Whats up with a.as-us.falkag.net?

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Ok seems like loading a.as-us.falkag.net has been extremely slow for me. Anyone else having problem when loading a page?

later,
epic

for me, it is red01.as-us.falkag.net

I just added it to the hosts file, redirected to 127.0.0.1

let me access the boards just fine.

seems to be improved now... and you should probably view the ads so that Dave doesn't have to pay too much out of his own pocket. plus, the haircut on the woman in the Vonage ad makes me giggle like a schoolgirl every time I see it.

Althornin said:

Do you want to read B3D?

I don't mind viewing ads, but when they effectively make the site unusable it's an entirely different matter. I take it that's a good sign, meaning Beyond3D is overwhelming their servers with plenty of requests.

Dave, any thoughts on having some means of making a donation?

I think its a fact of life these days that there are going to be periodic slowdowns in parts of the net due to traffic overload from dos attacks/virus/heavy loads of spam - given that we are running via two ad providers (one through the other) this increases our risk of being slowed down by either one of them. Generally speaking though these are only period issues and are usually resolved in short time.

On the whole the ads will stay, regardless of what happens. We are contempating the idea of making a subsription based service such that paid users can log on to a secure area whith cut down / no ads. However, if we do this it won't be anytime soon.

DaveBaumann said:
Althornin said:

Do you want to read B3D?
huh?
I blocked it when it was so slow that i COULDNT read B3D.
I realize that you will have to deal with ad based slowdowns, but honestly, you are one of a few sites whose ads i dont block regularly, so maybe you could just accept that when people want to read the site, they are gonna do whats nessesary - like block an adserver if its too slow, for a while.
I have no problem views the ads when there do not present a major impediment to the site, but otherwise, its rediculous to expect people to accept delays on the order of minutes per page load - fixing that, and notifying us that it is fixed, is your responsibility - and then i will go back to letting the ads load.

Speaking of which, is there a place i can donate so that i can block the ads without feeling bad about it? I'd rather give you guys some cash and not have to deal with this, ever.

I thought it was the responsibility of the guys running the ads? You can't give Dave the responsibility of something that he isn't responsible for.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I thought it was the responsibility of the guys running the ads? You can't give Dave the responsibility of something that he isn't responsible for.
Look, i really dont care whose responsibility it is, but if an adserver is slow, it should be removed from the site. Nice way to nitpick though, and miss the main point.

I do hope i dont come off as too much of a huge dick in the above post, but i really dont like feeling accused of being part of the downfall of B3D just because on the day or so when its ads were slow i blocked em. get fucking real.

You apologise for being a 'dick' and then you say 'get fucking real'. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Does anyone else see what's wrong with that? :?

I have never blocked the adds and I try to click on them at least once a vist. Dunno how much that helps. If its something interesting i will read the site a bit .

K.I.L.E.R said:
You apologise for being a 'dick' and then you say 'get fucking real'. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Does anyone else see what's wrong with that? :?
nope. Thanks for the insightful post though. keep up the good work!
Missing the point is so fun, and you do it so well and so often!

another note: i didnt "apologise", i said i hope i didnt come off as too big of a dick - because doing so was not my intention. Your posts however, are kinda irritating in their immense ability to miss the point. Your inability to read and comprehend does not my problem make, as yoda would say. SO please, in the future, if you cant comprehend, stay out of the way.

Missing the point is so fun, and you do it so well and so often!

You have missed mine twice already. The point you're trying to make is moot and you haven't successfully made your point yet. So how can I miss something that doesn't exist?

You haven't directly apologised as it was implied.

Your inability to read and comprehend does not my problem make, as yoda would say.

Dave shouldn't have to babysit adults or children like yourself who make comments like this.
Your inability to be serious in any of your posts makes me wander why am I responding to your posts.

I doubt Dave will take anything you said seriously either.

With an attitude like that maybe you can get a job as a toilet cleaner? :LOL:

Hey, if you aren't going to be serious neither will I. :)

ok, lets not start a flame war(of sorts) in here. Youll get the site feedback forum locked. ;)

Let me tell you my situation. Whenever the sites slows down to a crawl because of the ads, ive mentioned it here. What I tend to do is block the address for a week or so and then delete the entry. I figure a week should be plenty of time to fix the problem. I do visit some of the sites that interest me from time to time.

I do realize that this site has to pay its bills, and support its staff. Thats why ive tried to suggest ways to help support b3d without the current ads. I know ive started threads or posted several times about getting a donation system or getting an affiliation with amazon.com. Both ways should raise enough money to get off the ad revenue. I have no idea how much it raises, so im speaking out of ignorance. ;)

Anyways, im sure that the problem will be fixed or we will just ride the wave out.

later,
epic

Don't worry Epic I won't be responding to his next posts. I don't want to encourage such behaviour on these forums. :)

I see your point Epic, I would like to see alternative ways to support B3D. Alternative ways aren't very difficult to find but they have to be practical.

Having considered the Ads things again, I have also removed the Ads server entries in my Windows host table and let them retrieve them again.

And yes, I would also like to see some alternative way to support B3D.

if I could pay $10 to view B3D ad-free, I probably would. B3D is one of those few sites where I'm an idiot (hey, I'm working on it). It's refreshing. :)

K.I.L.E.R said:
(spouts some worthless babble :) :) :))
Yeah thanks.
MY temper often gets into the way of me disseminating information, most often when i feel unfairly attacked (that usually triggers it right away). Thats why i left and havent posted in this thread.
I thought that i would at least try and explain my POV though - because i dont feel it got across at all.

I only advocated blocking said problem ad site becasue it was preventing users from actually even getting to B3D and/or reading/posting here.
As i said later, it was a measure that should be removed as soon as a fix is in place - and it was.

I dont think assuming that someone who says "block the ad site that is currently screwing B3D over 100%" is trying to destroy B3D (as implied by davebaumann's "Do you want to read B3D?" remark) is fair at all.

I was merely trying to post some useful info so that users could enjoy the site, and upon a fix, we could re-edit the hosts file (as i did).

I would of course prefer for a way to simply donate and then just block the damn ads, because i hate em, but if a site doesnt have that...and i like and respect that site...i dont have a choice.

The other reason i posted here is that just recently (last 10 mins) i have ahd to block netshelter.adtrix.com to get to the site in less than 10 mins, and i figured some people might like that info.

Back