What is the absolute best socket 939 CPU?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Just curious, I got that CPU upgrade bug and I decided to try a new approach. Find out what the absolute best I can get is and seeing if I can find it used for cheap....

Yeah Snipe, those Newegg ones were the ones that got me all thinking/drooling too. :)

I just thought I'd poke around on the for sale/trade boards and such and see if there were any insane bargains around, I was feeling lucky...I just wasn't sure what to look for.

Thanks Shaidar. Those sound like what I was looking for. :)

Just curious, I got that CPU upgrade bug and I decided to try a new approach. Find out what the absolute best I can get is and seeing if I can find it used for cheap....

haha I know what you mean, I was thinking the exact thing a few weeks ago (through Newegg too!). I've got an HTPC with a 3800+ single core (2.4GHz 130nm), and I've been meaning to get a dual core setup, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money either. But now that I think about it, I'll probably do a CPU/mobo upgrade instead and just ditch the aging S939 (Why couldn't AMD just stick to it :cry: ).

The performance of Core 2 is just too attractive especially with the power consumption. Now I'm waiting for Penryn to show up and I'll get their lowest end quad core along with a microATX board. That should last awhile in there. :cool:

No argument on the C2D being tasty and all, but what I've been finding with a 3500+ is that it's damn near more than enough for me with the 2900XT.

I'm really curious to see how much if any improvement I get going to a faster dual core.

That and I just can't see buying a new mobo/memory right now, well rather I CAN'T right now.. :oops:

It really depends on what you play of course, but I noticed a huge boost in Quake IV with the dual core patch when I changed one of my systems from a Venice 3500+ @ 2.75GHz (11*250) to a C2D E6300@2.33GHz (7*333). I have a 7900GTX, played it at 1400*1050 + 2xAA. The framerate is a heck of a lot more stable and can keep at higher framerates believe it or not. It was a night and day difference when I loaded up the game on the dual core. (I don't mean to compare CPU architectures, just single ->dual core).

In WinXP, after assigning CPU affinities, things just seemed a lot more responsive; it's a pain in the ass to do it every time windows starts up although Vista seems more competent. I do tend to multitask a lot (5+ tabs in firefox, iTunes, MSN, photoshop/mspaint dabbling, or some open pdf).

I think you'll be satisfied doubling up that 3500+ core to a 4200+. :)

For those stuck using Windows XP, imagecfg is a must have.

The topic question sounds like a good joke ... with the punchline of "One replaced with a Core 2 Quad". ;)

Yeah I used imagecfg for KOTOR and shock2. I did this only because the games ran incorrectly, too fast or too slow, or things didn't work right somehow.

I've read that it's best to let XP do its own thing. Even though you see the weird 50% spread with a single threaded app, that's not a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
for best performance I'd go with an opty 185 (actually i did :) i just upgraded my other computer that was running a 939 sempron :oops: ... I didn't OC it though coz I wasn't ball-sy enough)

a lot pricier compared to it's AM2 cousins with similar performance but it's the best CPU out there that's still available.

or you can get a lesser available opty or X2 and just OC it :)

Back