WEIRD modem issue

trust-no1

Newcomer
have had a problem with my dialup 56k modem..this issue has just recently started happening...all of a sudden it started making these strange crackling noises..now sometimes it doesnt effect the download rate..but someitmes it does and sometimes it would disconnect me from the internet..i unplugged the cord from back of modem that connects it to the computer and still the crackling noise occurs..same issue with unplugging the phone plug from the modem..it seems to be the power plug thats plugged into the modem thats cuasing the crackling...1 strange thing i ahve noticed is, if i connect to the net, and turn my monitor off and leave it running for 5 mins or so..if i then turn ON the monitor..as soon as it turns on,, the modem would start crackling and disconnect from the net..I did this procedure 3 times and it disconnected 3 times...anyway the monitor can be causing the modem too crackle and disconnect ???

thanx

Well if turning on the monitor immediatly causes the modem to crackle and disconnect then it seems certain that the monitor is the culprit. Monitors use pretty powerful magnetic fields and quite high voltages, so it is not beyond the realms of probability.

You mention this occurs when you power the monitor on. Have you checked to see if it does it when you power the monitor on, but the monitor is not connected to the computer. It is worth giving this a try, if the crackling/disconection doesn't occur with the monitor not connected then it is worth getting a replacement cable (which judging from your other thread you may need anyway).

Hope this helps,

CC

Yeah tried it a couple more times, didnt do it this time..doesnt seem to do it everytime but like 60% of the time...very weird

Havent tried it without the cord disconnected from the comp yet..

okay..I actually turned the monitor off and left it off for a bit and the modem crackled and disconnected, even though the monitor is off..hmm now im confused what it coudl be..cant be the monitor still can it? considering it was off... :cry:

Back