What fps increase I can expect?

Matas

Newcomer
What fps increase I can expect in games running from 2x512Mb 333Mhz CL 2.5(not dual channel memory) to 2x512Mb 400Mhz CL 2.0(dual channel memory) on mine Athlon 64 X2 3800+? Thanks in advanced.

How much higher framerate you would get depends on what game/application you are running.

If you have two 512MB modules running on the system then you are most likely already running them in dual channel and wont see that big boost if you upgrade (and then I'd recommend you to choose some 250MHz/500MHz modules instead as they can be found at low prices). The memory slots on the motherboard is probably set up so you would have [1st channel 1st slot] then next to it [2nd channel 1st slot] then [1st channel 2nd slot] and last [2nd channel 2nd slot]. If you have your memory modules sitting next to each other you are probably running dual channel already. Have a look at your motherboard manual on how you set up the memory to work in dual channel. The memory modules does not need to be "matched" to be run in dual channel, they only need to be able to run at the same frequency with the same settings (this may not be guaranteed if you just choose two different modules at random, but they will probably run together just fine at slower timings than they are rated). And setting it up is probably easy enough if you set them to run at SPD settings (SPD means that the BIOS will check the settings that has been burned into a flash rom on the memory modules, that tiny 2.5x4mm chip in the corner, and then try to match the settings from the different modules as well as it can and choose one to run the memory at).

If you want to dig deeper then you can check the technical documentation of the Athlon 64 on AMDs site. I think the BIOS and Kernel devellopers guide that would be most interesting for you if you want to know how it works. This is a bit technical though but maybe you'll find you like that stuff and become interested in how things work.

You could try to overclock the modules you have to 400MHz CAS2.5 as my guess is that they would run at that frequency without problems. And then spend your money on something else.:D

Here is a couple of guides for people new to overclocking (I just quickly browsed the important stuff and they seem alright):
pcstats beginners guide
mad shrimps athlon 64 general overclocking guide

Really thanks for the info. Mine 2x512Mb 333Mhz is not harmonizd and is running on single channel. When I put them on dual channel, my PC doesn't load.
I want to sell them and buy matched pair of 2x512Mb 400Mhz, that could be able to run on dual channel. So I want to know what performance increase i could except in games, such as Far Cry and so on. P.S. I'm running games at high settings for example 1600x1200 4xAA 16AF, because mine 7800 GT is able to handle them:)

Try relaxing the timings on the modules and setting them to that of the slower module.
Use (for example) cpu-z to find out the timings the slower module is using and then set those timings in the bios so that both modules use them then they should work in dual channel since they work fine in single channel at those settings. Try just swapping places of the modules and running SPD timings in dual channel and see if that works, like:
module 1 = m1
module 2 = m2

Code:
[1st channel 1st slot] [2nd channel 1st slot]
         m1                      m2
[1st channel 1st slot] [2nd channel 1st slot]
         m2                      m1
[1st channel 2nd slot] [2nd channel 2nd slot]
         m1                      m2
[1st channel 2nd slot] [2nd channel 2nd slot]
         m2                      m1
Just try these in in order and see if one of them works. You could try using first slot on one channel and second slot on the other too if it still does not work.

EDIT: Since they are working in single channel they have one setting that will work for them both.

Have you tried what I suggested ? all the different combinations ?
I've managed to get alot of noname modules to work together with a bit of work. Actually I have not found any pair that I didn't get working and I've tried (I'd guess) 10 different pairs (not all noname though). I've even had two 250MHz (pc4000) modules working in dual channel with a pc2100 module. Just have patience and try all the combinations.

EDIT: try relaxing the timings to say 2.5-4-4 or 3-4-4. Overclocking and running stuff out of spec takes time and patience but it's worth it in most cases.

I tried all your variations, but it seems that these modules are too stubborn:(
I get a little bit more money, so now I'm planning to buy 2x1024 memory modules:)
What you advise for me: Corsair Twinx2048-3200c2( 2-3-3-6) or
Corsair Twinx2048-4000PT( 3-4-4-8)

If you are not going to overclock at all I'd lean towards the pc4000 modules. But I suspect with a little overclocking the pc3200 modules will be better. I'm afraid I cannot give a straight answer since I couldn't find out what memory chips there is on the modules, however if you can you can check xtremesystems forums and see which ones seem to do better. Good luck with the new modules. :smile:

maaoouud said:
If you are not going to overclock at all I'd lean towards the pc4000 modules. But I suspect with a little overclocking the pc3200 modules will be better. I'm afraid I cannot give a straight answer since I couldn't find out what memory chips there is on the modules, however if you can you can check xtremesystems forums and see which ones seem to do better. Good luck with the new modules. :smile:

So, if I'm not going to overclock, it is better to choose PC4000?

Matas said:
So, if I'm not going to overclock, it is better to choose PC4000?

If you're not going to overclock then it makes little difference. DDR500 will default to DDR400 on an AMD64 system, unless you overclock... In which case the PC4000 would be the wiser choice.

Ken2012 said:
If you're not going to overclock then it makes little difference. DDR500 will default to DDR400 on an AMD64 system, unless you overclock... In which case the PC4000 would be the wiser choice.

when it drops to 400Mhz, what timings it will be?

Memory timings make very little difference in real world applications.
I'm still puzzled why you cant get your current memory to run in dual channal.
is one double sided or something?

Is it sad that I've never heard of Lithuania?
I looked it up though since it sounded interesting :D

radeonic2 said:
Memory timings make very little difference in real world applications.
I'm still puzzled why you cant get your current memory to run in dual channal.
is one double sided or something?

Is it sad that I've never heard of Lithuania?
I looked it up though since it sounded interesting :D

"Is it sad that I've never heard of Lithuania?"
What do you mean by saying that?

radeonic2 said:
Matas said:
hehe :smile:

I mean I've never heard of the republic and I'm slightly embarrassed i.e :oops:

Oh...you don't know one of the most famous republic of the basketball. Sad...:)
So, I ordered Twinx2048-3200PC. Finally I will be able to play F.E.A.R. , BF2 and Far Cry without any stuttering:)

So I get mine Corsair Twinx2048-3200C2, but when I installed them mine motherboard DFI LanParty Ultra-D detected 3.0-3-3-8 timings.
In know that I must manually set ram voltage to 2.75 and then memory will be able to run at 2.0-3-3-6 timings. Please help me to do that.

Back