When people say "it's a high res version of last gen game X"

Maybe he's referring to the throne room, with the supposed million particles?? *shrug*

Tomb Raider is not very imprssive game though, and is not on par with the best console games at all imo. Just based on playing the demo...

I don't think I have got that far in the game yet. No dount Kameo looks great but I honestly don't feel it has anything that I havn't seen in TR:R. Both are a mix of very impressive "next gen effects" and "last gen" graphics IMO.

The big things that impressed me with Kameo were the depth of field, the parallaxed textures, and the grass. TRR matches it in the first two IMO and has much better shadowing to make up for the third.

I mean things like Ploygon counts, texture resolutions, various shader effects, lighting and shadowing methods and the like; the kind of differences that actually exist between games of last gen consoles and the new ones, for instance Halo 2 and Halo 3 to take from the example that started this thread. Sure, there is nothing that looks like FNR3 or even MS on the PC, but best I can tell that is just a matter of art direction and game design rather than any particular "graphic umphh" from the consoles themselves.

The problem with technical aspects is can your really tell a 20k poly count difference in a 150k build, or exact shadowing methods spanning 2 different titles, texture resolutions are considerably different when 2 feet or 10 feet from the viewer, and who is to say that console X game has better shader effects than pc game Y.

A technically more impressive title is not always teh "better looking" title. Not only that but I dont know how to compile this information for most of the console titles.

The problem with technical aspects is can your really tell a 20k poly count difference in a 150k build...
Yeah, that is why those 20k models are used in favor of 150k models when possible, and that goes for all the other features instead, and those technical aspects are the only way we can rightly compare games graphics across genes. Sure, there is no PC game that looks anything like Kameo, but there has been no recent PC game that has even tried to be anything like Kameo, but plenty of PC games have pushed more polygons with more complex shaders and all those other goodies that are used to make Kameo look like it does.

Yeah, that is why those 20k models are used in favor of 150k models when possible, and that goes for all the other features instead, and those technical aspects are the only way we can rightly compare games graphics across genes. Sure, there is no PC game that looks anything like Kameo, but there has been no recent PC game that has even tried to be anything like Kameo, but plenty of PC games have pushed more polygons with more complex shaders and all those other goodies that are used to make Kameo look like it does.

To a point I agree but at what point does one stop with comparisons. For a technical comparison we would need to know a host of examples (texture res., poly count, max characters on screen, animations, lighting, dof, etc) and then compare on an overall basis that is beyond my comprehension as a gamer (sorry ;) ).

I understand where you are coming from and yes in many areas pc games are unmatched by consoles but I believe the opposite is true as well (at least currently).

Company of Heroes, where is that equivalent? Flight Simulator X, No equivalent, Modded Oblivon, same thing.

Its easy to pick specific games and say "platform x has no equivilent" but that doesn't mean platform y has universally better graphics than platform x. Hell, there is still no fighting game equivalent on PC to the best the PS2 can muster!

For example I fully expect Little Big World on PS3 to have better graphics than any "comparable" game on any platform for a good while, will that make PS3 the undisputed king of graphics?

Personally, I think the best looking game regardless of genre today is GeoW or a well modded version of Oblivon. Looking at those graphics and then suggesting the PC is 3 years behind the 360 or PS3 is absurd.

Well, obviously when you use phrases like 'universally better' and 'undisputed king' of GFX, nobody will ever make those claims.

But I think you can go through a number of genres, and in general if you want the best eye candy you can get, you should pick up a console. Tha variety of games, and number of games with extremely high production values is just better, right now.

For example, is there anywhere on the PC I can get stuff that looks as incredible as this:
1173208384.jpg

Well, obviously when you use phrases like 'universally better' and 'undisputed king' of GFX, nobody will ever make those claims.

But I think you can go through a number of genres, and in general if you want the best eye candy you can get, you should pick up a console. Tha variety of games, and number of games with extremely high production values is just better, right now.

For example, is there anywhere on the PC I can get stuff that looks as incredible as this:
1173208384.jpg

But I do have a console, I have a 360 and as a self proffesed graphics whore I think I have the pick of the graphical showcases for the system (Gears, Kameo, FN3, PG3) and I honestly don't see anything on my 360 which is above and beyond what I see on my PC when I play Oblivon, or Company of Heroes or even HL2: Episode One.

BTW, I don't know what that game is but im fairly certain it isn't a gameplay screen and even if it where, IMO I don't think its equals some of the actual gampleay pics I have already posted.

umm pj the only difference is theres more aa in your pic.

i think thats that blue dragon or blue thunder rpg game for 360

also 12 fps? fraps bug?

I have an 8800 gtx. I believe his pic wasnt from his personal gameplay (is that what you are referring too??).

Assuming the same thing that you are then yes, that pic wasn't from my own gameplay, it was taken from the net. I have a GTS but my experience with the demo was one pf perfect gameplay with one or two dips.

Assuming the same thing that you are then yes, that pic wasn't from my own gameplay, it was taken from the net. I have a GTS but my experience with the demo was one pf perfect gameplay with one or two dips.

Im not trying to make a case against TR Legends or pc gaming or anything of the like, just that framerate dips are common amongst all platforms.

Back