Whats your opinion on

why exactly ?
ive only had a quick look at them in the shops but they seem ok, nothing sticks out as being bad and image quality appears to be very close to the expensive models
and arnt there only a few panel manufactuers so all the tft's use the same panels

I have a cheap 19" Samsung 913n. Good enough for gaming and movies, sharp but the respons time is a bit slow even though it says on the box 8ms for blacks... 8ms for other colors perhaps, but not black. I think they tested it and the response is more like 12ms, anyhow it's acceptable if you're not too picky.

why exactly ?
ive only had a quick look at them in the shops but they seem ok, nothing sticks out as being bad and image quality appears to be very close to the expensive models
and arnt there only a few panel manufactuers so all the tft's use the same panels

Ususally the software is complete crap. Lack of any possibility to set say the overscan or the picture size is NOT what you want as a gamer. Also, there are huge differences in picture quyality, but you can only see those when really using it. In shops they all look good at first glance.

If you dont need/want good image quality there is nothing wrong with the cheap screens. We have a bunch of cheap 17'' tft screens at school and they really arnt that bad, everything looks normal and decent enough for everyday use as browsing and some gaming.

whats overscan?
i bought a very expensive tft and it didnt come with any software (apart from a colour profile) all the settings are done from the osd

edit: did a bit of googling for overscan and found this:

LCD monitors don't need overscan because the input is from a computer which doesn't have extraneous info on the edges. LCD TV's do for the same reason all other TV's do.

Last edited by a moderator:
because im poor
i do have an expensive tft 17inch $795 or £400

like I say ive only had a really quick look at cheap screens in the shop but the image doesnt seem much different

Last edited by a moderator:
I think cheapos are great for office applications (I have a cheapo acer 22" widescreen on my laptop at the office) but not so great for games, photos, videos, etc. For that I have a nicer dell 24" at home.

what does worry me is that it will be a 6bit panel instead of 8bit
8bit to 6bit doesnt seem like a big difference when written in that way
but write it another way and the difference appears huge
for example: 8bit pannels dont display 2x the amount of colours or 5x not even 10x
but 64x the amount of colours that a 6bit panel can display - when you look at it like that it appears massive

Dithering. I can bet 80% who "love" their 8-bit displays couldn't tell the difference between a 6-bit with great dithering and a 8-bit. Just don't buy a cheap crap monitor, get something that's cheap but decent, research...

Having actually used one of these extensively, I can say that there is nothing wrong with them. My major complaint would be that the viewing angle is crap, but for things like gaming and browsing the internet, I don't particularly care if other people can see me doing those things all that well.

Skyring that wiki article isnt the best flag bearer for 6bit displays :D

"These particular panels, with 6 bits per color channel as opposed to 8, can approach 24-bit color using a dithering method which combines adjacent pixels to simulate the desired shade. They can also use FRC (Frame Rate Control), the less conspicuous of the two. FRC quickly cycles pixels over time to simulate a given shade. These color simulation methods are noticeable to most people and discomforting for some. FRC tends to be most noticeable in darker tones. Dithering has the tendency to appear as if the individual pixels of the LCD were actually visible. Overall, color reproduction and linearity on TN panels is poor."

That's an opinion, you should ignore such things when using Wikipedia... The point of it was simply to show that real dithering does happen. Over time the quality of it has improved greatly, simply look at monitors reviews around the web and incresingly TN panels have gained higher and higher image quality ratings.

Back