Weird rumor on proposed NV40 name

keegdsb said:
Nah, it's gotta be the Nvidia9 Ticket2Ride6000.

Tikka to Ride? 8)

ben6 said:
Now I've heard that The Inquirer is saying NV40 will be called GEFORCE FX 6900 which to me is a strange name.

Why would Geforce FX 6xxx be a strange name? It's the obvious name.

FX 6900 from the same company who took drastic measures to make a "nude Dusk" patch impossible through clever use of clipping?
Please :rolleyes: (read: Think harder :p Or maybe not as hard I guess lol)

Uttar

I think whatever they name it, the number start with a 6, since it's the 6th "generation"

GeForce 1
GeForce 2
GeForce 3
GeForce 4
GeForce FX 5xxx
GeForce FX 6xxx

GF1/GF2 and GF3/GF4 were the same generation so maybe they can skip the naming to 7xxx and maybe drop the Fx.

PS Can you imagine:

Engineering to Management: NV30 is finally ready, it is hotter, slower and more expensive to make.

Management: Let's name it Fx to honor a great company.

ben6 said:
Now I've heard that The Inquirer is saying NV40 will be called GEFORCE FX 6900 which to me is a strange name. But I heard from what I would call a reliable source that NV's new card will follow in the naming scheme from a company that's no longer with us.....

The nVidia Voodoo FX???

That's the weird part of the rumor. If the name is 6000, what does that portend for the names of the mainstream/value parts of the card? Unless NVIDIA is planning not to follow the 5200/5500/5600/5700/5800/5900 pattern, which I would also be thankful for.

Imagine calling their next card Geforce FX 6000 Value, Mainstream, Ultra or somesuch. I could live with that. And it would make a hell of a lot more sense than 5100 5200 5300 5400 5500 5600 et al

I should also state that even if that is the name for the next card now things can and do change. For example, I still have the old NDAed first PDF on NV35 where it was called Geforce FX 6800 ....

Again, I highly doubt a high-end part will be close to 6000 -- because of the 5950 which is already an enthusiast product.

Didn't nVidia unviel a naming scheme for the PCI Express boards? PCX or somehting like that? I'd expect them to continue that name with a new number (ie 6xxx).

noodles said:
Didn't nVidia unviel a naming scheme for the PCI Express boards? PCX or somehting like that? I'd expect them to continue that name with a new number (ie 6xxx).
Yeah. It'll be FX 6xxx for AGP boards, PCX 6xxx for PCIE. Maybe. ;)

As I said it was a weird rumor, that seems to have just been corraborated by another source. Personally I really wish NVIDIA would go back to the days where they thought of a new name every new architecture like Riva128, Riva TNT, Geforce, but that's just me. I'd rather a company build it's name brand than a brand name .

ben6 said:
:D ah my source panned out now if i can get some R420 rumors going

Uhm, I heard it's going to be a 32x4 pipeline arrangement clocked at 600/1300 and they're going to call it the "MaryJane Special"?

Is that good enough? :|

incurable said:
mikechai said:
GeForce FX 69

:devilish:
:) ... bundled with Dusk / Dawn hug-pillows :)
Inflatable pillows....
naughty.gif

Back