What price would the XBOX 360 HD DVD player have to be for you to buy it? (USDollars)

Your magic pricepoint to buy the XBOX 360 HD DVD Player is:

• Total voters

Ruined

Regular
Well, what is your magic number to buy this addon in US Dollars? Note that this external USB HD DVDROM drive works both on the XBOX 360 and the PC. Vote away! :)

I wouldn't buy it regardless of price. (Where's that option in your poll? :cool:)

First off its design is completely off compared to the 360. If the two units had at least matched each other's appearance but nooooo.. YhThey don't.

Second it has an external power supply which makes a 360 setup even messier with a second power brick cluttering up the floor. Especially if you also use the wireless headset which remarkably does not charge through USB (horrible oversight) and needs another power supply all of its own.

Third HDDVD is inherently inferior to bluray and only manages to splinter the market and slkow adoption of a transition to a HD disc format.

HDDVD needs to die. The quicker the better.
Peace.

Realistically, probably $49. MAYBE $79 or so.

There's too much risk of HDDVD dying out, and yeah also the add-on isn't very optimal, stand alone is better.

The power brick on it is tiny though, for whoever was complaining about that up there. Besides, the PS3 is huge because of internal PSU, so I mean what difference does it make whether the size is external or internal when it comes to PSU's..
Especially if you also use the wireless headset which remarkably does not charge through USB (horrible oversight) and needs another power supply all of its own.

Yeah, it's called a battery?..I'd rather that than a non-replacable battery that is dead forever once it dies like sixaxis.

I wouldn't buy it right now, just like I wouldn't buy a stand alone HD DVD player or Blu-Ray player. Neither disk is safe enough yet for me (though I do believe Blu-Ray will win this "war").

The cost of the Player simply isn't relevant to me.
If there was a single format and it looked to be successful, a $500+ stand alone player wouldn't put me off.
I just have no interest in using my game system to watch HD Movies. And I have no interest in buying movies on a disc format that might not exist in any real way in 2 years.

The power brick on it is tiny though, for whoever was complaining about that up there. Besides, the PS3 is huge because of internal PSU, so I mean what difference does it make whether the size is external or internal when it comes to PSU's..

Appearance :D
It makes all the difference

I have too many wires in my current setup already. Adding bricks to the setup doesn't help a thing.

I second that HD DVD is slowing down the whole market. and this HD DVD addon probably only worsened the situation.
Yes, competition drives down prices of both HD DVD and Blu-ray. But I don't see too much of that in the BD market as I can tell.
There's plenty of price cuts from the HD DVD camp, but I don't see that much of the same cut-throat price cuts from Blu-ray.
The fact that the PS3 still remains one of the least expensive blu ray players after close to one year probably explains itself.

Having price cuts from HD DVD sounds like desparation to me. They have no serious long term plan on bringing HD DVD to the masses. Blu-ray had PS3 to do it. HD-DVD had bupcus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Third HDDVD is inherently inferior to bluray and only manages to splinter the market and slkow adoption of a transition to a HD disc format.

Then why have direct comparisons between the same films on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD shown the HD-DVD to have superior quality in many cases? Extra storage space is meaningless if no-one bothers to use it effectively.

And given that Blu-Ray has all this masses of studio support, all this technical superiority, all these amazing sales figures, how come it isn't annihilating HD-DVD in the US? It's still a two-horse race with Blu-Ray a long way from being convincingly ahead.

It's still a two-horse race here in Europe, too - but with HD-DVD ahead. Blu-Ray needs to die, the quicker the better. ;)

Realistically, probably $49. MAYBE $79 or so.

There's too much risk of HDDVD dying out, and yeah also the add-on isn't very optimal, stand alone is better.

49$ is th right price for a HD drive (HDDVD or Blu-ray) who need to put to a 360, a PC, or another thing…
But I think that a really good idea for MS is to offer a HDDVD/Blu-ray drive for 99$ ;)

Then why have direct comparisons between the same films on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD shown the HD-DVD to have superior quality in many cases?
That doesn't change the fact BluRay is inherently technically superior, as was Rainbow Man's point. Better output from HD-DVD means at the moment, better software, as you rouself say, and not technical superiority.

Anyhow, competing movie formats isn't really a topic for the console forum. The official topic is "what will make you buy such-and-such a console peripheral". Comments that one is awaiting to see a resolution to the competing formats are okay as that explains one's viewpoint. However discussion on which format will win/lose and which format is better, is outside the remit of the forum. And besides we all know where such 'discussion' will go...

Guys, Shifty told you this is not a BR vs HD DVD discussion, there's an entire forum devoted to that stuff. This here is about the add-on and what it 'd take for you to shell out some bucks for it.

Move it over to one of your media center PC's.
What? WHY??

There's absolutely zero reason to plug an external player into a PC. It just adds cable clutter and needs an extra wall socket/power supply. That defeats the PC's purpose as a all-in-one device.

If one has to use a PC as the basis of ones home entertainment needs (I'm not convinced that's such a great idea) then an internal drive would surely be much preferrable. Especially as there's units to be had already that read both HD disc formats.

Peace.

What? WHY??

There's absolutely zero reason to plug an external player into a PC. It just adds cable clutter and needs an extra wall socket/power supply. That defeats the PC's purpose as a all-in-one device.

If one has to use a PC as the basis of ones home entertainment needs (I'm not convinced that's such a great idea) then an internal drive would surely be much preferrable. Especially as there's units to be had already that read both HD disc formats.

Peace.

A external unit allows it to be mobile. I can use the same unit on my desktop, laptop, HTPC, etc. This means for a rather expensive piece of equipment the cost overall is far less and I can basically put the functionality on all of these units at a given time. That is one major reason I can think of. The PC to me really is not about being an all in one device, its about being a extensible device that allows me to add parts that I want and need when I want and need them.

Other reasons could include: HTPC case doesn't have space for another internal drive. You like the looks of the external drive (personal preference here). Its pretty annoying though when someone generalizes that there are "zero reasons" to use a external device/drive, or anything for that matter.

I voted $99, but only I buy it at that price if Batman Begins or Dark Knight is included free. ;)

Tommy McClain

I said $99, but I needed a "Not going to invest in HD-DVD" option. I also don't want an add-on, I don't have room for it.

I wouldn't buy it regardless of price. (Where's that option in your poll? :cool:)

I second this. From the moment you start up your new X360, youre pretty much counting the days until it beats its last pulse :p

So why would I want to hasten its demise? ;)

I only use my X360 for games AND games alone. Any media content on marketplace or dvd playback is an absolute no-no.

Besides, its hard to "invest" on a format (even at $99 for ex.) when youre not sure about its longetivity and support. For the PS3 it makes sense, since it somewhat benefits the games, for the X360, well you know....

Back