Warning: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

Not just 1tb and larger effected

Well I have found out the hard way that this problem effects ALL of the Barracuda 7200.11 series, as my 500 gb ST3500320AS just bricked itself. I did not pay much attention to this because it was supposedly the larger drives that were the problem. I bought this drive back in October so I did not even remember that it was of this series. Oh well, I will wait and see what Seagate says to do. But for those that may have one of these drives buy a new drive now!!!!

Jim

A friend of mine picked up a pair of 1.5TB 7200.11s. Should he be scared to death and return them or is there safety in a firmware update now?

I would return them. I don't like playing russian roulette with my computer and data. These drives just up and die with no warning, one day your computer won't boot and you are screwed.

Jim

And it's not ALL drives, only drives with the affected firmware. No drives with the firmare on my 1.5 TB drive has been reported by anyone as bricking. And mine was a launch 1.5.

And yes, smaller drives in the 7200.11 series can be affected if they have the affected firmware on them.

Still, as with any drive, it's worth making sure your data is backed up if you can't afford to lose it.

Regards,
SB

And it's not ALL drives, only drives with the affected firmware. No drives with the firmare on my 1.5 TB drive has been reported by anyone as bricking. And mine was a launch 1.5.

And yes, smaller drives in the 7200.11 series can be affected if they have the affected firmware on them.

Still, as with any drive, it's worth making sure your data is backed up if you can't afford to lose it.

Regards,
SB

1TB drives can brick. 1.5 TB drives have stalling issues and problems working with RAID.

TBH, if you have the opportunity to return a Seagate and replace it with something else, then I would do. It's just not worth the hassle and the expense, and I think the issues are not just a one-off batch problem but an endemic issue related to the cost-cutting and manufacturing ethos in the company. They just want to chuck out as much as possible as quickly and as cheaply as they can get away with.

Well I have found out the hard way that this problem effects ALL of the Barracuda 7200.11 series, as my 500 gb ST3500320AS just bricked itself. I did not pay much attention to this because it was supposedly the larger drives that were the problem. I bought this drive back in October so I did not even remember that it was of this series. Oh well, I will wait and see what Seagate says to do. But for those that may have one of these drives buy a new drive now!!!!

Jim

If you are in the US, Seagate are doing free recovery/reset of your drive, but you will have to phone them and hassle them to get it sorted. Your alternatives are to send the drive to an expensive recovery company, make a serial adaptor to reset it yourself, or send the drive to Seagate who will replace it for a refurb and kiss your data goodbye.

1TB drives can brick. 1.5 TB drives have stalling issues and problems working with RAID.

TBH, if you have the opportunity to return a Seagate and replace it with something else, then I would do. It's just not worth the hassle and the expense, and I think the issues are not just a one-off batch problem but an endemic issue related to the cost-cutting and manufacturing ethos in the company. They just want to chuck out as much as possible as quickly and as cheaply as they can get away with.

As I understand the issue, it was a bug in the firmware and not a hardware problem. As such, I don't see how this could be indicative of an endemic issue.

IBM had an (arguably) worse situation with the 75 GXP where it actually was a hardware issue, and yet those issues didn't carry forth into the succeeding generations of product.

If you mean an issue related to cost cutting by cutting people from the firmware making teams, then I suppose that could be a problem. However, I don't see that as being a large enough team within the company to be impacted by any manpower cuts.

Turned another way, I suppose you could say that Nvidia has an endemic issue related to driver writing with their horrible Vista launch drivers (for multiple months) that causes lock-ups, crashes, etc. and thus should avoid all Nvidia products. :p

Until it's shown to affect succeeding lines of products it's just unnecessarily vilifying a company.

Regards,
SB

As I understand the issue, it was a bug in the firmware and not a hardware problem. As such, I don't see how this could be indicative of an endemic issue.

IBM had an (arguably) worse situation with the 75 GXP where it actually was a hardware issue, and yet those issues didn't carry forth into the succeeding generations of product.

If you mean an issue related to cost cutting by cutting people from the firmware making teams, then I suppose that could be a problem. However, I don't see that as being a large enough team within the company to be impacted by any manpower cuts.

You just have to look at the way the situation was handled and how Seagate tried to ignore customers. That's enough to damn the company in itself.

Also look at the way that their new 3 platter drives have the same issues. I've even seen a few reports of problems with the 7200.12 drives, though these haven't been confirmed.

Turned another way, I suppose you could say that Nvidia has an endemic issue related to driver writing with their horrible Vista launch drivers (for multiple months) that causes lock-ups, crashes, etc. and thus should avoid all Nvidia products. :p

Until it's shown to affect succeeding lines of products it's just unnecessarily vilifying a company.

Regards,
SB

Indeed, a fault in part of the product that renders it very problematic and less reliable than a competitors is a good enough reason to steer clear if you want an easy life. If a company is happy to put out faulty products (whether known at the time or not) and then not give a damn about their customers (who have incurred extra hassle and cost), then yes, buy elsewhere.

Reliability in a storage medium is paramount, and unlike any other component, you can't just replace it and carry on, you lose all your data as well.

I think a serious problem here is that it's just getting too expensive for normal users to back up their data. I used to use CD-R and DVD-R to back up my data, but it's just too much a hassle. Furthermore, for now even Blu-ray discs are not large enough for reasonable data backup.

I think for normal users, the currently best solution for back up is a very large external hard disk. You can just make HD images and put them on the external hard disk, and then disconnect it. If one of your hard disk failed, you can easily recover from the disk image. You don't even have to reinstall system or something.

Of course, the problem with this scheme is that if your back up external hard disk failed with one of your working hard disk, then it's worthless. However, this is already a relatively less likely scenario. If you want you can even use two external hard disks and back up them alternatively, or use some RAID 1 setting in the external hard disk.

If you are in the US, Seagate are doing free recovery/reset of your drive, but you will have to phone them and hassle them to get it sorted. Your alternatives are to send the drive to an expensive recovery company, make a serial adaptor to reset it yourself, or send the drive to Seagate who will replace it for a refurb and kiss your data goodbye.

Tried that today and after waiting on hold for over 45 min I finally got through. After I explained that my drive had bricked and gave him my s/n and model number he said that I qualified for replacement only, not data recovery. It seems my s/n comes up as a an st3500641as instead of an st3500320as as shown on my drive. The 641 is a 7200.9 instead of 7200.11 like I have. They can't even get the s/n correct in their system. I had four other people double check the number to make sure I did not make a mistake. Now I will have to waste some more time on hold to get this sorted out. Fun times ahead. :cry:

Jim

My backup drive at home died two weeks ago. WD My Book. Had one of those "green" 1TB drives in it. :(

You just have to look at the way the situation was handled and how Seagate tried to ignore customers. That's enough to damn the company in itself.

Also look at the way that their new 3 platter drives have the same issues. I've even seen a few reports of problems with the 7200.12 drives, though these haven't been confirmed.
Holy shit, unconfirmed rumors of failures :?::!:
Quick they better drop everything & release a new firmware version that is somehow supposed to fix this unconfirmed, rumored & not clearly defined issue... :rolleyes:

Be serious.
A few people are always going to manage to fuckup their <insert product> & blame the manufacturer for their own stupidity/ignorance.
Likewise, some flaws will only ever show up when real people start using the <insert product> in real environments.

If there is a real problem, some of the service reps are going to start noticing & pointing out to relevant people that they are getting a bunch of customers contacting them with similar symptoms & who clearly haven't stuffed it up themselves. (or if the reps are lower level, it should show up through standard contact centre logging)

At that point, higher level people start trying to replicate the issue, checking test data etc to see if they can find a pattern as to what situations/firmware/hardware versions the problem occurs in.
If they find a pattern confirming an issue they then escalate further, causing eg the firmware writers to start checking code they changed since the last version that doesn't have that issue for bugs/errors.

Only once they find the problem can they work out a fix.

That fix then needs to be tested to make sure they didn't accidentally break something else.
If it does, they need to go through the same process of finding problem, coding & then testing a fix until they have a safe release.

Could be that all happens in a single afternoon, more likely it could take a few months to track down the scope/location of the issue & work out how to fix it.

Trying to cut the process short because you are in a hurry to fix the problem for your customers ASAP because you're getting crapped on by the internet gets you further stuff ups like a broken firmware upgrade software.
Or fixes that don't actually fix the issue because there hasn't been enough time to find the real cause...

Yes, the first few people that call about the issue might feel like they have been ignored & make a big stink on forums but thats just part of the process of separating genuine issues from background noise.

Seagate has a history of denials

"Amstrad later successfully sued Seagate, but following bad press over the hard disk problems, Amstrad lost its lead in the European PC market"

"Seagate argued that Amstrad had exacerbated its loss by withholding the 2386 from the market until a "shoe-shine" function could be added, when there were simpler solutions which would have been equally effective. The Judge held that Seagate's repeated denials that there was a problem with the ST277R entitled Amstrad to act as it did."

http://www.ipit-update.com/ictcon10.htm

Holy shit, unconfirmed rumors of failures :?::!:
Quick they better drop everything & release a new firmware version that is somehow supposed to fix this unconfirmed, rumored & not clearly defined issue... :rolleyes:

Be serious.
A few people are always going to manage to fuckup their <insert product> & blame the manufacturer for their own stupidity/ignorance.
Likewise, some flaws will only ever show up when real people start using the <insert product> in real environments.

The drives are very new, and so that's why I'm saying they are unconfirmed. The behaviour is similar, but the source of the failure has not been narrowed down. Given it took more than a year for Seagate to own up to the problem, and that a lot of people just send the faulty drives back, there's no way to know if the problem with the 7200.11 (including the new 3 platter versions) has gone over to the brand new 7200.12 designed and built at the same time as the 7200.11's massive failure.

You have to expect Seagate to deny the issue, but when you have thousands of people complaining (many losing multiple drives), data rescue companies seeing a massive increase in Seagate drive problems, Seagate so swamped with failures that they can't answer the phone and finally issue new firmware for just about every single one of their drives... well you'd have to be a pretty forgiving customer to be willing to give them your money for their next product just on their say so.

If there is a real problem, some of the service reps are going to start noticing & pointing out to relevant people that they are getting a bunch of customers contacting them with similar symptoms & who clearly haven't stuffed it up themselves. (or if the reps are lower level, it should show up through standard contact centre logging)

At that point, higher level people start trying to replicate the issue, checking test data etc to see if they can find a pattern as to what situations/firmware/hardware versions the problem occurs in.
If they find a pattern confirming an issue they then escalate further, causing eg the firmware writers to start checking code they changed since the last version that doesn't have that issue for bugs/errors.

There was a real problem, but the nature of the problem and the way the company works means that Seagate did not and could not track the problem. Because the drives were unusable, they were not analysed, they were just dismantled and the components recycled, with no trending noticed. Even just a few days before admitting the problem, customers were being told there were no issues and failures were within normal parameters. At the same time, rescue companies were seeing 90 times more Seagate failures than normal.

Yes, the first few people that call about the issue might feel like they have been ignored & make a big stink on forums but thats just part of the process of separating genuine issues from background noise.

A lot more than a few - or you think Seagate issued new firmware for every one of their current drives just for the fun of it? You can talk down the issue all you want, but when people have lost up to nine drives, or can't even format their raid array because the drives keep dropping out, why should anyone spend money on Seagate products if they want a life without that potential hassle? I personally reported the issue six months before Seagate owned up to it, and many people had been doing so for longer. 1.5 TB stalling issues had been reported for six months before that.

I thought the same thing - "it's an isolated case, it's just noise, it's not likely to happen to me". Sure enough six weeks later, like so many others, my drive was bricked and my data gone. Seagate gave me an old refurb, because they insisted it wasn't their fault, and that drive is showing errors and without a firmware upgrade the replacement would potentially brick (as had happened to other people). So even though I've now had a fix, I'm still out of pocket for shipping costs (nearly 20 percent of the cost of the drive), had the hassle of data loss, and ended up with a flaky second hand drive that is more like something I got cheaply off Ebay than the six week old drive that was sent back. Sure, if it fails Seagate will replace it with another refurb, but it will cost me time and hassle and 20 pecent of the drive cost in shipping and Seagate don't care about that.

They still continue to sell faulty product even though they knew there was an issue. If you have a drive in an external enclosure, there is no mechanism for updating it supplied by Seagate - if you take the drive out of the enclosure, you invalidate the warranty. Even now, people are getting refurbs back in replacement for bricked drives, and they have the old firmware that can potentially brick at some point in the future.

Do you think I would recommend that quality of product or level of service to anyone who wanted a quiet life until Seagate proves they are worthy of our custom? Sure, blow it off all you like, spend your money where you want, but don't pretend it's all rosy and cosy at Seagate or they are just nice guys with a bit of bad luck. They are just out to get as much cash with as cheap a product and service as possible, to the point where they've trashed their reputation and turned ten-year loyal customers against them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because the drives were unusable, they were not analysed, they were just dismantled and the components recycled, with no trending noticed.
Exactly.
A firmware problem that looks nearly exactly like a hardware failure & which is common across a wide variety of models & firmware versions like this one is going to be nearly impossible to separate from background hardware failures/customers breaking stuff -> takes a long time to get a fix out.

Exactly.
A firmware problem that looks nearly exactly like a hardware failure & which is common across a wide variety of models & firmware versions like this one is going to be nearly impossible to separate from background hardware failures/customers breaking stuff -> takes a long time to get a fix out.

The point is, this was way, way above the norm for hardware failures, and should have been investigated instead of disk just being thrown onto the refurb pile. There were many customers complaining of exactly the same symptoms and types of failures. There were corporate customers seeing 30-50 percent failure rates and arguing directly with Seagate reps about this.

There were at least two main suppliers of data recovery software/hardware who were reporting this issue, and issued major updates (well trumpeted and advertised), to their customers months before Seagate even acknowledged the issue. It was so well known, the failure even had it's own specific name to identify it. Seagate was well aware of this as they have their own data recovery company that is advertised on the main Seagate website. They were actually pointing customers to it at the same time as denying any issues with their drives.

If you're seeing what looks like massive increase in apparent hardware failures, across all varieties of models and firmware, you don't just ignore it.

However the Seagate corporate culture is set up to ignore all these problems, and it's only when the press got involved that they actually did something about the problem instead of ignoring it and screwing over their customers while they rushed their next-gen drive out to the market.

You only have to deal with Seagate for a few days on this matter to see the contempt they have for the customer. Ignore customer fault reports for weeks? Close faults without contacting the customer? Abruptly refuse to deal with customers on chat and direct them to the ignored fault system? Threaten to ban users off the official Seagate forums if they mention other websites where solutions/problems are being discussed (and censor PMs for same)? Issue faulty firmware upgrades that don't work the first time? Get old refurbs as replacement for nearly new drives? I've experienced all that, and I'm not the only one.

Seagate are not your friends who are just going through a bit of a bad patch - they are a greedy corporation who failed abysmally in making a realiable product or supporting their customers. We paid them money, and they didn't deliver. Why reward Seagate when there are other companies doing a better job and being more deserving of our money? I don't see a problem with customers like myself showing them the same loyalty and respect that Seagate showed to me. They'll have to work doubly hard to get my custom back, and if they can't be bothered, I'll vote with my wallet and go elsewhere. I just am giving others the option to learn from my problems before they make their purchase decisions.

In the old days, companies like Seagate would have been able to sweep all this under the rug, but nowadays the internet enables customers to mobilise together to get the message out, to show this isn't just some isolated case, or a few disgruntled people who don't know how to install a drive. You can find out what customers really experienced, not just what the corporate PR wants to tell you, and make your decisions accordingly. If it shows up the bad companies, if it tarnishes a reputation because of poor products or services, if it stop companies getting away with shafting their customers - that's only a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps there is a reason the Seagate 1.5TBs are available cheap in many online deals? My friend got a pair of them for $100 in some Dell deal he found. Maybe Dell wants to dump them.

I had a pair of 75GXPs that lasted about 4 years. Longer than they were useful to me. This Seagate issue seems much more pronounced than with those "online angry legend" IBM drives. ;)

Back