Water cooling/silent computing

Ofcourse you need some fans in your case, but you'll still need that with watercooling too. If you have a heavy system you'll need one for the radiator and you need one or two anyway to get to hot air out of your case caused by all other parts (and you'll probably want a fan infront of your hdd too).

With an external Reserator 2 you need one fewer fans as there is no fan for the radiator.

With an external Reserator 2 you need one fewer fans as there is no fan for the radiator.
It seems to be with the reserator, you need exactly 1 fan: the power supply fan, and have it draw air in for the HDs.

And I made sure my power supply is quiet when I upgraded it last year, so I think I'm good there. About to pull the trigger on the reserator. Gimme a reason not to.

It seems to be with the reserator, you need exactly 1 fan: the power supply fan, and have it draw air in for the HDs.

And I made sure my power supply is quiet when I upgraded it last year, so I think I'm good there. About to pull the trigger on the reserator. Gimme a reason not to.

Don't forget the chipset! Might want a video card ram waterblock too...

Reasons not to get a Reserator 2:
Desk space (cannot put it on the floor)
Geek factor (I *hate* explaining what "that thing" is to "normal" people :))
Yearly coolant changes
Geek factor

Mize, what's your rig?

I have been considering a rig but if I go water I want to go all water and I want to go high quality at that.

I would be cooling the following with it:

Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.8GHz
X1950 Pro (possible upgrade depending on how soon we see the $300~ card from AMD for Dx10)
Gigabyte P965-DS3 northbridge (Intel 965P chipset, of course)

I'm about due for an upgrade:

DFI LanPartyUT RDX200 CF-DR
Athlon64 4400+ X2 Toledo
2x1GB OCZ PC3200 Plt-EL
300GB Maxtor MaXLine III 7L300S0 SATA150 HD
320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS
Lite-On SOHW-1693S DVD+R
ATI x1800-XT (flashed to Sapphire "PE")
OCZ Powerstream 520w power supply
Windows XPPSP2/SuSE 10.2
Dell 24" widescreen LCD

Mize, what's your rig?

I have been considering a rig but if I go water I want to go all water and I want to go high quality at that.

I would be cooling the following with it:

Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.8GHz
X1950 Pro (possible upgrade depending on how soon we see the $300~ card from AMD for Dx10)
Gigabyte P965-DS3 northbridge (Intel 965P chipset, of course)

How complicated are you willing to go? Do you mind piecing things together or would you really prefer a system like the Koolance Exos?

If you're OK with the former, maybe take a look at the Asetek stuff, they seem to get good reviews all the time.

How complicated are you willing to go? Do you mind piecing things together or would you really prefer a system like the Koolance Exos?

If you're OK with the former, maybe take a look at the Asetek stuff, they seem to get good reviews all the time.

I'm fine with a complicated build, the constant care is the only part that would possibly turn me away. Even then if constant care is easy or does not take to much time then I'd be willing to give it a go.

I have looked at the Asetek kits before, specifically the dual 120mm radiator setup. I would be pairing it with a Gigabyte 3D Aurora, which might go well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asestek is harder to find here in the US, but I really like the Danger Den stuff :)
If I were going for overclocking/TEC stuff I'd build a 1/2" DD system.

I'm fine with a complicated build, the constant care is the only part that would possibly turn me away. Even then if constant care is easy or does not take to much time then I'd be willing to give it a go.

I would think/hope that the better ones need little to no upkeep. Maybe every 6 months check fluid levels. Shouldn't need or require more than that I believe.

I have looked at the Asetek kits before, specifically the dual 120mm radiator setup. I would be pairing it with a Gigabyte 3D Aurora, which has might go well.

Ah, we think alike. That's what I was looking at as well. When I take a deeper plunge into Watercooling, I'll probably get that very same set up. Nice case, never heard of it before but I'm looking at the Coolermaster Stacker 830 Evo though that one looks like it would work extremely well with the two 120mm fans in the rear!

Asestek is harder to find here in the US, but I really like the Danger Den stuff :)
If I were going for overclocking/TEC stuff I'd build a 1/2" DD system.

Yea, Asetek is a bit hard to find. Danger Den stuff looks really good too but more boutique-ish.

Ok, I bit the bullet and bought the reserator2 @ SVC Computing for $286 delivered.

I hope I don't end up regretting it. :)

Ok, I bit the bullet and bought the reserator2 @ SVC Computing for $286 delivered.

I hope I don't end up regretting it. :)

Let me know if you have any questions. I would stress the "tilt the reservoir to remove bubbles" strongly. If you get all the air out of the blocks and reservoir that flow indicator will spin very fast. If it's moving slowly there are probably still air bubble in the reservoir.

A good case, big, with multiple large and slow fans, an air duct on top of the CPU and a good PSU is also quite quiet. While I can (just) hear mine, my keyboard (a flat one, membrane) makes a lot more noise than the PC. And I've got 6 hard disks, an X2 and a X1950 Pro inside.

I've been eyeing the Reserator 2 for my next PC, but now I think the Reserator XT may be the way forward - if the power and heat ouput of R600 turns out to be as high the rumours suggest...

Reserator 2 finally showed up, and I've begun the installation.

Things I don't like:
The resevoir has a tiny hole in the cap (designed to prevent a sealed system, I presume). It also means that you can't tilt it on its side for carrying or it'll dribble a little bit.

The 'quick connect' fittings are that, but when you disconnect, they leak a small amount of coolant. C'est la vie, I suppose. I'm not sure they're capable of keeping the cooling in the tubes when disconnected without dribbling, either.

The impeller in the flow meter on the resevoir/pump makes a quiet clicking. Think of it as the tell tale heart.

The CPU block was pretty nice, and went on reasonably easily.

I haven't tried the VGA cooler, since my card is passively cooled already and don't want to upset it.

You need distilled water, which I wasn't expecting. I went out and the local corner store had some (kinda surprising to me) and it doesn't take much (1.25 liters).

Other than that, it comes with everything you need.

I've spent about an hour installing tonight, and I'll finish up tomorrow when I'm ready to route and cut tubes.

The resevoir has a tiny hole in the cap (designed to prevent a sealed system, I presume). It also means that you can't tilt it on its side for carrying or it'll dribble a little bit.

Wait, you DON'T want a sealed system? Doesn't that mean that evaporation will be an issue then?

The 'quick connect' fittings are that, but when you disconnect, they leak a small amount of coolant. C'est la vie, I suppose. I'm not sure they're capable of keeping the cooling in the tubes when disconnected without dribbling, either.

My watercooling system uses those and yea, they dribble a bit too. They unfortunately also inject more air into the system when unhooking and re-hooking them back up.

This is what I have done with my new computer:

1.) Arctic silencer 7 Pro for the CPU (very nice cooler, inexpensive too)
2.) Zalman cooler for the graphics card, 6 Volts
3.) Got some thin bitumen plates and sound-insulation-foam from an electro store and put it in my case.
4.) A very silent 12" cooler to move the hot air out.

The result: I cannot hear my working computer at 1,5 m distance (and I have good ears) :) The components are as cool as they were prior to insulation. I have a case from Xilence, with a very good thermal concept - the PSU is at the bottom and the case has well-placed air ventilation holes.

All that cost me less then 60 Euro and a bit of work. I can only recommend it!

Back