Watch_Dogs by Ubisoft

Thats fantastic to me ! Water looks at par with PC ! Putting my money in tonight ! :cool:

They do look somewhat acceptable for a 900p game, but a good chunk of game has very terrible graphics that really ruins the consistency here. Would be interesting to see a DF analysis tho.

Have you actually tested that as I find it insane that that would be the case, We've seen other examples recently of CPU requirements that turned out to be completely unwarranted.

I haven't tested it myself. Early second hand information suggest that i5-3750k can't hold steady 60 fps, no matter what graphical settings they use. I would be really happy if that information turns out to be wrong.

The last couple of videos I've seen kinda got me interested in the game again. Actually seems like a lot of fun. Visuals are plenty pretty as well - it may not lend itself as well to capturing pretty pictures like Infamous, but as a representation of a big city it's much more convincing. I thinnk that is way more important -, but that's a part of the game I only ever give a shit about for 5 minutes anyway.

Credit where credit's due, that water does look fantastic. Very realistic murk. Game's graphics are all over the shop though.
I think they've gone for realistic across the board, despite the fact that this can produce a flat lifeless image. Like real life when light is too soft to cast shadows

8098.jpeg

This is what it's like outside today here in London. Sometime's life just looks lifeless and dull.

The last couple of videos I've seen kinda got me interested in the game again. Actually seems like a lot of fun. Visuals are plenty pretty as well -

Same feelings here. The PS4 videos I have been watching since morning today have all convinced me for both gameplay and gfx. The game seems good. Will be downloading tomorrow.

This is what it's like outside today here in London. Sometime's life just looks lifeless and dull.

Thats where artisits come in, to make sure a virtual space never feels dull and lifeless. But yes, one cannot guarantee spot on post card pictures at all TODs.

Thats where artisits come in, to make sure a virtual space never feels dull and lifeless. But yes, one cannot guarantee spot on post card pictures at all TODs.

I think they faced a dilemma. They could have cheaped out and done what Infamous does: have set times of day with pre-baked lighting. On the plus side it looks fantastic all the time and the pre-baked environmental lighting likely saves CPU and GPU resources for other things. On the minus side Chicago looks way bigger than Seattle (so that's a lot of pre-baked assets required) and the really big minus; you rob the player of choosing when (TOD) to do missions. If you remove this choice things like the blackout become very limited.

An alternative is limiting the weather system to never only generate soft lighting but then you really can't set it in Chicago because that's not Chicago. Los Angeles is the obvious city to do this but.. GTA V. Or they could have deliberately crafted the daytime effects to a more stylised, interesting-looking, environment. But then you're having to transition between realistic (dusk, night, dawn) environments to stylised ones which could be quite jarring.

I'm happy with the choices they made. The game reflects reality, interesting or not, very well.

I think they faced a dilemma. They could have cheaped out and done what Infamous does: have set times of day with pre-baked lighting. On the plus side it looks fantastic all the time and the pre-baked environmental lighting likely saves CPU and GPU resources for other things. On the minus side Chicago looks way bigger than Seattle (so that's a lot of pre-baked assets required) and the really big minus; you rob the player of choosing when (TOD) to do missions. If you remove this choice things like the blackout become very limited.

Can you really pick at what time of day you do the missions? Despite day and night cycles in most open world games (at least the newer ones), the designers usually pick specific lighting and weather conditions for the missions.

Calling what Suckerpunch did in Infamous "cheaping out" is kind of a low blow, btw. I'm pretty sure that getting the entire city to look as splendid as it did was an enormous undertaking. As for the size of the city. Having a dev team the size of a small island nation is probably the only reason why your typical Ubisoft game is as massive in scope as it is. Half of Montreal works on these games after all.

Can you really pick at what time of day you do the missions? Despite day and night cycles in most open world games (at least the newer ones), the designers usually pick specific lighting and weather conditions for the missions.
Yes, missions are not set to scripted times and you can sleep at your hideout and set the wakeup time to anything - like in Far Cry 2.

Calling what Suckerpunch did in Infamous "cheaping out" is kind of a low blow, btw.
You're right. It was a stylistic decision for that game that made sense given that ISS is a comic book game set in a comic book world. They never sold the game on a living, breathing city which sets it apart from Watch_Dogs. As far as I can tell there is no mechanics that change with TOD in ISS, whereas in WD line of sight visibility will vary depending on time, lighting and weather. I suppose when you're lit like a Christmas tree like Delsin, you kind of stand out ;) I was disappointed at the lack of dynamics of Seattle though. And at the lack of diversity in pedestrian AI.

Having checked my PlayStation 4 this morning, it looks like it pre-loaded over night.

The Notifications - Downloads list show is downloaded:

2014-05-26%20Watch%20Dogs%20%281%29.jpg

System Settings - Storage - Applications show is taking up 22Gb:

2014-05-26%20Watch%20Dogs%20%282%29.jpg

And it's right there:

2014-05-26%20Watch%20Dogs%20%283%29.jpg

Having checked my PlayStation 4 this morning, it looks like it pre-loaded over night.

The Notifications - Downloads list show is downloaded:

2014-05-26%20Watch%20Dogs%20%281%29.jpg

System Settings - Storage - Applications show is taking up 22Gb:

2014-05-26%20Watch%20Dogs%20%282%29.jpg

And it's right there:

2014-05-26%20Watch%20Dogs%20%283%29.jpg

Gaffers reported that preload was active in EU but not in US. Dont know if that changed in the last 2 days after I saw those reports.

Gaffers reported that preload was active in EU but not in US. Dont know if that changed in the last 2 days after I saw those reports.
Yeah, but for lots of people in the EU the pre-loads only began recently and given the US are several hours behind, their preloads may not start at the same time.

13 hours. Yay for download and unlock at 00:01 BST :)

Amazon.co.uk just shipped my physical copy (sorry, old flashioned me):

We thought you'd like to know that we've dispatched your item(s). Your order is on
the way, and can no longer be changed.

Your estimated delivery date is:
Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Fortunately it's Ascension day here on thursday (= long weekend) so all the time of the world to play Watchdogs and/or Wolfenstein.

I think they've gone for realistic across the board, despite the fact that this can produce a flat lifeless image. Like real life when light is too soft to cast shadows

No, it's flat. ;) Light is never too soft to cast shadows. At it's softest, there's a massive hemispherical light-source. Zero direct light shadows but lots of 'ambient occlusion' shadowing. Look at the deep shadowing under the porch at the back in your photo. Some of the WD shots completely lack that, which is plain broken. You also get subtle highlighting in creases where surfaces reflect off each other and intensify the illumination. It's hard to pick out if you go looking, but its presence makes for realism. You also have very subtle contact shadows in real life.

Putting it another way, if an overcast scene has no lighting or shadowing, we'd have been able to achieve photorealism in the 90s. ;) If you just Google image search "Ambient Occlusion" (which is itself a simplification of GI and secondary lighting, so is only a step towards realism), you get some good comparisons like this one. More overcast days make the AO aspect more prominent, while with direct sunlight and high contrast, secondary lighting (the wall light in this pic from WD) and self-shadowing are going to be more important. WD is getting both wrong in a lot of instances, although strangely, not universally.

Back