we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence

It's nicer to link to Google Maps. Such intersections are not uncommon in the UK (or elsewhere in Europe) either. However the A355 is not a "motorway". And I doubt the cloverleaf would fix a 1h delay.

Sorry.

The aggravating thing about that interchange is that it backs up the M40 for miles in all lanes thanks to everyone trying to work around and back left.

Are there really Brits who believe the UK motorways handle traffic anywhere near as well as the US or parts of the EU?

Bear in mind that the population (and therefore road) density in the South East of England is extremely high. I doubt you'll find similar density in much of the US. It's handy to remember that the land area of England is less than that of New York state but we have a population of 50 million or so, many of whom live in the South East of the country. If you travel virtually anywhere in the South East during busy periods you'll encounter huge amounts of traffic and hence delays.

Additionally, the "cloverleaf" junctions you like are just not viable in most places in the UK as we don't have the space. Land is scarce and therefore expensive!

These figures seem to show that around 10 times as many people are killed on the roads in the US as the UK as a whole. However, 25 times as many people are killed on US freeways as compared to UK motorways.

Not surprising really as your freeways travel much greater distances than our motorways but the figures are still in our favour. :p

The unavoidable nature of UK traffic/congestion doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Thankfully you blokes have trains and coaches to offset the headaches of car travel - things we lack almost completely.

The higher death rates are probably a combination of higher car travel (compared to train/subway/coach), faster speeds and the fact that it's legal to pass on the right (your left) on US highways - much more like video game driving over here.

No. The brits drink coffee, they just have this wholly unimaginable fascination with instant coffee - incredibly strong, bitter, instant coffee. On occasion a better hotel or restaurant will offer "brewed" coffee (aka the real stuff), but mostly it's so nasty that you'll want to switch to tea.

No. The brits drink coffee, they just have this wholly unimaginable fascination with instant coffee - incredibly strong, bitter, instant coffee. On occasion a better hotel or restaurant will offer "brewed" coffee (aka the real stuff), but mostly it's so nasty that you'll want to switch to tea.

Instant Coffee is because if your going to spend time making a hot drink, its got to be a decent one worth investing time in, which their can only be one real candidate, Tea :p

Ahem. We've been drinking coffee for longer than you Americans. They were all the rage back in the 17th Century. ;)

Plenty of people do indeed drink instant coffee here (they also drink god-awful tea as well) but oddly enough, a coffee-bar culture is working its way over here and you can get decent stuff from plenty of places these days. I live in a small provincial town but I can think of three cafes/bars where I can get a good cup of coffee within 5 minutes walk of where I'm sitting. This would have been unheard of ten years ago.

*cough*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium*cough* Apparently, not only did you guys butcher the language, you don't know how to use Google :| Even Wiki page says : "Aluminum redirects here" in an effort to get you guys to pronounce it correctly.

Read the etymology, the guy who invented/discovered it, decided to call it aluminum, some brit decided they needed another syllable. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet, if we can move to the short european work-week.... I'M ALL FOR IT. Will i have to go back to college and retake "english?"

Don't forget we now get the entire month of August off too, plus universal health care, higher cost of living and lower wages... :(

So can I start saying "zed" instead of "z" and "coupAY" now instead of "coupe"?

I had a blast doing that at the Nissan ("ni-sun", not "NEE-san" ;) ) dealer last year, kept getting weird looks and my wife kept giggling. (She's a Top Gear fan too)

Sweet, if we can move to the short european work-week.... I'M ALL FOR IT. Will i have to go back to college and retake "english?"

What short week are you talking about? We're working min. 40 hours a week, plus overtime.

"Discover" and "invent" are very different things ;)

Perhaps you've got something on your eyeglasses or your monitor is missing a bunch of pixels where I typed discovered. Or perhaps you're intentionally being a prick, its hard to tell.

So can I start saying "zed" instead of "z" and "coupAY" now instead of "coupe"?

I had a blast doing that at the Nissan ("ni-sun", not "NEE-san" ;) ) dealer last year, kept getting weird looks and my wife kept giggling. (She's a Top Gear fan too)

And you can stop saying "JAGwar" as well

Back