services; in terms of numbers, Xbox has definitely the edge, in terms of particular titles, well, you have to pick for your/her taste.

My answer to the OP: get a 360 now, play through the huge backlog of quality games, and get a PS3 in about a year when it will be cheaper and will hopefully have double the number of must-have exclusives it has now..

That's the most logical advice and that's why I just got a X360. It has a very nice catalog of AAA titles on the cheap from a year or two ago. Next year is a good time to buy PS3 after Sony lowers the price a little and the limited older AAA titles come down in price. By Xmas time next year GT5, KZ2, and MGS4 as well as the console will be cheaper.

With school and work, it sounds like you're not gonna have much time to game. Likewise with limited time, you and your girlfriend may have other things in mind aside from games when you finally do get together. It's moot talking about which games are best, one mans poop is another mans gold, there's no way to know if your tastes will jive with ours.

A 360 Arcade with tax is ~$216. A PS3 with tax is ~$432. Just go cheap, get the 360 Arcade and use the ~$216 you saved to buy a bunch of older AAA 360 games that are very cheap now. Here's what $216 can get you after a quick check of 360 games on amazon:

Action/adventure:
Mass Effect: $25
GTA4: $38

Fps:
Bioshock: $30
Gears Of War: $39
Halo 3: $38

Racing:
Forza 2: $20
Project Gotham 4: $26

That will last you a very long time especially if you are already juggling work and school.

joker454 is a wise man.

I'd throw in Grid for some arcade racing goodness. A free demo is available as well.

With the introduction of the Live starter pack for $100 that adds everything you would get with the 360 Pro unit and then some to the Arcade for the same eventual cost as if you bought the Pro up front, the Arcade unit is a really good deal at $199. This is all you need to start enjoying games right away. As Joker points out the price difference between this and the cheapest PS3 bundle will buy you a lot of high quality titles to quickly fill out a fairly diverse library. The option to upgrade the system with a hard drive and headset and try out XBOX Live Gold free for 3 months is always there if you want to take advantage of it. You are also free to sign up for Live Gold for anywhere form 1 to 13 months (or more?) at a time if you only want access to online multiplayer for specific games or at specific periods of time when you may have more time to take advantage of it. Also the real cost can be much lower than the $50 per year for Live Gold that has been quoted as cards that can be redeemed for Live access are available from online retailers at a discount. I have purchased 13 months of Live service for $36 from Amazon, for example.

Ultimately, though, to get a crash course on what's what with each system I'd do some research on metacritic. Look at the top-rated games for each system. Read some of the referenced reviews (both positive and negative) of those games to determine if they are interesting to you and the system with the most games that appeal to you in addition to the cost factor should help make the decision for you.

I only have a PS3, so I can't really do a good comparison, but here's what I do for your reference...

MatiasZ said:
Hi everybody,

I've always been a PC gamer, but currently I don't have a powerfull setup at home (only my Macbook Pro) and I do have a 37" HD ready LCD. So, I've been wondering on the possibility of buying a console, to have some gaming available with little hassle.

However, I don't know which should I get: Xbox, PS3 or Wii? I would like to have the possibility to play the following genres:

- racing

The favorite among my circle of friends here is MotorStorm 1 and 2. The other crowd favorite for our children is Mario Kart (on my friend's Wii or my GameCube). We have roughly equal amount of fun with both titles, but naturally it's easier to wow people with MotorStorm.

Some of us play Burnout Paradise and Gran Turismo too.

- action (FPS or the like)

Resistance 1 and 2 are my all-time favorite FPSes. The 8P co-op mode is a unique mix of MMO and traditional FPS. It also has a competitive mode for up to 60P.

Warhawk is a shooter that has a cult following. You can pilot planes, vehicles or fight on-foot. The developer has released quite a few downloadable content for the game to keep it fresh (jet-packs, personnel carrier, ...). Some of us here are fans of the game too.

Metal Gear 4 is one of the most impressive games I have ever seen. The production value is simply amazing (The only game that made me play with my mouth opened :)). Metal Gear Online is a third party shooter. The most interesting twist here is one of the players will get selected (randomly) to play as Snake or his friends. As Snake, you can move under the active camouflage system (somewhat like a Chameleon) and hunt other people.

I used to play UT3 on PS3 too. I didn't like CoD4 quite as much. Socom was fun when I was able to get in but the servers were still being patched as we speak (They release it too early !). Then there is also Bioshock, which you may have played on PC.

Uncharted is a third person cover shooter disguised as a treasure hunting movie ^_^
It has also built a loyal fanbase since its debut on PS3. I highly recommend it (Stunning scenes and solid enemy AI). Incidentally, Uncharted 2 has just been announced.

The next big shooter for PS3 is probably KillZone 2. It's under beta now but is probably one of the most beautiful games in the near term: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42802.html

- general enjoyment (music, karaoke, trivia, etc)

Try SingStar ! My wife loves it too (even though she hates gaming now). SingStar ABBA will be released on 3rd December.

Buzz! is also a very fun and deep trivia game. You can play online vs other families or locally amongst your friends. The questions are really broad and varied.

LittleBigPlanet is another ground breaking title here. It has forced my wife back to gaming (with my son). :)
It's an adorable platforming game but best enjoyed with more than one players. Basically you co-op to complete a level. You can also play levels created by other users, or build your own levels (using PS Eye) and share with other players. This is the top game for my family.

The Playstation Network games is also a source of alternate entertainment for me. Most of the games there are very unique. I don't really know how to describe them but some of them blur the concept of games.

There are also strategy games like Valkyria Chronicles and Eye of Judgment. The former is a turn-based squad combat game (wrapped in a watercolor art style anime). It is my second best game this year (right after MGS4) because the combat is very engaging and rewarding. Eye of Judgment is a strategy card game using the PS Eye (EyeToy 2). It is addictive if you don't mind the hassle of setting up the playmat and cards.

I like the fact that the PS3 has a BD bay, but this is not very important. Can someone point me out on the dis/advantages of each model?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3. If you like more hard core games, perhaps 360 or PS3 would be more suitable.

I also used my PS3 as a media center streaming photos, music, home videos from my PC and Mac to my office or living room. I love the DVD upscaling and Blu-ray capability.

I'm very interested in Singstar as my girlfriend asked specially for it. Is the PSEye the onlye alternative for this game? isn't there a micro alone for it?

You can just use microphones. I am not sure if the wireless one has been released. If you have PS Eye, you can record your singing and post it online. :)

If you have a nephew or niece, you should also get Operation: Creature Feature from the Playstation Network. Basically, he/she helps cute critters to find the exit by using his hands to lead them to safety (A little like Lemmings).

Finally, I use my PS3 occassionally as a web browser or even Linux PC (e.g., when my laptop is busy, being upgraded or backed up). The Game OS web browser is not as good as a full blown PC (limited by memory), but it suffice for most use.

At the end of the day, I think if you're tight for money, you should go for 360. But if you can afford more, give PS3 a try. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised as you find more and more use for the hardware like I do.

What consoles do your friends have?
Not that it should be a major factor for your chioce, but if you use the same console as your friends it you can swap games and discuss the latest exclusives.

Othwerwise, take a look at the library of both upcoming and current games from both consoles and see which games you think that you like best.

As for FPS:s I would like to throw in Call of Duty 4 as well, very solid in both single and multiplayer.

I totally agree with Patsu. If you have a girlfriend, I believe the PS3 seems more girl friendly with games like Singstar, Buzz Quiz TV, Operation: Creature Feature (PS Eye), etc. Singstar has additional songs that you can purchase at will via the free online access (well over 300+ songs depending on region). Then, you also have access to the hardcore games as well.

Plus, you have the convenient web browser, Blu-ray, Chroma upscaling (color upgrade) for DVD movies, and free online. If you have an HDMI input on your 5.1 surrond sound system, you can step up the audio quality from your games (almost all 1st/2nd party and some 3rd party) and Blu-ray movies to the highest audio available. If not, the system will be ready when you are.

I have a PS3 and Xbox 360. I feel the PS3 grows with you a lot more, but they are both fun!

I have no racing wheel or anything of the like. Are these games available under both platforms? If so, is there any image quality difference between the two?

As mentioned before, GT5 Prologue, WipeOut and MotorStorm 2 are PS3 exclusives. GT5 Prologue and MotorStorm 2 are some of the best looking games ever, I think.

For the multiplatform games, Burnout looks a tiny bit better on PS3, but it's practically a wash. The other games tend to look slightly better on 360 or have slightly better framerates, but in the case of the games mentioned the differences are fairly small.

It's true that there are many more racing games (Dirt, Sega Rally, etc.), but this is why I stuck with mentioning this years titles. Forza was pretty good when it was released, and you may still like it - it's a pretty competent game, but it felt flawed to me and it looks dated now. I basically bought the 360 for this game but was disappointed. PGR4 is a very good game, although for me ruined by the Motorbikes and the HDR being dropped (I loved that effect in PGR3, but that game looks crap these days otherwise because it is so heavily upscaled).

I've been a serious Q3 player for a long time, and I enjoy Crysis and the like on the PC, but have no time to play at the office where my powerfull setup is. From your post it seemed the X360 might be a better choice for FPS. Are any of the good games (from what I've heard) like Gears of War or Call of Duty available for the PS3?

It sounds to me you might even enjoy Far Cry 2 more than either of those. Call of Duty 4 (and 5) are available on both platform and runs well on both systems. Gears of War is only available on the 360, but it's not really a first person shooter, but a third person shooter. In this genre, the PS3 has an absolutely beautiful game (as patsu mentioned) called Uncharted, which I think probably has some of the best ever graphics, but which also has a look and feel that is more suitable to most female audiences - it has a very good and well presented story. Gears of War has very good co-op play, but that's only going to benefit you if you think your wife can stand its violent machisma (or if you will play the game without her ;) - but I hated the game myself, whereas I finished Uncharted and look forward to part 2 - but in the English speaking world, I'm very likely to be in the minority). Both the first Gears of War and Uncharted are available as budget titles now, Gears of War 2 has just been released and Uncharted 2 has just been announced.

I only plan on using online if the service is really good, but perhaps more oriented to the extra content rather than multiplayer, as I know that requires time to get into it, and I don't have much.

People will sometimes claim that the 360 has a better online service, but this strongly depends on individual games. Despite being a payed for service, most exclusive 360 games still rely fully on p2p networking, where the big PS3 titles all support server based hosting, often next to client side hosting, and often also have good UPNP support. Examples are Warhawk, supporting lag-free 32 player games with plenty of Sony provided servers available as well as excellent client side hosting. Resistance is another example, where the first game supported lag-free 40 player games from Sony servers, and Resistance 2 even up to 60 players. GT5 Prologue also supports 16 cars server side hosting, but in all fairness doesn't support custom games yet. On the other hand, using Forza 2 and PGR was a big hassle on the 360 for me because they require the correct ports to be open to connect with all players in the online game, which is also limited to only 8 cars. When I bought the 360 I expected a lot more than that from a pay-for service, and I was very disappointed.

This is not to say that this is typical - PSN has a worse reputation for online gaming particularly because early third party games had worse online support in general, and to this day often stuff like managing your friends isn't nearly as fully featured and coherent as it is on the 360. But other than that, there are few problems left, and as said for first party games, online support on the PS3 is generally excellent.

I will not be able to use it a lot (work+university really doesn't leave that much time left), so I want it to be simple to use, and a long-term inversion.

If you mean long-time investment, then I think the PS3 will pay off certainly. You will be able to go online always without worrying about your Live subcription and the longer you use the PS3, the more the annual fee counts (I've been a Live member for 5 years now, and it has cost me 300 euros).

I have a very good 5.1 sound system, I would like to get the most of it with the console through a digital out to my A/V receiver

Both systems have excellent sound, but the PS3 definitely has the edge here, both because BluRay allows games more space for sound (you see this also in language options on disc - some games support many combinations of spoken language and subtitles), and because the sound output system seems to be slightly better and supports more options. You also need a special cable on the 360 to allow for digital out in the first place. And of course, the PS3 is and has always been quieter than the 360, which is important if sound means something to you other than just putting it up really, really loud. Also, several PS3 games have groundbreaking sound quality (MGS4, Uncharted, most Insomniac titles) with up to and including 7.1 support.

Could someone expand a little bit on this? I'm not too familiar with these services.

The NXE is the new version of the 360's user interface. It rearranged the user interface of the system in a bit more flexible manner, and offers more options for customisation, avatars, and the option to install all (except 2-3) of your 360 games onto the harddrive. For most games this helps a bit with load-times and it definitely helps bringing the noise that the 360 makes down a bit.

If the Euro value you meantion below means you live in Europe, you can forget about Netflix, but it is a popular movie content streaming service also available on PC and some other types of boxes.

Which accesories should I consider as "important"? On the same topic, is the HD so important if games are the main concern of the console (not that I'm not interested in the other features)?

I find the harddrive to be essential in both systems. Any downloadable content, software updates and full games, the hdd install options, the media features, many of them rely on the harddrive. If you think about games like Warhawk and Burnout, there are lots of feature updates (it has added new cars, bikes, day-night cycles, soon will add a whole island, etc.) that require an update of the software or the download of additional content. FPS games offer new maps for download. Music games offer songs for download (and they can amount to quite a lot, I know people with 2GB of Rock Band songs, and Singstar songs in SD quality already amount to 70MB on average because they include the full video). I probably own 30 extra downloaded songs for that game, do the math! Also you can buy several games online on both systems, some of which are really good and will fill up space on your system really quickly. On the 360, automatic caching to the harddrive happens even for games that don't require one, so without the HDD load times will suffer. And a lot of games have free downloadable demos, and a single demo can already run over 1GB.

I can imagine there will be some people who can live without a HDD on the 360, but I'm willing to bet that for nearly everyeone, the additional price of the HDD is more than worth it.

What type of information would you need? To me is very important that my girlfriend gets into the console, as it is much easier to justify 400€ well spent than 200€ in an useless box.

My wife likes the excellent DVD and BluRay playback (try watching Wall-E or Ratatouille with her, or Planet Earth), but also really likes to show off motion based games, Buzz and SingStar, and recently, she likes Home a lot too (for its social features). She also hates wires with a vengeance. ;) The browser counts for something too - it's not perfect, but it allows her to read her forums when in the livingroom if she can't do it in the study for some reason (our kid, or whatever). Also, the user interface is still better and more consistent in my experience - this may be personal preference though, but even the NXE I feel clutters in too much commercials, online store features and so on. The basis for the PS3 is Settings - Music - Pictures - Video - Games - Network, and that's something most people can get to grips with fairly easily. We use the picture and video options on hte PS3 to show visitors our pictures and such quite a bit, and the DNLA support to stream those off your PC or Mac is a good and useful addition as well. And she loves the PS Eye, even stupid little 'interactive screensaver' type things like Mesmerize she loves to show off to friends and family, and they are always a lot of fun, and viewing back bits of your performance in SingStar is a big laugh.

I've never had any problems with justifying the price of my PS3 to my wife as the machine gets a *lot* of extremely varied use, and bear in mind I bought the machine at launch for 599€. Depending on where you live in Europe. For me personally, the PS3 has more different games from the PC, which is for me the biggest plus - there are so many things on there totally unlike what you get on the PC.

In your position I would probably get an 80GB PS3 bundled with Singstar and MotorStorm 2 (make sure to test motion controls in this game), a second controller, and get Uncharted platinum, adding Buzz, a PS Eye and buy or rent Planet Earth (the multi disc BBC series, not the 90 minute movie), Ratatouille or Wall-E on BluRay, and make sure store owners don't rip you off on expensive HDMI cables ;) (you can get one for a few bucks online if you can't find it cheap in a store) and then get some of the smaller games off PSN (like Flow and the PS Eye games - including Creature Feature). That should give you an excellent basis from which you can move on, either through downloadable games or online reviews, or further recommendations on this forum. There are really many excellent smaller and bigger titles up for grabs on PSN for pleasantly small prices, some of them have demos, other don't (this is an advantage of the 360, there are always demos). I'm fairly sure you won't regret it and it will last you a long time.

MatiasZ said:
I'm not very party-like, so I won't be enjoying it all that much, but I want something that I can play with my girlfriend too.

MatiasZ said:
I'm very interested in Singstar as my girlfriend asked specially for it.

If your girlfriend has specifically asked for SingStar then... ;)

The 360 also has a karaoke game called Lips. However it has only just come out, and it is missing a lot of features (being unable to playback your audio performances is a big loss). The Lips track list is also very small, in contrast SingStar has a back catalogue of 20+ titles (for PS3 and PS2), each of which has 30+ songs - you can purchase any of these and the songs will work with a bit of disc swapping, or if you're like me and you don't want to swap discs, there's the online SingStore with hundreds of songs for £1 each.

Lips does have the option to import your own music, but with no video, no lyrics on screen and no audio playback, it's little different to just singing along to a CD.

My girlfriend is not a gaming fan at all, but she really likes SingStar, and Buzz (a quiz game). There's a Microsoft equivalent of Buzz too (called Scene It), but as far as I'm aware it doesn't have the option for community-created quizzes or downloadable packs of extra questions - again probably due to Buzz having an extensive back catalogue from PS2 days and Scene It being relatively new.

The big release for us though has been LittleBigPlanet. She can't get enough of playing this game in coop, and we have completed the story and revisited most of the levels to collect all the items we can find, and we are now starting to play some of the thousands of user generated levels. She absolutely loves this and wants to play it all the time. There's no 360 equivalent of this game.

There's Home as well, but I haven't got around to showing her that yet, so I can't speak to whether it will appeal to her or not.

As you said your decision was between the 360 and PS3, I've excluded the Wii from this, and on that basis in my experience of owning all 3 consoles you should be looking at the PS3 despite the extra cost if your girlfriend is part of the decision. The 360 is releasing it's own versions of some of the girlfriend-friendly games which are available on PS3, but they don't seem to match up yet in terms of features or fun factor, quite simply because Sony has been doing these since the PS2 days.

Well, first of all, thank you ALL for the answers, it's been really great to ready all this info, and I'm glad no console-war was started, this shows how amazing this forum has always been.

I still have a doubt wether I'll be able to plug an digital (toslink or coaxial) cable to my AV/receiver (no HDMI input on it), while connecting the HDMI to my TV.

The previous posts seemed to incline me to a X360 as an introductino to consoles, but guided by the last posts, the PS3 seems like it could be a better option for me, so that my gfriend enjoys it too, and since I should get a HDD enabled X360 the € difference should not be so much (I live in Spain). Sadly, I can't get both :)

Regarding the question about my friends, sadly my group of friends is not very console addicted. However, most of them are fans of Winning Eleven on the PS2, but the ones that use it the most live in Argentina, so I don't think I'll be able to play with them (perhaps with the PS3 in the future through PSN?)

PS3:
Build in Web Browser and Wireless can easily be the killer application if it´s a family thing.
With TVERSITY (free) you can stream everything from your PC to the PS3 with the Blu-Ray added it´s the best Home Entertainment machine out there.

Unless your a heavy gamer with specific 360/Wii needs the PS3 should easily be able to full fill your gaming needs.

Plenty of demos and cheap PSN games you can download from the PS store and the little free extras really add fun value to the machine. For example the Folding Screensaver with news and Music playback and the soon to be public beta´d Home.

And this is the PS3 today, the same hardware i bought at the European Launch has gotten so many software revisions that it´s a completely different beast that the one i bought. And there is still alot more to come :)

Well, first of all, thank you ALL for the answers, it's been really great to ready all this info, and I'm glad no console-war was started, this shows how amazing this forum has always been.

I still have a doubt wether I'll be able to plug an digital (toslink or coaxial) cable to my AV/receiver (no HDMI input on it), while connecting the HDMI to my TV.

The previous posts seemed to incline me to a X360 as an introductino to consoles, but guided by the last posts, the PS3 seems like it could be a better option for me, so that my gfriend enjoys it too, and since I should get a HDD enabled X360 the € difference should not be so much (I live in Spain). Sadly, I can't get both :)

Regarding the question about my friends, sadly my group of friends is not very console addicted. However, most of them are fans of Winning Eleven on the PS2, but the ones that use it the most live in Argentina, so I don't think I'll be able to play with them (perhaps with the PS3 in the future through PSN?)

Currenltly i use HDMI for my PJ and Optical Toslink for my Decoder, on the PS3.

Toslink connection is available on the back of the PS3 by default. For the 360, you need to buy a special cable (conversely, the 360 Elite version comes with an included HDMI cable)

In Spain so far the PS3 has sold a lot more. With the recent pricecuts though the 360 has gained some ground.

Yeah, if they ever get a PS3 you should be able to play with them online, though I understand next-gen consoles are currently very expensive to get in South-America so that might take a while. I came across someone from Peru the other day in Home, played chess with him.

EDIT: just remembered, there are some excellent Spanish songs on the Singstar Store. It's one of the few languages other than English and Dutch I've downloaded songs in. (Localisation is definitely a strong point for Sony in general)

Does anybody know if the X360 is noisy for all games or just games that do a lot of streaming from the DVD?

It's always noisy as the disc is pretty much constantly spinning at pretty high speeds. The fan isn't exactly silent, either. If the game streams lot you can hear the laser head moving around a bit more, but it kinda gets drowned in the noise, so no big difference. The NXE installs cut down on the noise significantly, though.

I have a Falcon and I've read that its BenQ drive is much quiter than the previous Samsung and Hitachi drives. I've only played one of the included games, KungFu Panda and it seems the drive isn't very loud, but I'll have to try out some other games that do heavy streaming. Since the OP has decided to get a PS3 there's no need to be concerned about noise, however, I just wanted to clear up some things about X360 supposed noise issue which doesn't seem to be that much of an issue with the newer DVD drives along with the optional HDD installs.

I have a Falcon and I've read that its BenQ drive is much quiter than the previous Samsung and Hitachi drives.

Bit OT but how do I find out which type of console (Falcon etc) and DVD drive manufacturer I have, without opening it up? Mine is an EU 60Gb, but it's still pretty loud and I'd like to know the chipset/DVD model.

Bit OT but how do I find out which type of console (Falcon etc) and DVD drive manufacturer I have, without opening it up? Mine is an EU 60Gb, but it's still pretty loud and I'd like to know the chipset/DVD model.

The Falcons have a 175W power supply. BenQ drives in Falcons have a solid disc tray without small holes. If you have a 200W ps than you have the old X360s which either has a Samsung or Hitachi drive. Does your X360 have HDMI port?

Back