When enough is enough (AF quality on g70)

tEd said:
Understanding? Yes how long since gtx reviews have been put up? I don't expect them to have a major IQ article right at the start though i expect that they at least once look at the monitor while reviewing the card and if they are lucky might even have a game running while doing it and then the problem would at least been noticed and then i expect them to tell me what they saw. I recently had some time playing around with a gf6u and checked out AF with quality setting. I started 2 games(q3,ut2004) took me 3-4min. and what i saw was simply shocking , and if some of those reviewers tell me they don't see the shimmering than maybe they should stop reviewing graphiccards.

I understand that there is time pressure but investing 10-20min. starting some games and see how they look and if there are any obvious issues can't be too much to ask.

What do you get in Far Cry and HL2, are they shimmering? I don't see this happening in all applications and seems to be mostly on non shader areas where there is no per pixel surface shaders I mean.

Razor1 said:
What do you get in Far Cry and HL2, are they shimmering? I don't see this happening in all applications and seems to be mostly on non shader areas where there is no per pixel surface shaders I mean.

With the driver default quality setting certainly. With HQ on g70 is very likely that you get shimmering here and there too.

I think many people don't know how bad it actually is.I mean how could they as reviews usually don't go there and in the best case you get some screenshots and there you can't notice whether it's gonna shimmer or not

The 2 games i tried with the quality setting i mentioned above the result were not just a litte noisier textures i mean the texture were almost swimming absolutely horrible.

tEd said:
Understanding? Yes how long since gtx reviews have been put up? I don't expect them to have a major IQ article right at the start though i expect that they at least once look at the monitor while reviewing the card and if they are lucky might even have a game running while doing it and then the problem would at least been noticed and then i expect them to tell me what they saw. I recently had some time playing around with a gf6u and checked out AF with quality setting. I started 2 games(q3,ut2004) took me 3-4min. and what i saw was simply shocking , and if some of those reviewers tell me they don't see the shimmering than maybe they should stop reviewing graphiccards.

I understand that there is time pressure but investing 10-20min. starting some games and see how they look and if there are any obvious issues can't be too much to ask.

Personally I had a write up that exposed the issue as early as July 2004 on air. It took me more than 2 weeks to write it, just because I actually played through a fair part of the games.

However you may want to try your luck yourself sometime with such a project, preferably with a couple of hours deadline and then we'll see what comes out at the other end ;)

Ailuros said:
Personally I had a write up that exposed the issue as early as July 2004 on air. It took me more than 2 weeks to write it, just because I actually played through a fair part of the games.

However you may want to try your luck yourself sometime with such a project, preferably with a couple of hours deadline and then we'll see what comes out at the other end ;)

I know that such article takes time and energy (on a side note the big sites , people who work there are paid i am right?)as i said i don't expect them to have a fully written IQ article but 10-20min. investment tops and at least write 1-2 sentence about it like hadware.fr did just so that people are aware there is something which need further investigation.

After that they have enough time more deeply look into it and update the review later on or even make seperate article about it.

tEd said:
I know that such article takes time and energy (on a side note the big sites , people who work there are paid i am right?)as i said i don't expect them to have a fully written IQ article but 10-20min.

More like a several hours minimum and they don't necessarily get paid.

investment tops and at least write 1-2 sentence about it like hadware.fr did just so that people are aware there is something which need further investigation.

After that they have enough time more deeply look into it and update the review later on or even make seperate article about it.

Have a look at my latest input in the 3dCenter forums.

BF2 shimmers very badly for me, unless quality is set to the highest. It looks horrible and is very distracting.

Ailuros said:
More like a several hours minimum and they don't necessarily get paid.

That was worded wrong. 10-20min for just start 2-3 games and notice the problem. Writing a fully article about it sure takes hours maybe even a couple of days.

Well. I'm not gonna share my data yet. Because I'm not 100% sure if its conclusive. I do think people might want to take a look at the LoD Clamp though. It might provide some interesting insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisRay said:
Well. I'm not gonna share my data yet. Because I'm not 100% sure if its conclusive. I do think people might want to take a look at the LoD Clamp though.

Thats the other feature that helped me fix the shimmering, I guess. I posted a thread asking for help after I got my GTX with shimmering in BF2. I was told to set the drivers to highest quality (which I normally do anyways) but hadnt done so yet. And set the clamp the negative LOD. I did that, and the shimmering is (almost) gone.

After installing XP 64-bit last week. I set it to clamp again, but didnt set drivers to highest quality. I had shimmering again, and immediatly remembered I hadnt yet changed the driver settings. Quit the game, changed it, fired it back up, and the shimmering was almost gone.

Why its not set to clamp default I have no idea.

No no. Dont get me wrong. I'm not telling people to use the clamp. I am suggesting people test the clamp and make some comparisons.

Why its not set to clamp default I have no idea.
Because the app is explicitly requesting a negative LOD bias? All LOD clamp does is:
Code:
if (lod_bias_requested < 0) {
   lod_bias_requested = 0;
}

You don't want the GPU to go behind your back and go "no no, you really wanted fp16/compressed textures/bilinear/etc instead!" Why should it be different for LOD bias? The default is to use what the app asks for, and you get an option to clamp it if you think it'll improve your image quality.

You may even notice a performance increase when you enable this option, since you'll be shifting yourself a little more into the mipmap stack.

It seems that the "cheat allegations" pop up shortly efter every launch these days. :smile:

Wait a month and nobody cares. We'll probably hear something simular after the R520 launch. Personally i'm tired of reading/hearing about it. I've never been able to tell the difference anyway. ;)

Well I sure as hell noticed shimmering in KOTOR 1 & 2 on my 6800Go. HQ mode fixes it. This is not something my old 9600 and 9700 did with default settings.

tEd said:
It's the fraps format therfor you need to have the latest fraps installed to make the vids work. They are big because they are lossless compressed.

It's a quality comparison after all
No offence, but you can get extremely good results with mpeg4 these days, for a few years even.
lossless is not needed in this instance, I've used fraps before and compressed them to various formats and fonud the quality different minimal at worst.
70MB for a few seconds is ridicules, and it doesn't look lossless to me, there is a defininate difference between that video and what I see when gaming at 1024(the res of the video).

Last edited by a moderator:
They could have compressed it, oh well, not that big of a deal honestly. The reason FRAPS doesnt compress is because compressing while capturing would throw the FPS even lower, and while recording in FRAPS you're already talking about a constant 30FPS at highest most likely.

I made the videos and I couldn't find any satisfying compression. If there were artefacts because of the compression fan--boys (and probably nvidia) would have say "These videos are meaningless, artefacts come from the compression."Losless was required.

Bob said:
Because the app is explicitly requesting a negative LOD bias? All LOD clamp does is:
Code:
if (lod_bias_requested < 0) {
   lod_bias_requested = 0;
}

You don't want the GPU to go behind your back and go "no no, you really wanted fp16/compressed textures/bilinear/etc instead!" Why should it be different for LOD bias? The default is to use what the app asks for, and you get an option to clamp it if you think it'll improve your image quality.

You may even notice a performance increase when you enable this option, since you'll be shifting yourself a little more into the mipmap stack.

It does cure aliasing though in such cases; the trouble is that I'm suspecting that it has always been there since the NV40 introduction and not something that was added with the G70.

IbaneZ said:
It seems that the "cheat allegations" pop up shortly efter every launch these days. :smile:

Wait a month and nobody cares. We'll probably hear something simular after the R520 launch. Personally i'm tired of reading/hearing about it. I've never been able to tell the difference anyway. ;)

My highlight.

Because no-one has managed to make you aware of any isn't it? It then comes down if you want as a consumer to be aware of any of those issues and if performance is really all you care about in the end.

The less the average consumer cares, the worse it might get as time goes by. Up to a certain degree ted has a point; those that evaluate hardware in reviews have that exact responsibility to make the public aware of all possible positive and negative sides. After that anyone can decide for himself what is and what isn't good enough for him.

/me wonders which was first company to made "fast" aniso... with noticeable problems also... and reviewers were happy to use non-equal-quality modes comparing ATi vs NVidia...
so why wonder if we get worse and worse quality on certain cases?

Back