What music are you listening to right now?

Thanks Davros, just finished that doc. Very interesting. It's such a stark contrast in feel from the Nile Rodgers doc.

theres a series of them
heavy metal britanica
synth britanica
punk britania
festivals britanica
all on youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a single sub genre that's quite as stuck in the past as prog? I don't dislike it. I just don't get what's progressive about aping the sound of old ELP/Floyd/Yes records. Is it the technical wankery?

Is there a single sub genre that's quite as stuck in the past as prog? I don't dislike it. I just don't get what's progressive about aping the sound of old ELP/Floyd/Yes records.

'Prog' covers several different sub-genres. Animals as Leaders for example sound absolutely nothing like the prog rock of old (or any music that has preceeded them). I suppose you could call them prog metal.

'Prog' generally means music with complex rhythms, melodies and time changes, often with things like vocal or lyrical themes running through albums.

Aren't most established sub-genres stuck in the past though? How far has delta blues come, or bebop, thrash metal or NWOBHM?

Innovations tend to come in the form of new sub-genres. Drum'n'bass, Post-rock, metalcore, garage, Djent (big debates over whether this is a sub-genre or not but you get the idea).

Is it the technical wankery?

If you are going to dismiss an entire genre with a generalisation then that's as good as any I suppose! ;)

Prog does tend to be technical though, and not particularly accessible for a lot of people.

I am absolutely obsessed with new girl on the block, FKA Twigs. Absolutely gorgeous and a total breath of fresh air.
Do yourself a favour, check these videos out.
And she's dating Robert Pattinson, which makes her even cooler in my books.

Last edited:
A bit of Neo Prog
Pallas - The Ripper
Quite a controversial song in its day as it was about britains most notorious serial killer Peter Sutcliff aka The Yorkshire Ripper
ps: being prog the intro lasts for 3 and a half minutes

Audio just released a new mix on RAM. I can't link the full thing, pay only, but here's the minimix!

Back