What do you think about Love?

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Do you believe in it? What do you think about it? Have you ever fallen into it? Or experienced it? How was the experience?

:smile:

Sorry, I wrote out a massive reply before realising it was waaay too personal. Funny that!

I believe in it, I've experienced and yes it's nice. Although I'd caveat that with... for me the majority of the time love = human females.

Don't think I'll ever experience the all encompassing feeling I had when I was a punk kid. For me at least, "adult love" is more comforting than exciting. Not ranking either feeling, just saying it... cos I'm here.

It was so hard to write this without sounding like a weirdo. Even so, I think I've used a few weird phrases: principally human females & adult love.

EDIT: Hope you don't mind me saying but I think I've seen a couple of these "type" of topics from you Deepak. I might be wrong though. Anyway, being massively presumptous here, but is the Western concept of relationships viewed as better/exciting/weird/just plain odd to Indians?

I am an Indian...and I dig the Western style of love. Its a lot more free. But then again I bring an Indian twist to it most likely because of my upbringing. I like how a lot of American females are open minded about touchy topics (sex, their body etc). Indian women in general arent like that unless they are married and therein lies my problem. To me love is equal parts respect, sexual attraction, being there for one another, etc etc. If I am attracted to a girl I dont want to find out what she is like until after I am married! I want to know right away no beating around the....uhh...bush (no pun intended). RIght now I am dating an American girl well since the past 5 years...I intend to get married to her and to me she is perfect in every way. She suprises me, she is exciting and she is intelligent. Rare find actually. My parents are a bit apprehensive about this and many times they have tried to break us up but we have fought through all that. It has been difficult but the feeling when I am with her is so worth it. So in short yeah love exists, you have to play your cards right and the experience is great and I hope it remains so.

My parents are a bit apprehensive about this and many times they have tried to break us up but we have fought through all that.
Have a grand child and all will be forgiven.

It's much too rare and usually doesn't last very long (hence it wasn't real to begin with). Real love exists like once per 10 million couples.

I'm certainly of the opinion that most people haven't found true love; whatever that is & however you'd measure it. Most people settle for whatever comes along.

Good for them cos I suppose it's enough & makes them happy. But as _xxx_ said romanticised love is a rarity.

Ooh, how very condescending of me!

Please allow me to put on my emo get-up:

Romantic Love: something I currently hope to never find, seeing the role it has played in people's lives, and knowing the kind of person I would be to live with.

Other than that, it's nice for the most part, assuming things like reciprocity and the lack of stalking, etc.

Too many different kinds of love for a single post. First love? Love of a friend. Love for a sibling or parent. Love for your child. Ad nauseum. Romantic love, though, is the best. The last time I fell head-over-heels in love was with a girl I met back in '86 on a 2-week trip in Europe. It didn't last and it took me about two years to fully get over it. Started dating again very late in '88 and met my wife the next spring.

Love is one of those weird things that people chase after all their lives and never get it. It's when we give up and no longer try to find it, that it finds us. I believe alot of married couples love one another, but it is hard to imagine them still being in a passionate love as such when they were still new to each other. I guess that's the thing about it. Romantic love is like a brand new computer or a brand new toy. We are all into it for the first few weeks or months or whatever period of time and then it sort of fades away into something different. Romance can still be had though! A lot of guys simply don't take their time for it, but bringing home some roses for the wife or surprising her with a weekend getaway is always sure to spark up a fire.

Love to me is said very well in Yours, Mine, and Ours by the character Frank Beardsley when he says, "It's giving life that counts. Until you're ready for it, all the rest is just a big fraud. All the crazy haircuts in the world won't keep it turning. Life isn't a love in, it's the dishes and the orthodontist and the shoe repairman and... ground round instead of roast beef. And I'll tell you something else: it isn't going to a bed with a man that proves you're in love with him; it's getting up in the morning and facing the drab, miserable, wonderful everyday world with him that counts."

I speaks of love in a higher sense than just pure raw animalistic attraction. It is really love in its highest form. Love is sacrifice, serving, giving, concern for well being, compassion, and kindness. If your into the Bible there is a great definition of it, heck, even if your not.
1 Corinthians 13:1-8
1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. 4Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

C.S. Lewis put it in another way in The Problem of Pain. If you don't know who he is, he is the guy that wrote the Chronicles of Narnia.
"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained."

There is another which is speak of a different aspect of love by C.S. Lewis. I think this one is from Mere Christianity
“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.â€￾

Well, that love to me. The mushy gushy feeling and butterfly in your stomach is only a very small part of it. A very good example, though you may not believe it, is Jesus Christ. You can put it down to be just a myth, fairy tale, or a good story, take your pick, but even then is it not a great display of love.

Well, personally i really believe in it. Even though just recently i just had to end my relationship with my latest gf (which i still love a lot) i really learned a lot about our relationship and even hope that someday things could be back to normal.

I found my love, quite a while ago. So I believe in it. Problem is, it didn't, doesn't and won't ever work out the way I'd love to, and is thus the worst thing happening to me, sort of. I still believe in it, and do everything for it, but sadly it hurts more than it does for good.

But I know, deep in my heart, it's the right thing to do... The only thing of worth. For me,

-Loving a Person is having the wish to see this Person happy, no matter what that means to yourself.
-No matter what it means to myself....

(Can be for an animal, or even an object, depending on case, too)

I found my love, quite a while ago. So I believe in it. Problem is, it didn't, doesn't and won't ever work out the way I'd love to, and is thus the worst thing happening to me, sort of. I still believe in it, and do everything for it, but sadly it hurts more than it does for good.

But I know, deep in my heart, it's the right thing to do... The only thing of worth. For me,

That would rather be something called co-dependance, not love. Love goes genuinely both ways and fullfills both persons.

EDIT: I wholeheartedly recommend you people to go read "Healing the Shame That Binds You" and "Homecoming" by John Bredshaw, while it's not about love but other things that might explain lots of stuff some of you falsely qualify as love. Seriously, go read it. Digi, you don't need to, you know it all.

"Definition: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope...
Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

HK-47, assassin droid.

"Definition: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope...
Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

HK-47, assassin droid.

:LOL:
He was one of my favorite chars from KOTOR :LOL: :LOL:

Oh and I'm a hopeless romantic.. bla...

Back