Where all the umbrellas go?

mcsven said:
I still miss Adams... :cry:

Aye. I've got the original radio series in MP3, I listen to it rather frequently. Beats the hell out of the silly TV series or, God forbid, the movie!

london-boy said:
Do you have time for a brief explanation?

All I can really do is suggest you read the book :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...20/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i20_xgl/203-5710545-2525539

I wouldn't want to inadvertantly spoil the story by saying too much.

As XXX says, Robert Rankin can be very good, I think my favorite ones are the Brentford Trilogy, although the 'Armageddon the Musical' is pretty damn funny if a little strange, in fact any books featuring Elvis Presley and a time travelling talking sprout are going to be a little off the wall.

CC

Yeah and Brentford Trilogy are like 7 or so books methinks :LOL:

I just ordered "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse" a few minutes ago, looking forward to it.

nutball said:
Aye. I've got the original radio series in MP3, I listen to it rather frequently. Beats the hell out of the silly TV series or, God forbid, the movie!
I didn't mind it actually. As far as it's actually possible to make a movie out of the books, I thought they did a good job - as well as being very respectful to Adams and his ideas. The only downer was the unnecessary romance thrown in between Trillian and Arthur - but there was always going to be a nod to Hollywood of some variety and that wasn't too objectionable given what happens later in the 'trilogy'.

Simon F said:
They go to lost property departments and then on to auction houses who then sell off dirt cheap. We bought 10 (some golf umbrella size!) for only 5 pounds! Now if only I knew where all of those were...:rolleyes:
Back to the auctions?

Some people really miss their umbrellas:
Lost & found.
I lost my umbrella.

It wasn't just any umbrella. It was my favourite umbrella.

It was long and elegant, black and taunt, expansive when open and lean when closed. It made me walk a little better, stand a little taller. I swung it forward and back, tapping it along the pavement and imagined it once came from James Smith & Sons, the wonderful umbrella shop on New Oxford Street. It was one of those fine dapper umbrellas you know you're only minding, you'll never really own. Such is the temporal nature of umbrellas in this city and this one in particular. You see, I found it in the shared bin room in my last flat - a block of 500 studios. Especially on a Sunday afternoon, the bin room was a veritable source of trash and treasure. This umbrella was leaning against a bin. It's owner must have known it was time to move it on. And yesterday I passed it on to a fellow No.73 bus traveller. I left it hanging on the rail on the back of a seat. I hope they love it. It's worth it.
http://73bus.typepad.com/73bus/2004/10/lost_found.html

Also in Japan probably take more of their umbrellas (cultutal thing)
Never Lost, but Found Daily: Japanese Honesty
By NORIMITSU ONISHI

Published: January 8, 2004

OKYO, Jan. 7 — Anywhere else perhaps, a shiny cellphone fallen on the backseat of a taxi, a nondescript umbrella left leaning against a subway door, a wad of cash dropped on a sidewalk, would be lost forever, the owners resigned to the vicissitudes of big city life.

But here in Tokyo, with 8 million people in the city and 33 million in the metropolitan area, these items and thousands more would probably find their way to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Lost and Found Center. In a four-story warehouse, hundreds of thousands of lost objects are meticulously catalogued according to the date and location of discovery, and the information put in a database.
"I used to live in Chicago, so I can tell you how wonderful this is," she said. "Inside the center, I saw a woman come to pick up an umbrella today. Only for an umbrella. It's something almost impossible to imagine in other cities in the world."
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/08/i...&en=98f9bd88863a14f5&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND
We in the ocident dont care much for our umbrellas...
LB, did your virginity go to the lost & found too?
Or maybe got agregated to the dark matter ?

Back