What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
impressions?

It's a fun filled shoot-em-up game. If you liked the first, you'll like this second one. I bought the first one when it came out on steam and now a year or two later purchased the second one. I think I prefer this game style to the typical FPS.

Time-wise it's a bit of a short play, maybe about 6 hours. The first game was significantly longer, from what I recall about twice as long, perhaps more. In Survivor, there's one big-boss battle earlier on then numerous time-based survive the attack sort of levels spread throughout the 20-some levels. The cinematics add to the storyline. You play as three different characters, a marine, a sniper, and a pyro. Each offers their own unique weapons and style of play, with their character/weapon upgrades.

They placed 20 secrets through the various levels that unlock various bonus options. The ones I know about are "Black and White mode", "All Weapons and 100 upgrade points", and "Over the top physics". There's more that I hadn't unlocked yet. This gives it a fair bit of replay value. They include a Co-Op mode, however it's local PC only, so no net-play (my only complaint). Another play mode is stand-alone Survivor mode where your goal is to survive as long as possible to rack up the highest score.

Graphically it's pretty slick with more eye-candy than the first. It even includes AGEIA physics support. It runs more than fine on my rig with everything set to max, even without the dedicated PPU.

I'm hoping they release a third survivor game next year that includes networked co-op play.

There's some minor glitches, with one stemming from Vista 64bit. The largest one causes the first initial level loading to take forever (~10 minutes for me) while it's stuck at 55% with no hard-drive activity going on. After that first level loads, all the other level loads during that gaming session is quick. The other minor glitch is some bonus modes not showing up. I did have to manually install the DirectX Redist.

The development team is active on their forum and the steam forum. They posted about having to install the latest DirectX Redist if your system didn't already have it installed. They've sent PMs to people effected by the bonus-mode glitch telling them how to re-enable the bonus modes. They're working on the first patch to address bugs, glitches, and looking for insight to further balance the levels.

I'm now on Team Fortress II only.
(Crysis isn't playable, CoD4 is too realistic [die every 3 meter])

CoD4 a bit, off and on. I just can't get into it. I hate the ultra fake military "spy" view during the load screens so much. It's funny in a game like Command and Conquer where its very much done for over-the-topness, but in CoD4 its just cheesy for a game that takes its self so seriously.

As for right now I'm playing the hell out of the Line Tower Wars and Footmen Frenzy mods for Warcraft III. Just so much fun and such a massive timesink.

Kane and Lynch

How did his game receive such a low score? I really like it. Albeit, the controls are clunky, the AI isn't the brightest, and Lynch's mental instability is sort of hack sometimes. "This place makes me uncomfortable! Now I'll just black out and kill everyone." But, I kind of like playing the antihero. If you were a fan of "Heat," which personally I think is the greatest action movie in known existence, then I don't see how you wouldn't like this game. K&L replicates it to a t. Even Lynch's appearance is reminiscent of Waingro's. The story is pretty engrossing, which I read in Gamespot's review was one of the lower points of the game. I disagree. It's pretty fun to knock over banks, and engage in shootouts with the police. Also the near death experiences are a nice touch. You get too shot up, and you black out, hearing all sorts of voices from your past. You can even OD from painkillers, if they're administered too frequently. If you like your games squeaky clean, I do not on any level recommend this. The language is foul. Suffice to say the "F" word is dropped somewhere in the millions. The violence is over the top. And the message is nowhere near safe for kids. But if you feel like playing the bad guy for a little bit, I recommend this game.

And, obviously Crysis. But until I get my new processor, I really can't enjoy it to the fullest extent.

Last edited by a moderator:
F.E.A.R. multiplayer. It's quite literally the only game I'm playing at the moment. If I ever get around to building that sweet gaming rig I'll play UT3, GOW, TimeShift, Jericho, HL2 E1&2, TF2, Portal, WIC, Supreme Commander, and probably a million others I've forgotten.

I finally got Two Worlds and started it, I can't get into it. The controls feel awkward and terrible, the character models shake and jitter and look like barely evolved ape men. Then again, i've only installed up to patch 1.2 (there is a 1.2 right? I downloaded it back when the game was released in anticipation of getting it, only to...not). And the damn latest patch is over a gig, though I notice it says it includes graphical fixes. Just what does the latest patch do exactly? I can't seem to find details...

I really want to like this game, sell it to me! :p

*edit* The distant landscape looks really wierd too... There's no detail at all where distant buildings or structures intersect with the ground, giving things an ultra-cheesy and fake look. But what's wierd is that the outside distances look almost like Source engine skyboxes...ie; small, relatively well detailed areas that have been scaled up and stretched around you to give the illusion of a fullsize 3d world (ok, not quite like that in Source, but for comparisons sake...) I really hate to be the graphics whore in what is obviously a fun and engaging RPG, but it really does diminish the charm for me.

sell it? hardly my forte. but... gothic2 comes to mind. exactly the same, only different.

my rig: fx60 (water cooled, though not overclocked yet), 2G DDR, x1900xtx, raptor, xp2

you?

TestDrive Unlimited - free form arcade racing done right...
Enemy Engaged Comanche vs Hokum - Best helo sim evar
Clive Barkers Jericho - Not scary :( makes we wonder how much input clive barker had in this game
Delta Force BlackHawk Down - great game..
The Babylon Project - Do you have this game ? if not you deserve to be beaten

I'm still playing massive Team Fortress 2. This one is my game of the year. I keep reaching for it even when I have a lot of other big name stuff to play.

Gnerma, do you play SP? or with friends? i got that as part of my orange box deal, but haven't even fired it up, as i hear it's more of an MP online deal. is that incorrect?

Four-in-a-row and Lagno, two best games included with Ubuntu!

I'm to lazy to setup my Vista partition again, and honestly I have no desire to game at all right now. Kind of sad.

Since Crysis has convinced me that tropical jungles are great locations for a game ive decided to re-install boiling point

Ok, Windows Vista back on the PC. Call of Duty 4 MP called, said it still rocked, and I agree with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back