What is the best survival horror game, in your opinion?

The original Alone in the Dark (1992). Unfortunately, it never saw a console release so a lot of people never got to play it although it did inspire future games like Resident Evil. According to the Guinness World Records, it's the first 3D survival horror game, so it basically spawned that genre.

It remains the only horror game that has ever scared me or made me feel any level of fear.

Regards,
SB

There are lots of amazing survival horror games to enjoy.

And new ways to experience it. VR (survival) horror is really something else.

Last edited:
I don't find the RE games scary anymore. In RE8 for example, the only real scary part was when you lost your weapons in the house, as you are followed by a mutant baby thing. Because you know it can kill you right away, it causes you to run away.

The rest of the game is rather corny.

I don't find the RE games scary anymore. In RE8 for example, the only real scary part was when you lost your weapons in the house, as you are followed by a mutant baby thing. Because you know it can kill you right away, it causes you to run away.

The rest of the game is rather corny.
Have you tried any VR horror? The immersion really changes the experience with horror gaming. And there are a lot of great horror games available. Some even free.

In my opinion, The Evil Within 2 is underrated.

It feels like a Silent Hill game, but with the gameplay of Resident Evil 4 onwards. However, it was only considered to be a moderate hit.

People just love Capcom too much. I think that's the problem. Their games now are kind of weak, but because Capcom is a legacy company, everything else gets buried.

I tried a game called Song of Horror recently, but you know what? It's a good, scary game, and one that takes you back to the good old days of this particular genre. But since it wasn't made by Capcom, no-one cares about it.

It feels like a Silent Hill game, but with the gameplay of Resident Evil 4 onwards. However, it was only considered to be a moderate hit.

People just love Capcom too much. I think that's the problem. Their games now are kind of weak, but because Capcom is a legacy company, everything else gets buried.

I tried a game called Song of Horror recently, but you know what? It's a good, scary game, and one that takes you back to the good old days of this particular genre. But since it wasn't made by Capcom, no-one cares about it.
Capcom games are kind of weak ? Imo they are now very good and defenitly better than in few years back. Re7, re2r, re3r(not as good but still decent), re8 all good games - but maybe you into more scary kinda of horrors. But still re7 was quite scary (especialy in vr) and mr x in re2r increased my heart beat :d

I didnt play Evil Within 2 but Evil Within 1 for me felt like a parody of survival horror games.
Especially near the end it became ridiculous.

About Song of Horror and other games, we just didnt hear about them, and the devs are too small to be able to promote their games as much asthose of big and known companies.

I wonder why nobody mentioned Dead Space

Deep Space, IMO, isn't the scary. Its horror elements come from just masses of blood and gore. At least, for me, I found it the least scary of all horror games. Enemies are too easy to dismember and kill, rendering them mostly harmless.

Good game, but not one that I actually consider a horror game.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
In that category Alone in the Dark has never being topped by any other games I have played. But it was much more than a "survival horror game": It was also excellent Exploration, puzzles, artstyle, story and music. The whole package was tremendous back then. And that game was more playable than RE1 (PS1) for me.

Minecraft back in early alpha before there were websites that explained how to make anything or explain the behaviours of enemies. I remember it took me a few tries just to survive the first night and that was mostly because you were faced with the complete unknown and there were no guides. There were endless debates about whether spiders could climb certain materials, and people trying to build a base of - for example - sandstone, to prevent spiders invading.

Good times.

Back